Tire plug and or replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inside patch wouldn't work. The nail was in the middle of the last tread so the patch couldn't lay flat according to Walmart. I don't have any experience with these types of patches so can't say if that's right or not.

I used to run a service station with my dad, in the days that they were SERVICE stations, and among many other things we patched tires. Both bias and radial tires. I patched many many tires, and not a one with a plug. We dismounted the tire, buffed the inner rubber where the hole was, and applied glue, and then a patch and "stitched" it down. Never had problem. Also in those days nobody heard of "to close to the sidewall". If it wasn't in the sidewall it was patchable. One possible difference was that in those days if you was driving 70 mph, you were flying, and mostly 55 or 60 was normal speeds. Now here in Nebraska the interstate is 75, so people are driving 80 to 85. And they complain that there are so many people getting killed in car wrecks.

Each circumstance is different. If the tire is driven at high speeds on long trip then consider replacement. If around town going to college or work commuter is primary use then I would run it and keep an eye on the tire for a while. A month or so no air loss and all is good. I have plugged many with the stringy wire type and the straight rubber ones with 100% success. None have ever failed and were often run for many years. Primary use was not high speed highway driving either.

I've had many plugged tires but only got my first one ~9 months ago on a car with TPMS. The mechanic warned me that my TPMS will complain as plugs aren't always 100% air-tight. In the old days, you just added air when you checked the pressure (or they looked low) but with TPMS, it tells you long before they "look" low. Anyway, that plug worked okay but I'd still have to add air to that one tire every (2) months, then every month, then every two weeks. I ended up going to a tire shop and had them do a proper, inside patch. Our son picked up a nail 2-3 weeks ago himself and got it plugged (temporarily) until I took it to the same shop and had them patch it as well. We just returned from FL and he and his girlfriend drove that car. It's a 1900 mile round-trip and no issues.

According to the DT illustration I was fine. The nail was in the flat area on the tread and not the shoulder. The Waltmart guy laid his little tool on the tire and it was a fuzz out of the repairable area. I looked at him like....really! There's a Tireman here in town that I'll probably take it to tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Here's two links to the USTMA recommended procedures. The first is actual USTMA procedure chart, second from DT. I would imagine WM follows these guidelines.

https://gov.goodyear.com/docs/police/bulletins/psb2017-11-tire-repair-auto-lt-truck.pdf

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-repair

No worries there. If you know anything about Nissan TPMS, the warning lights are on when you take delivery of the car.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I've had many plugged tires but only got my first one ~9 months ago on a car with TPMS. The mechanic warned me that my TPMS will complain as plugs aren't always 100% air-tight. In the old days, you just added air when you checked the pressure (or they looked low) but with TPMS, it tells you long before they "look" low. Anyway, that plug worked okay but I'd still have to add air to that one tire every (2) months, then every month, then every two weeks. I ended up going to a tire shop and had them do a proper, inside patch. Our son picked up a nail 2-3 weeks ago himself and got it plugged (temporarily) until I took it to the same shop and had them patch it as well. We just returned from FL and he and his girlfriend drove that car. It's a 1900 mile round-trip and no issues.

Goodyear would not patch it either, in fact last time I wanted one patched at Goodyear it was in a location similar to this post and they sent me to an independent shop that wold patch it and it has been fine. They are too concerned with liability and just want to sell new tires.

take it to the local mexican used tire mafia and they will fix it. the repairable area has shrunk and shrunk throughout the years that its such a small area now

Oh there's no doubt I can get it fixed and did myself lol. Sadly, what I did myself years ago, I no longer trust now. Heck I looked at the tires and thought why not replace them? These are tires that twenty yrs ago I would have bought from the local garage and considered them new used tires. Sadly my son could give two craps as did I back then.

Last edited:
I had a puncture on a 3-4 month old Firestone the guy said it was close to the edge and they're not supposed to repair it in any manner but he plugged it anyway and it held up until it wore out. If forgot what the dimension was and I think we all know not to repair a sidewall but I thought anywhere on the tread was OK. If it holds air keep it unless it keeps you awake at night.

[Linked Image from gettread.com]

Here is a perfect example of why tires should not be plugged without inspection. Found this changing tires on a customer car this morning. They had been driving on it since May after buying it used from a local dealer. Didn't have the key for the stupid wheel locks either.

IMG_7459.JPG

Last edited:
What am I looking at traction? I can't really see where the main issue is but there appears to be more than one.

Originally Posted by D1dad
What am I looking at traction? I can't really see where the main issue is but there appears to be more than one.

That is a picture of the inside of a tire. There is a "pinch mark" at the center of the image with a break in the innerliner, a piece of fabric to the right of center, a delamination slightly above and to the right, and below and slightly to the left of center is a split in the innerliner.

Notice also the difference in color with a clear dividing line at the sidewall/tread interface. This tire generated some heat.

This tire will not only not hold air in the long term, but is on its way to failure.

Last edited:
So they plugged the sidewall?

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by D1dad

That is a picture of the inside of a tire. There is a "pinch mark" at the center of the image with a break in the innerliner, a piece of fabric to the right of center, a delamination slightly above and to the right, and below and slightly to the left of center is a split in the innerliner.

Notice also the difference in color with a clear dividing line at the sidewall/tread interface. This tire generated some heat.

This tire will not only not hold air in the long term, but is on its way to failure.

The tire had a plug right in the center of tread, but the sidewall damage was done beforehand from being driven on flat a short distance. Outside of the tire looked fine to whoever plugged it, which is way plugs have a bad reputation, and the tire should be dismounted. Then as long as it's off, you just repair it the proper way. This tire was ready blow up at any moment.

Last edited:
I've never seen a tire come apart inside like this one did with the innerliner detached from the sidewall in sheets exposing the cords all the way around.. I've seen many tires people have plugged that have a couple handfuls of rubber crumbs inside them, with no visible damage on the outside of the tire. Sure plugs can work, but a majority of the people that use them, have no idea what they are doing. If holds air it must be good? There is a whole lot more to fixing a tire than just plugging a hole, which can cause even more damage if done incorrectly. There is only one correct way to plug a tire, which involves removing the tire from the wheel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back