Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JHZR2
In The Andromeda Strain, as I recall, the lab was built on a small nuclear bomb. Wonder if that's necessary/true for some of this stuff...

There probably is... plot twist, nuclear energy makes it multiply even faster!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
I am so underwhelmed by this.

Yup me too. The sky is falling has once again has become in style just like alllllll those other times. It's good we are on this thing and watching it though. You can't stop these bugs but awareness and a reasonable plan of action goes a long ways towards managing them.

This does show how woefully inadequate the US airports are in screening passengers from overseas flights. Airports in Asia have been screening for years now. It is not that hard to do. Cameras set up at corridors scan everyone. Those that read hot are pulled aside and questioned.

SARS, swine flu, corona, there will be more like this.

I heard it started from a food market that sold snake meat? I've heard snake and other reptiles are quite delicious I guess.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I am so underwhelmed by this.

I'm keeping an eye on it. We really have no idea how bad it is. The number of cases and deaths is being under reported for sure.

If not China then India or some of the overpopulated countries in Africa that eat bush meat. Only saving thing is is those folks too poor to travel.

Rod

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
China will be the cradle of the end of civilization. Everybody thinks there will be some huge war or something, but I think that some pandemic will birth there and spiral out of control. There are just too many people.

I agree. Most people seem to think it will be a war, I beg to differ.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I heard it started from a food market that sold snake meat? I've heard snake and other reptiles are quite delicious I guess.

I've seen other sources that they were from their foot market bats. Either way, whatever exotic creatures that aren't properly prepped and cooked (and people wonder why the cops have to shut down street vendors that don't have their health and safety licenses.)

This is actually pretty bad. There is a YouTube video of a Chinese doctor absolutely loosing his marbles and screaming into a phone requesting help from his superiors. You can tell he is completely overwhelmed and its BAD in that hospital. They are locking the city of millions of people down, no one goes in, no one leaves. No buses, no planes, no trains. The Chinese are WAY under reporting deaths and sickness, orders of magnitude under reporting. There are millions in that city and they are saying only like 600 people sick. One death estimate I saw puts this at 40-50%, which is shockingly worse then MERS or SARS. They are fumigating the entire city with some sort of chemicals, looks like heavy fog everywhere. The Chinese are PANICKING, and this is NOT a good sign...

The world health organization is having daily meetings. Daily. That doesn't happen unless people are scared. This actually has the potential to be a very nasty, very deadly pandemic that makes the 1918 Flu look like childs play. That flu infected 1/3 of the worlds population and killed 10% of the people it infected.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Buster..... they are playing with fire there!
I guess it's a very small bit comforting that it's not in this country. I just watched a deal on tv tonight where the experts think the Chinese are lying about the actual number of infected and deaths.
coffee2.gif

It could be said that TV lies about everything as well.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
This is actually pretty bad. There is a YouTube video of a Chinese doctor absolutely loosing his marbles and screaming into a phone requesting help from his superiors. You can tell he is completely overwhelmed and its BAD in that hospital. They are locking the city of millions of people down, no one goes in, no one leaves. No buses, no planes, no trains. The Chinese are WAY under reporting deaths and sickness, orders of magnitude under reporting. There are millions in that city and they are saying only like 600 people sick. One death estimate I saw puts this at 40-50%, which is shockingly worse then MERS or SARS. They are fumigating the entire city with some sort of chemicals, looks like heavy fog everywhere. The Chinese are PANICKING, and this is NOT a good sign...

The world health organization is having daily meetings. Daily. That doesn't happen unless people are scared. This actually has the potential to be a very nasty, very deadly pandemic that makes the 1918 Flu look like childs play. That flu infected 1/3 of the worlds population and killed 10% of the people it infected.

You watch too much TV

Originally Posted by Pew

I've seen other sources that they were from their foot market bats. Either way, whatever exotic creatures that aren't properly prepped and cooked (and people wonder why the cops have to shut down street vendors that don't have their health and safety licenses.)

You're right. Bats were also mentioned. Perhaps the store sold both? Bat soup. Yum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

You're right. Bats were also mentioned. Perhaps the store sold both? Bat soup. Yum.

I wouldn't doubt it. Meat comes at a premium over there and anything they can get their hands on is food because the poverty is so bad.

The Chinese are building a 1,000 bed hospital in Wuhan specifically earmarked for Coronavirus patients. They plan to have it completed in SIX DAYS. I'd say that they are taking it pretty seriously.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
The Chinese are building a 1,000 bed hospital in Wuhan specifically earmarked for Coronavirus patients. They plan to have it completed in SIX DAYS. I'd say that they are taking it pretty seriously.

I just read about this. The govt can't afford to appear that it is not in control of the situation.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by bubbatime

You watch too much TV

My Grandfather and several of his friends went to boot camp in WW1 while the flu was crossing the US. None of his training unit went to war, because the flu struck while they were in camp. The quarantine kept them in place through the end of the war, and during this time most came down with it, and many died. These were healthy young men in top physical condition. My Granddad was hospitalized for over a month, due to complications. For nearly everyone alive today, that is ancient history. Those of us who heard first hand stories know how fearful people felt during that time. Modern medicine does wonders, but in cases of new pandemics will be way behind the power curve until the disease is well established.

Originally Posted by hatt

China never gives the correct story so things originating there will already be out of control and spread over the globe before the information gets out.

Opposed to the media in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back