2018 + Honda Goldwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to try out a 2019 or 2020 Goldwing, but almost pointless with my wife who always rides 2-up with me, says she will never sit on anything but a Harley now, she is very comfortable on the Road King after having a Suzuki and Yamaha.
She's a great girl and always wants me to have everything and anything I want, so surprises me as she is so adamant .. but maybe, if I got her to sit on one. *L* at the same time, I give her credit, she is the passenger and I do want her to have what she wants as well, and as I always say in here, I am good with ANY brand bike. I just like to switch things up now and then :eek:)
A.D.D. ???? *L*

I still want to know how long a rear tire lasts on a Goldwing. Ill never go back to a bike that requires 7000 mile tire changes, when my road king is 14,000.

Last edited:
Did some checking for tire mileage on the new 'Wing, they are getting similar mileage to what your Harley is getting.

Originally Posted by Bonz
Did some checking for tire mileage on the new 'Wing, they are getting similar mileage to what your Harley is getting.

Which is? Never mind, reading the forums I see the comments, sounds about the same but need to read more as I am curious to know the mileage is on the wing OEM.
Anyway, yeah, your right, sounds about the same, which is nice. From what I understand a BMW 12 or 1600 you can expect at most 7 on the rear. A BIG no thank you to that!

With that said, it still sounds like there will be less on the Wing and need to read more, for fun as I see comments like this, seems like if its not the rear, then it the front complaint on the Wing and also others saying 9k
From a Wing owner =Just replaced this set of E-4's. Mileage was 17,424 on the rear and 11,372 on the front."

I get 20k on the front of the RK .

ummm, ok I read more ... ignore what I wrote above, I would never settle for this, seems like EVERY metric bike has this issue and I dont understand why, look at this post on tire life in a Goldwing thread =

"Discussion Starter • #1 • Oct 25, 2018
At about 8000 miles, had to replace the Dunlop rear tire on my 2018 Gold Wing Tour. The front still has maybe a couple of thousand miles more before replacement is needed. How many miles are others getting on their stock tires? I was hoping for more, but I guess a heavy bike with so much low end torque is going wear out tires faster."

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/2018-oem-dunlop-d423-tires.438783/

_________

I mean people have to consider these things, it greatly increases the cost of the bike when you are talking half the tire life of a Harley Touring bike, its freaking expensive getting motorcycle tires mounted and installed, never mind the cost of the tire. Again, bikes are expensive and when I talk about expense tire life matters to me, doesnt mean it matters to others. Besides the cost I HATE taking the time out to get tires replaced more so at 8000 miles, crap, that's almost the recommended oil change interval!!!

Last edited:
This was a timely post for me. I've been noticing on E-bay and on Craigslist alot of new 2018 wings for sale. I'm talking 2 year old brand new bikes? Whats the deal?. Is what everyone has posted about less storage, and gas capacity the turned the reason nobody wants them? Or did they overbuild them?. Or are people stand offish about buying the first year vehicle model when it comes out? I also wouldn't want to set off on a cross country trip, and have to search out a place to get new tires put on in the middle of it. If I had to choose, I might go for a '19 or '20 model if the price was close enough.,,,

Originally Posted by alarmguy
I would love to try out a 2019 or 2020 Goldwing, but almost pointless with my wife who always rides 2-up with me, says she will never sit on anything but a Harley now, she is very comfortable on the Road King after having a Suzuki and Yamaha.
She's a great girl and always wants me to have everything and anything I want, so surprises me as she is so adamant .. but maybe, if I got her to sit on one. *L* at the same time, I give her credit, she is the passenger and I do want her to have what she wants as well, and as I always say in here, I am good with ANY brand bike. I just like to switch things up now and then :eek:)
A.D.D. ???? *L*

I still want to know how long a rear tire lasts on a Goldwing. Ill never go back to a bike that requires 7000 mile tire changes, when my road king is 14,000.

How long a tire lasts has less to do with the bike, and more to do with the compound of the tire...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by 02SE
It's just an opinion. Neither you nor anyone else needs to agree with it.

Compared to OUR current streetbikes, as in the streetbikes my wife and I own.

I did say it was a nice bike for it's intended purpose...

Your current street bikes are not full dressed touring machines and are hardly comparable to Goldwings...the current GW will literally smoke anything in its class...automatic or manual...

