Reason for the notch, indentation, on the sides of oscillating saw blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for the notch, indentation, on the sides of a oscillating saw blade is .......

IMG_20200220_110728.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Maybe to reduce friction by reducing the contact area in the kerf.
I could see that actually, less surface area to grab during binding. It's pretty easy to bind an oscillator because you only really make plunge cuts with them. Like cutting baseboard which is what I use them for the most.
Originally Posted by pkunk
To be able to get into tighter less accessible areas?
I'm trying to think if it increases the angle of attack, or allows you to stick the blade in behind a pipe, for example.

Maybe it has to do with harmonics? Or less mass on the blade makes it oscillate slightly faster? I've seen blades that are the same width but consistently tapered.

tight quarters work and overall mass would have been my guesses??

Just starting using this tool on my last two projects - love this tool.

I was loaned a Fein by a buddy and originally I scoffed at the thing, but one full house of baseboard work and Im hooked.

Got a makita myself.

UD

I'd say to reduced mass would be the best answer. Yeah, wish I had one when I did my floors, just try to cut 1/4" off the bottom of a door jamb with a hand saw and you'll learn very quickly.

My neighbor have me this oscillating saw, HF Chicago Electric, single speed, last Friday and I've already used it 5-6 times, all in places no other tool would have worked. It's terrific and fast with a sharp blade, mine was free, cost at HF is $16, well worth it, then I bought a box of 22 blades from Amazon for $24.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back