School me on Radon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 64bawagon
I did a lot of research when I sold my last house, most of which has already been discussed. What I will say is that I remain skeptical of the entire radon problem. I was unable to find one definitive test study proved the threshold amounts would increase your chances of cancer. If its out there, I didnt find it.

I do not know anyone where it was said they died of lung cancer from radon. Almost everyone I know who has died of lung cancer smoked.

With regards to venting through the roof, you probably want it up there where it can dissipate. Do you want be breathing in radon when you're outside if it were at ground level? Kinda defeats the whole point.

As for the leaving the window open, that will give you an even higher reading. The air has radon, if you move a larger volume of air through the detector, it's going to give you a higher reading. That's why the test is always done with windows and doors closed.

As for people with lung cancer, there's lots of people who have had it that didn't smoke. One guess is that it's from radon.

Radon is not something to mess with. If you have levels that read elevated you need to come up with some kind of remedy. Anywhere you are located next to ores that are subject to elevated levels will introduce Radon. The only remediation I am aware of is venting through the roof to reduce the levels.

My son just purchased a "used house" that had levels over 6. The company came out and installed a system for $1,400.00

We are around 4 reading in our basement. We do watch some TV down there. But other than that it's not living space. There are some guest bedrooms in the basement. So I considered the levels not actionable.

Originally Posted by Donald
Is there any way to went out without going all the way to the roof? That seems to be the biggest PIA.

Has anyone tried sealing seams and cracks in the basement floor?

What about an air to air heat exchanger?

My mother's radon system goes out the side of the house just above the foundation.

With all the millenials residing in their Moms basements we should have definitive proof of Radon's effects by testing that age group in 20 yrs or so.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
With all the millenials residing in their Moms basements we should have definitive proof of Radon's effects by testing that age group in 20 yrs or so.

[off-topic]
Did your generation did never get drunk? on drugs? have children out of marriage?
I wonder what your elders talked about your generation....

Here, they live or rent $250k-600k modern condos, with the small pockets of tech boom.
I'm not seeing only old people driving Ferrari, Maserati, and other goodies.

Also, plenty of young people working in trades, some making some big bucks, even for GA standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back