They're not?, who could've guessed...

I get it, there are overly sensitive people out there. It was a simple comment, which in retrospect I should've known would likely offend someone.

I consider touring bikes to be overweight and underpowered. The FLHTCUI I had for a little while was especially underpowered. If it makes you feel better, I would agree that the new Goldwing is less so than the aforementioned FLHTCUI.

It's just my opinion. Nobody has to agree with it.

Buy and ride what you like, it won't bother me.

Do you mind sharing what streetbikes you ride and what tires you are running? Attaboy for using the right wrist and wringing out the power to burn through tires in 1,000 miles.

Lol, love to follow you up a Mountain road here in Colorado, I'd probably learn a thing or two about riding hard.

Gold Wings haul arse for what they are ... a Cadillac with two wheels.

A.D.D. ???? *L*

How long a tire lasts has less to do with the bike, and more to do with the compound of the tire...

Exactly

Do you mind sharing what streetbikes you ride and what tires you are running? Attaboy for using the right wrist and wringing out the power to burn through tires in 1,000 miles.

Lol, love to follow you up a Mountain road here in Colorado, I'd probably learn a thing or two about riding hard.

I've posted about our bikes (street and dirt) many times on here. I don't ride like I'm on the track, while on public roads. Occasionally we'll pick up the pace on some deserted mountain road, but definitely not with other motorists around.

If you want to improve your skills, I'd recommend some advanced riding classes. Preferably at a roadracing track. Taking up roadracing is also a good way to improve bike riding skills.

Something tells me that if I post our bikes in this thread, some overly sensitive touring bike rider will have something to say. It's just not worth the hassle.

It's just an opinion. Neither you nor anyone else needs to agree with it.

Compared to OUR current streetbikes, as in the streetbikes my wife and I own.

I did say it was a nice bike for it's intended purpose...

Your current street bikes are not full dressed touring machines and are hardly comparable to Goldwings...the current GW will literally smoke anything in its class...automatic or manual...

They're not?, who could've guessed...

I get it, there are overly sensitive people out there. It was a simple comment, which in retrospect I should've known would likely offend someone.

I consider touring bikes to be overweight and underpowered. The FLHTCUI I had for a little while was especially underpowered. If it makes you feel better, I would agree that the new Goldwing is less so than the aforementioned FLHTCUI.

It's just my opinion. Nobody has to agree with it.

Buy and ride what you like, it won't bother me.

Nothing sensitive here, just pointing out your comparison is like comparing a Porsche 911 turbo to a Cadillac SVS...which is an irrelevant comparison...

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
A.D.D. ???? *L*

Exactly

Of course compound of the tire and construction contributes greatly maybe almost totally to how long it will last.
So what is it the metric motorcycle makers cheap out on causing them to wear out the tires at 7,000 miles???

Is it the tires themselves? or is it the size of the tires they select to ship with their bikes vs the weight of the bike that cause them to wear out so quickly?
Why is it, Harley ships its touring bikes with rear tires that run for over 14,000 miles before wearing out, front tires around 20,000 miles.

Why is it that Honda, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha ship their touring bikes with tires that wear out in 7,000 miles?

This has been for the last 10 to 20 years or more. Dont get me wrong, its possible over the last couple years some things may have changed? If so, I still have not heard of it because as the link I posted shows for the Goldwing forums, the OEM tires are still getting blown through/worn out, at 7000 miles.
I think that **cks. :eek:)

I do know, last review I read, same with the BMW 1600 and possibly the 1200 too.
This is not a debate and I wont debate on it, just a fact, I have "been there" done that and go to any metric maker touring forum and you will find a discussion on the OEM tires wearing out so quickly. IN the last 8 years some after market tires have been hitting the market with better results but sometimes with not so good bad effects.
This isnt me saying it and anyone who rides a touring bikes knows what I am talking about. ..

As I have posted, I like the idea of the new Goldwing, lighter, more nimble for lack of better words etc. I haven't looked at one in person yet, I will someday, I am wondering if they improved the plastics and paint on the new ones. But I am surprised to still be reading in 2020 forum threads on OEM tires for the Goldwing that last 7,000 miles. That is unacceptable to me as well as the other metric touring.

