Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I heard it started from a food market that sold snake meat? I've heard snake and other reptiles are quite delicious I guess.

I ate snake in China a few years ago. It was ok. Nothing special. It was a huge snake. Like 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

Look at the bright side. If this becomes a global pandemic and kills over 80% of the world population, then China will have single handedly solved the climate change problem.

As to the Governmant of China compared to the US, I think you would have to say the US occasionally lies. China occasionally tells the truth.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Look at the bright side. If this becomes a global pandemic and kills over 80% of the world population, then China will have single handedly solved the climate change problem.

As to the Governmant of China compared to the US, I think you would have to say the US occasionally lies. China occasionally tells the truth.

Well the deadliest flu on record was the Spanish flu which killed anywhere from 50-100 million people and infected over 500 million. But the deaths were just 3%-5% of world population.

Still the stock market is tanking today and this could probably lower GDP overall so with regards to climate change, it might slow it down.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
China will be the cradle of the end of civilization. Everybody thinks there will be some huge war or something, but I think that some pandemic will birth there and spiral out of control. There are just too many people.

China never gives the correct story so things originating there will already be out of control and spread over the globe before the information gets out.
You know they will intentionally spread it if they can't control it. Either that or try to settle some old scores before their military stops functioning.

No one would be stupid enough to do that, they will also infect themselves. This is like saying someone would nuke a rival because they have the fewer nuke than his rival.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This does show how woefully inadequate the US airports are in screening passengers from overseas flights. Airports in Asia have been screening for years now. It is not that hard to do. Cameras set up at corridors scan everyone. Those that read hot are pulled aside and questioned.

SARS, swine flu, corona, there will be more like this.

We have been screening, just potential terrorists and people of certain nations, not diseases.

This does show how woefully inadequate the US airports are in screening passengers from overseas flights. Airports in Asia have been screening for years now. It is not that hard to do. Cameras set up at corridors scan everyone. Those that read hot are pulled aside and questioned.

Oh really? Tell me, how are they supposed to flag people who are infected but asymptomatic (ie. no fever)?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
This is actually pretty bad. There is a YouTube video of a Chinese doctor absolutely loosing his marbles and screaming into a phone requesting help from his superiors. You can tell he is completely overwhelmed and its BAD in that hospital. They are locking the city of millions of people down, no one goes in, no one leaves. No buses, no planes, no trains. The Chinese are WAY under reporting deaths and sickness, orders of magnitude under reporting. There are millions in that city and they are saying only like 600 people sick. One death estimate I saw puts this at 40-50%, which is shockingly worse then MERS or SARS. They are fumigating the entire city with some sort of chemicals, looks like heavy fog everywhere. The Chinese are PANICKING, and this is NOT a good sign...

The world health organization is having daily meetings. Daily. That doesn't happen unless people are scared. This actually has the potential to be a very nasty, very deadly pandemic that makes the 1918 Flu look like childs play. That flu infected 1/3 of the worlds population and killed 10% of the people it infected.

You can't blame them to be pancaking, the memory of SARS is still fresh from 2003. I remember reading a news that one guy from Mexico had SARS symptom on a plane from Mexico City and Hong Kong reportedly not let anyone land, and have the whole plane sent back to Mexico after refueling.

One visitor in a cheap Hostel had SARS and HK also locked down the whole building, fumigate it, and quarantine everyone there for a week in a "retreat camp".

One news I heard is this time it might be like before: from a wild game market. This isn't always about the people who cook and eat it but more often than not the market selling live animal has lots of feces and human traffic, and spread into visitors and workers then from human to human. In HK when they found bird flu they will shut down and destroy millions of birds, but in China they are probably too precious and people will try to salvage the scrap, hence hard to make the message clear unless they lock down the whole city.

If there's one country in the world where they have the best control of zombie Apocalypse scenario, it would be China after this incident.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
No one would be stupid enough to do that, they will also infect themselves. This is like saying someone would nuke a rival because they have the fewer nuke than his rival.

