Best airliner?

A lot of airlines are in major cost-cutting/defensive/repositioning mode as passenger bookings have fallen off a cliff.

Examples include major schedule reductions, complete cancellation of all flights to particular countries, postponing aircraft deliveries, and stopping all hiring.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
I have read on other forums that those airlines with A380s are planning to park them for the interim. Lufthansa is one. Not sure if it is true but it does make sense considering the current climate. I'd wonder how Emirates is faring?

News. Jet engine fuel efficiency per mile just dropped hugely. And the less passengers that ride the higher the fuel consumption per passenger mile goes up. This is where the old propliners would shine.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Not an airliner, but still a great plane...

Avro Vulcan bomber...

https://youtu.be/sh-9uZjg1Tg

The Avro Vulcan was made by the A.V. Roe company, based at Woodford Aerodrome. Unfortunately the hangars and runways have been substituted for a new-build housing estate which has cost our local history and made the traffic on that side of the village near-unbearable.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
News. Jet engine fuel efficiency per mile just dropped hugely. And the less passengers that ride the higher the fuel consumption per passenger mile goes up. This is where the old propliners would shine.

I see...

And what, exactly, caused this precipitous change in jet engine fuel efficiency?

Originally Posted by Olas
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Not an airliner, but still a great plane...

Avro Vulcan bomber...

https://youtu.be/sh-9uZjg1Tg

The Avro Vulcan was made by the A.V. Roe company, based at Woodford Aerodrome. Unfortunately the hangars and runways have been substituted for a new-build housing estate which has cost our local history and made the traffic on that side of the village near-unbearable.

The Vulcan was an incredible airplane. Arguably the very best of the "V bombers". The use of a delta planform was bold, and the only way to meet the range and altitude targets. At the time, it could fly higher, and outmaneuver, fighter aircraft at its cruise altitude.

Little was known about deltas, so A.V. Roe built a test bed and flew it to begin gathering data on performance.

The Avro Type 707 can be seen at the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry.

Avro Vulcan XH558 was flying until recently. Although retired from RAF service, a group of enthusiasts kept it flying for many years. Metal fatigue has grounded her permanently, sadly. The sound of those Rolls-Royce engines and Vulcan intakes is unique - and wonderful.

Originally Posted by Astro14
A lot of airlines are in major cost-cutting/defensive/repositioning mode as passenger bookings have fallen off a cliff.

Examples include major schedule reductions, complete cancellation of all flights to particular countries, postponing aircraft deliveries, and stopping all hiring.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

How are things for you?
Any reductions in hours down to minimum? Any chance of being pushed down to a lower rate type or seat?
For now, it appears that US carriers are keeping their options open and not putting lots of iron in storage nor furloughing pilots and FAs.
If and when the demand for travel comes roaring back, these carriers will be well equipped to meet that demand.
If it takes more than six months or so for things to return to normal, then I'd expect real carnage to include the Chapter 11 filings every established US carrier excluding Southwest has already gone through at least once.
I'd hate to see a successful and vital industry laid low by some virus, but the potential is certainly there.
I love the ability to fly one stop to almost anywhere and would hate to see that end.

Well, whatever I thought a few minutes ago has been overcome by events with the imposition of a 30 day travel ban to Europe. I fly mostly Europe.

So, how it plays out remains to be seen, but this is a tremendous, negative impact on my airline and me.

Thanks for asking, just don't know enough yet.

Last edited:
Well, whatever I thought a few minutes ago has been overcome by events with the imposition of a 30 day travel ban to Europe. I fly mostly Europe.

So, how it plays out remains to be seen, but this is a tremendous, negative impact on my airline and me.

Good luck....

[quote/]Mine is the Constellation, Next would be DC-7. [/quote]
Until kindergarden We lived on 320 Hillcrest Blvd in Millbrae Calif. And I remember when the piston airliners landed over our house the tv screen would get staticy from the RFnoise.link to house Then we moved to 1044 Crestview Dr millbrae which had the most amazing view of the airport. I remember the JAL [I think] Jet that landed in the bay back around 1968 or so link to house I did lots of plane watching until I moved out but plane watched when ever I visited.

News... old propliners were scraped at the desert boneyard back in the 60s...
[Linked Image]

I am still wrapping my mind around this. I hope things are going to end up being better, but I am not optimist in this case.

I see...

And what, exactly, caused this precipitous change in jet engine fuel efficiency?

Covid19 of course. I wonder if it now takes 1000 gallons of jet fuel to fly one passenger 1500 miles? Great fuel economy per passenger mile. He he he.
crackmeup2.gif

I see...

Covid19 of course. I wonder if it now takes 1000 gallons of jet fuel to fly one passenger 1500 miles? Great fuel economy per passenger mile. He he he.
crackmeup2.gif

Right...

And the prop plane, flying one passenger, would be unaffected...

Originally Posted by edyvw

I am still wrapping my mind around this. I hope things are going to end up being better, but I am not optimist in this case.

I'm not an optimist, either.

But the airlines are in much better financial shape than post 9-11, which saw a similar, precipitous drop.

There will be some carriers that don't survive this storm.

The ones that do, like United, Southwest, and Delta, will be hurt.

The speed/shape of the recovery will determine the total impact. Right now, the drop is incredible.

I was just reading a local news story in Seattle about how quiet and empty the airport is. A lot of workers in the industry are affected.

A friend's son flies for United. He knows his hours will be cut. A lot of uncertainty for many.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I'm not an optimist, either.

But the airlines are in much better financial shape than post 9-11, which saw a similar, precipitous drop.

There will be some carriers that don't survive this storm.

The ones that do, like United, Southwest, and Delta, will be hurt.

The speed/shape of the recovery will determine the total impact. Right now, the drop is incredible.

The major airlines are in much better financial shape than they were in September 2001 so should be better able to weather the storm.
Those who've taken delivery of fewer new aircraft must be relieved at their good fortune.
This is not a financially induced economic event so there is little likelihood of countercyclical monetary or fiscal actions bringing any relief.
The expansion and extension of travel bans probably will do little to contain the epidemic since the damage is already done.
Hard to believe that just a few months ago we were flying on full airliners without any worry or concern.

the very first passenger plane to fly under jet power was the avero Lancastrian. 2nd was the Vickers Viking nene. the comet was actually 3rd but first to make it to production.

Concorde. The fastest and most beautiful passenger airliner to ever grace the skies - they used to shake windows in houses as they approached the airport 4 miles away from here.

There is a new startup company, Boom Supersonic, who are developing their own supersonic airliner to be able to offer something that other airlines can't - quick travel! If they succeed and become operational then they may well operate what becomes my new favourite airliner.

Back