Rating lower tiered synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Feeling good now regarding my $17 investment in QSUD 5W20 for a severe schedule OCI winter fill experiment ... With a 4K mile / 150 hour OCI I should be good at reducing fuel dilution concerns (GDI engine) , excessive soot , dirty oil vapors , etc. Lastly , if I'm not red lining my daily driver GDI Sonata I should be good to go with the oil and OCI (Blackstone will provide the final verdict ) . As a worse case GDI engine oil (no matter the outcome from Blackstone) , 5W30 synthetic D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oil will be my new standard weight as I notice no difference in performance or gas mileage as compared to the current 5W20 fill I am trying for the first time since the factory fill. Safe to say , QSUD in either 5W20 or 5W30 weight is a better oil than expected with a quite decent add pack : Quaker State API SN+
http://pqiadata.org/QuakerState_5W20.html

Chris
The Koreans claim Quaker State is their #1 choice at engine factories. But is it because they don't want to monetarily invest more heavily into Pennzoil Platinum.....lol

They invested very cheaply into a Remote Start for my wife's Kia. It requires all kinds of button-pushing - wait a few seconds for more button pushing, to start the engine - then more multiple button pushing - wait a few seconds for more button pushing, to unlock the doors.
I had it uninstalled yesterday and the Kia odometer only says 1K. They saved money at the factory, but for a few dollars more, they could have installed a Remote Start that only requires a one button push to start and a one button push to unlock the door.

I had the new aftermarket Remote Start installed yesterday. I had to pay extra for it, because of the uninstall first.
Two remotes - an extended two year warranty - uninstall and new install = $290.

Way to go South Korea. I have all the old parts. But would rather throw them in a recycle center, than give them away to someone that will encounter more problems with it.

The installer said he's already uninstalled several Kia Remote Starts for 2020 models. What a shame, since the dealer says all those horn blows created by the faulty Remote Start are within their spec and wanted to charge me $130 to uninstall it.

It's fixed now. But the price for our new Kia just rose by $290, when folks ask how much we paid for the new Kia Soul X-Line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Feeling good now regarding my $17 investment in QSUD 5W20 for a severe schedule OCI winter fill experiment ... With a 4K mile / 150 hour OCI I should be good at reducing fuel dilution concerns (GDI engine) , excessive soot , dirty oil vapors , etc. Lastly , if I'm not red lining my daily driver GDI Sonata I should be good to go with the oil and OCI (Blackstone will provide the final verdict ) . As a worse case GDI engine oil (no matter the outcome from Blackstone) , 5W30 synthetic D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oil will be my new standard weight as I notice no difference in performance or gas mileage as compared to the current 5W20 fill I am trying for the first time since the factory fill. Safe to say , QSUD in either 5W20 or 5W30 weight is a better oil than expected with a quite decent add pack : Quaker State API SN+
http://pqiadata.org/QuakerState_5W20.html

Chris
The Koreans claim Quaker State is their #1 choice at engine factories. But is it because they don't want to monetarily invest more heavily into Pennzoil Platinum.....lol

They invested very cheaply into a Remote Start for my wife's Kia. It requires all kinds of button-pushing - wait a few seconds for more button pushing, to start the engine - then more multiple button pushing - wait a few seconds for more button pushing, to unlock the doors.
I had it uninstalled yesterday and the Kia odometer only says 1K. They saved money at the factory, but for a few dollars more, they could have installed a Remote Start that only requires a one button push to start and a one button push to unlock the door.

I had the new aftermarket Remote Start installed yesterday. I had to pay extra for it, because of the uninstall first.
Two remotes - an extended two year warranty - uninstall and new install = $290.

Way to go South Korea. I have all the old parts. But would rather throw them in a recycle center, than give them away to someone that will encounter more problems with it.

The installer said he's already uninstalled several Kia Remote Starts for 2020 models. What a shame, since the dealer says all those horn blows created by the faulty Remote Start are within their spec and wanted to charge me $130 to uninstall it.

It's fixed now. But the price for our new Kia just rose by $290, when folks ask how much we paid for the new Kia Soul X-Line.

No such hocus-pocus on our bare bones 2020 Soul LX, and for reasons like this one. it's fine as it is -- no dealer add-ons, please.

Wow...I'm the OP and I hadn't checked the thread in awhile. I'm amazed at all the great replies...particularly dnewton3's (very valuable) data on my exact engine. Thanks to all who replied. PS: I do realize that it would be impossible to actually 'rank' these oils...but hearing others opinions is part of what makes being a BITOGer fun. Also, I was surprised that the PQIA tests showed ST syn. and Amazon Basics syn. to be much different (test wise) as I had thought they'd be nearly identical.

why not use the havoline 6qt bag in a box. the 2.5 duratec takes almost 6 qts and thats is perfect for the 2.5. I use the 5w30 synthetic in my fusion and it seems to be perfect without using a piece of a quart, just dump the whole thing in and call it a day, was on rollback at QM for 17 bucks last year and I stocked up for the fusion.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
why not use the havoline 6qt bag in a box. the 2.5 duratec takes almost 6 qts and thats is perfect for the 2.5. I use the 5w30 synthetic in my fusion and it seems to be perfect without using a piece of a quart, just dump the whole thing in and call it a day, was on rollback at QM for 17 bucks last year and I stocked up for the fusion.

What OCI are you running the Havoline syn.in your Fusion? What filter? Your running 5w30 rather than the spec'd 5w20....any noticeable difference?

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

What OCI are you running the Havoline syn.in your Fusion? What filter? Your running 5w30 rather than the spec'd 5w20....any noticeable difference?

I live in a part of Florida where it dips in the 30's a few times a year so cold weather starts are never a problem, I even run 5w30 in the f150 also w/ the 5.0 which is spec'd for 5w20. I run Motorcraft FL400 in the fusion instead of the 910, its a bit larger filter and cost is the same. The Havoline 5w30 is a bit quieter than the Motorcraft 5w20 I used on its first oil change by me. OCI's are 7500 miles. My driving is a pretty even 50/50 of city and hwy driving in mostly hot weather. The F150 I have been using QSUD 5w30 @ 5k oci.
Two reasons I use the Havoline in the Fusion. 1. Price. 2. I only need one container for the oil change, just dump it in and throw away the box. Routine checks on the dipstick show correct level upon changing @ 7500k so I have never needed top off oil. Hope this helps.

All I can say, is I've used a ton of ST syn and conv oil, in cars, tractors, OPE etc. I've used QSUD, RK and currently have LubriGold in my Tacoma right now, second oil change with it. I got it at RK for $2 a quart on clearance, wish they had more!
MY tractor has ST 15w40 in it right now, and my Altima has RK syn in it.
I've used em all, never had a problem with them, not a single one, and until someone comes up with a good reason to not use them I'll continue.
The ONLY time I can say I noticed much difference in oil is when I used 0w20 in my Tacoma, it rattled A LOT on very cold startups. I switched to using 5W30 and it is as quiet as can be. I feel better about it, but have no way of knowing if it's saving my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back