People are crazy and fanatical; like that story on the Japanese soldiers in the Philippines and Guam that kept fighting decades after WW2 ended. And you got people that will blow themselves up in the middle of a mall or market full of innocent people.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by DBMaster
The Chinese are building a 1,000 bed hospital in Wuhan specifically earmarked for Coronavirus patients. They plan to have it completed in SIX DAYS. I'd say that they are taking it pretty seriously.

I just read about this. The govt can't afford to appear that it is not in control of the situation.

If you mobilize any military unit of a nation (or FEMA / national guard in our case) you can do this, I think we did that for Hurricane and wild fire evacuees on a regular basis as well.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by PandaBear

People are crazy and fanatical; like that story on the Japanese soldiers in the Philippines and Guam that kept fighting decades after WW2 ended.

Knowing some Japanese culture from my friends, he is not stupid, just playing it safe. It is a deadly sin to be alive when you lose a battle and your whole unit is dead. If he was found he would have been executed. He was told by some Japanese officials that the war is over many decades ago, but he refuse to surrender unless they send HIS commander over to officially discharge him, that way he can be sure that it is for real.

Samurai seppuku was done with an executioner on the side, if the samurai refused to seppuku he would be executed, along with his family.

How did the new strain start?
The outbreak began in Wuhan, a city of 11 million people. Many of the patients have reportedly been linked to Hua Nan Seafood Wholesale Market, a large seafood and animal market in the city, according to CBS News' Ramy Inocencio. But a rising number of people have apparently contracted the virus without exposure to the market, according to Chinese officials.

The market was closed on January 1, 2020 for "environmental sanitation and disinfection," according to the World Health Organization.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-what-is-china-wuhan-death-toll/

This thing needs a name. Coronavirus could be anything including a common cold. 2019-nCoV is too obtuse. MERS for the Middle East. I assume the Chinese are working hard to keep this from having a geographic name.

Originally Posted by csandste
This thing needs a name. Coronavirus could be anything ...

I thought "coronavirus" was something one caught in college and was closely related to the Irish Flu.

This thing needs a name. Coronavirus could be anything including a common cold. 2019-nCoV is too obtuse. MERS for the Middle East. I assume the Chinese are working hard to keep this from having a geographic name.

how about the wuflu waffle

This thing needs a name.

How about Hong Kong Fluie

[Linked Image from writeups.org]

Kung Flu

Yeah.... I am absolutely stunned by this reality. Take your shoes off and go through body scanners...but if you have a temperature of 104, come on in! I just got back from Taiwan, and it felt like I was on the TB express. The guy sitting directly behind me seemed like Patient Zero from the most recent outbreak, and hacked on me with a wet cough the entire flight. So, it was great to hear that temperature sensors were being added at La Guardia... (lot of direct flights from Asia to La Guardia!). You can't get into most Asian countries without going through a temp scan. There is zero reason for this not to be the case in the US.
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I heard it started from a food market that sold snake meat? I've heard snake and other reptiles are quite delicious I guess.

Hands down, the worst thing I've ever had in my life is Snake Soup. Even field eel wasn't as bad. Even worse, they gave me the snake to take home. I'd recommend passing on reptiles...

I generally think that reactions to stuff like this are greatly overblown. I'm not so sure in this case, though. While I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I'd be surprised if this isn't a much bigger deal than the Ebola outbreak. I do find it pretty interesting that a lot of folks seem to have a much more visceral reaction to Ebola. Maybe the name sounds more intimidating, or Africa is a scarier place to people. Given the sheer mass of people in China, the opportunity for this to spread everywhere is exponentially higher, and given the way the Chinese disseminate information, no one has any idea of how deadly it really is or can be.

I believe San Francisco and maybe Atlanta also have brought thermal scanners online for arriving international gates. In addition to La Guardia.

I agree the Chinese Communist Party i.e. government, is likely issued orders to everyone to keep a lid news getting out on just how bad it's getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back