Stuck oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can even get a pair of channel locks in the space, open the channel locks enough to get it around the filter and try, try, try.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Originally Posted by meep
If you can get a cold chisel against the base you could coax it to rotate with a hammer. Pound a notch into it and then hit it to rotate.

Or the hail mary final move is to stab a screwdriver through it, but, you recognize the finality of that one (it's never not worked for me). But if you're nervous, Astro14 gives you a safe play.

Done the screwdriver trick and that works well.

+1 , had this happen to me when i was 16 - on our old Mitsubishi Mirage with the 1.5 SOHC - Screwdriver and a hammer worked on the base plate.

Rubber strap pipe wrench FTW!!

I've never found a filter that couldn't be removed with one of these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-strap-wrench-set-2-pc-69373.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+All+Products|All+Products|69373&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*PLA+-+All+Products&utm_content=All+Products&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyZ3vgcWQ6AIVx0XVCh3BIwCpEAQYASABEgJgUfD_BwE

If you can get a cold chisel against the base you could coax it to rotate with a hammer. Pound a notch into it and then hit it to rotate.

Or the hail mary final move is to stab a screwdriver through it, but, you recognize the finality of that one (it's never not worked for me). But if you're nervous, Astro14 gives you a safe play.

I had to chisel the remains of one that I had already ripped through attempting the screwdriver method.

Here's the outcome...I went to Northern Tools...they had a decent assortment of tools to remove an oil filter....I ended up buying the biggest Channel Locks they had for $30.....I figured if I damaged the filter further I could cut it with the snips and use a cold chisel to split the stuck base plate....it wasn't necessary as the CL's did the job....the good thing is that I have a lot of filter tools back home but I didn't have a giant CL....now I do. The guy at NT had an automotive background and told me the fluted end of the filter is the strongest....I had wrongly assumed it was stronger near the base....I learned something today....actually I learned several things......Thanks for all the great replies guys...

Good job. As my Dad would say, excellent stick-to-itiveness. Now lube OF sealing gasket and hand tight but no more than 2/3-3/4 turn after gasket contact.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tiger862
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-import-car-oil-filter-wrench-63600/25981259-P

Can't stress enough how handy this tool is for oil change. Stuck filter no problem. It is my go to filter. Home Depot seems to have it cheaper but I would have to order it over here.

also had success with that one. The 3 finger tool I got from Napa was useless, the Lisle tool worked great.

This was on a car where I didn't really have access to put a screwdriver through it and twist. All that said, I can also agree with those saying "bit the bullet and take it to the dealer"..

Will the longer 4386 fit? Use the 4386 next time, and if that still doesn't do the trick, use the K&N filters with the nut on the end

If you can get a cold chisel against the base you could coax it to rotate with a hammer. Pound a notch into it and then hit it to rotate. ...
I knew a guy who tried that tactic. Unfortunately, the chisel slipped off the filter and punched a hole in the aluminum block---right into the oil line near the filter. Oops! End of car ...

Originally Posted by Rat407
I use one of these and it never fails. It will crush the filter but it will turn it off.

[Linked Image]

This is the best I have ever used in tight areas and tight filters.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?acctid=21700000001662562&adgroupid=58478685587&campaignid=1410664753&cc=us&channel=online&creative=271594355741&device=c&dskeywordid=92700046696692100&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeLLa9EofcD-KhQKNbeRCpm9GUdBixc40DjjdsQDhinug3PuUjyker4aAiV_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&key=Motion-Pro-Oil-Filter-Strap-Wrench&locationid={loc_phyiscal_ms}&matchtype=&merchid=348908&mrkgadid=3291760337&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=sportbikeparts&mrkgcl=500&mrkgen=gpla&network=g&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&product_id=MOP0034-X001-Y001&pssource=true&segment=badger-street&storeid={product_store_id}&targetid=pla-449732813946&variant=MOP0034-X001-Y001&{ifpla:dsproductgroupid=449732813946&variant[MOP0034]=MOP0034-X001-Y001

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by PimTac
Take it to the shop before you have to tow it there.

Ding ding ding!
We have a winner.

With the damage done to the filters internals I wouldn`t even start the engine. If a tool of some type won`t work then some plan B is in order. IMHO Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back