Once again, not my words but words of Goldwing owners ... https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/2018-oem-dunlop-d423-tires.438783/
______

Last edited:
I don't know about all bikes, but my new Honda motorcycle shipped with less tread depth (a few 32ths less) than new replacement tires. Most everyone got only 4-5000 miles on the OEM tire. The replacements ran twice as far.

Same on my CR-V. OEM tires were wore out at 20K miles.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
A.D.D. ???? *L*

Exactly

Of course compound of the tire and construction contributes greatly maybe almost totally to how long it will last.
So what is it the metric motorcycle makers cheap out on causing them to wear out the tires at 7,000 miles???

Is it the tires themselves? or is it the size of the tires they select to ship with their bikes vs the weight of the bike that cause them to wear out so quickly?
Why is it, Harley ships its touring bikes with rear tires that run for over 14,000 miles before wearing out, front tires around 20,000 miles.

Why is it that Honda, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha ship their touring bikes with tires that wear out in 7,000 miles?

This has been for the last 10 to 20 years or more. Dont get me wrong, its possible over the last couple years some things may have changed? If so, I still have not heard of it because as the link I posted shows for the Goldwing forums, the OEM tires are still getting blown through/worn out, at 7000 miles.
I think that **cks. :eek:)

I do know, last review I read, same with the BMW 1600 and possibly the 1200 too.
This is not a debate and I wont debate on it, just a fact, I have "been there" done that and go to any metric maker touring forum and you will find a discussion on the OEM tires wearing out so quickly. IN the last 8 years some after market tires have been hitting the market with better results but sometimes with not so good bad effects.
This isnt me saying it and anyone who rides a touring bikes knows what I am talking about. ..

As I have posted, I like the idea of the new Goldwing, lighter, more nimble for lack of better words etc. I haven't looked at one in person yet, I will someday, I am wondering if they improved the plastics and paint on the new ones. But I am surprised to still be reading in 2020 forum threads on OEM tires for the Goldwing that last 7,000 miles. That is unacceptable to me as well as the other metric touring.

Once again, not my words but words of Goldwing owners ... https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/2018-oem-dunlop-d423-tires.438783/
______

It isn't like there's only one tire available for the GW. If you want a tire that wears longer, buy one with a harder compound. I'm sure there are tires available that will last as long as those on your Harley...

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
No value post.

The poster in his discretion chose not to to answer a question, he told me to read his posts elsewhere for the answer, I said I probably won't and wished him happy riding.

Here's the link I read about tire life on the new 'Wing. The value in this is it addresses the 2018 specifically.

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mo...-getting-from-oem-tires-on-2018-goldwing

Same here ... bottom line, metric bikes still blow through tires and having a rear tire installed **cks at these low miles, never mind the cost, which is expensive but also the inconvenience of getting the bike there to have it done and HOPEFULLY done right.

and as you know here is my specific 2018 Honda thread ... https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/2018-oem-dunlop-d423-tires.438783/

There is no denying as far as tire life, nothing much has changed in the metric touring bike world.
Again, I like the idea of having the newer more refined Goldwing but would not even attempt to convince my wife if I had to go back to 8000 mile tire replacements again.
I see they also lowered the 30,000 mile valve check to 24,000 miles, which maybe I could live with, if the tires didnt wear out at 8000 miles possibly much less for me as I do not play around with worn down tire treads, I do quite a bit of riding in the rain or better said, I dont let a day trip get canceled because of the threat of afternoon storms, tornado warnings/funnel looking clouds/high winds etc and I dont let vacation plans get cancelled if I think there is the possibility of a fair amount of good weather.

I have been through rain storms that no one in this forum could possibly even imagine how I kept going without stopping. Pelting, hand stinging pain, passing sometimes up to over a dozen vehicles pulled on the side of the interstate, where we just kept going on our Road King, slow and easy, careful and knowing I had good rubber on the bike (and ABS) :eek:)

Dont get me wrong, I dont love storms like that, I just think sometimes its more dangerous to pull over then keep going slow and easy.
With that said, we do sort of like the quick rain shower at times, in the heat of the summer to soak us down and cool off *L*

Last edited:

I hope you never find the 'Metric' sourced parts on your Harley...

Anyway it has nothing to do with whether a bike is "Metric" or not.

Power and weight will have an effect on tire wear, as will tire compound and construction, and the road surface you happen to be riding on, and the ambient and subsequently ground temperature as well.

A tire doesn't know if it's mounted on a "Metric" bike or not.

I've owned and ridden bikes from most of the manufacturers. Harley chooses to mount tires on it's bikes which have a harder, more durable compound. Rightly assuming that most customers won't be pushing their tires through a high-speed sweeper for example. Those types of tires naturally last longer, with the tradeoff being less outright grip.

I prefer grip above all else. When the pace picks up, I want exceptional grip, even at the expense of tire longevity.

Maybe irrelevant to you.

They are all motorcycles, and I can compare whatever I want.

You don't have to agree with it.

Because they're all motorcycles, they're all comparable? That's brilliant logic...

As I said, I can compare whatever I want. Like it or not, they ARE all motorcycles...

Since you apparently missed it, I did say that the Goldwing was nice, for that type of bike.

Why do you care? You've made it very clear in the past you weren't going to ride anymore anyway.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
No value post.

The poster in his discretion chose not to to answer a question, he told me to read his posts elsewhere for the answer, I said I probably won't and wished him happy riding.

Here's the link I read about tire life on the new 'Wing. The value in this is it addresses the 2018 specifically.

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mo...-getting-from-oem-tires-on-2018-goldwing

Same here ... bottom line, metric bikes still blow through tires and having a rear tire installed **cks at these low miles, never mind the cost, which is expensive but also the inconvenience of getting the bike there to have it done and HOPEFULLY done right.

and as you know here is my specific 2018 Honda thread ... https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/2018-oem-dunlop-d423-tires.438783/

There is no denying as far as tire life, nothing much has changed in the metric touring bike world.
Again, I like the idea of having the newer more refined Goldwing but would not even attempt to convince my wife if I had to go back to 8000 mile tire replacements again.
I see they also lowered the 30,000 mile valve check to 24,000 miles, which maybe I could live with, if the tires didnt wear out at 8000 miles possibly much less for me as I do not play around with worn down tire treads, I do quite a bit of riding in the rain or better said, I dont let a day trip get canceled because of the threat of afternoon storms, tornado warnings/funnel looking clouds/high winds etc and I dont let vacation plans get cancelled if I think there is the possibility of a fair amount of good weather.

I have been through rain storms that no one in this forum could possibly even imagine how I kept going without stopping. Pelting, hand stinging pain, passing sometimes up to over a dozen vehicles pulled on the side of the interstate, where we just kept going on our Road King, slow and easy, careful and knowing I had good rubber on the bike (and ABS) :eek:)

Dont get me wrong, I dont love storms like that, I just think sometimes its more dangerous to pull over then keep going slow and easy.
With that said, we do sort of like the quick rain shower at times, in the heat of the summer to soak us down and cool off *L*

I guess you're choosing just to ignore my posts. Like I said, you don't have to run the exact same tire that comes on the bike from the factory. When it comes time to replace the original tire, you can install a harder compound tire that will last longer. You just seem to have a need to nick pick and justify riding only a Harley...

No, not ignoring you, your not reading my post throughly and others too (but not all).
Im done with this thread, as I posted all I need to say, I find the new lighter more nimble six speed Goldwing attractive.
What always bothered me, metric TOURING bikes to this day still ship with tires that only make it 7000 miles, which is ridiculous to me in this day and age.
90% (or more) people reading this thread will understand my post. Others can talk of "stickiness" performance or whatever you want but it is irrelevant to my post. Why are the metrics unable to ship heavy touring bikes with tires that have good tread life?
There maybe something more to it, I doubt they are being cheap or are they? I dont think so.

Sure, after 7000 miles you can pay another $400 for a new rear tire and HOPE the one you pick out will last longer and provide the same performance of the OEM and that INCLUDES wet performance.
Its seems stupid, that at $400 a tire you have to start searching the internet in the HOPE of finding a good tire that performs better and if your wrong? Oops, another $400.

This is my only point and its confirmed OVER and OVER in the GOLDWING forums by owners of Goldwings.
(as well as owners of all heavy metric touring bikes/BMW but for some reason, NOT Harley Davidson Touring)
The reason I stress this is I am sure that I can NOT be the only one who dreads replacing tires, I hate it still and I dont have to replace the rear tire on my RK until around 15K miles.

(ps dont take my "caps" personal)
Have a nice day :eek:)

BTW .. I will one day be by the Honda dealer to check out the new Wing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back