What’s the most expensive car new that you bought used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my 2005 Audi in 2012. MSRP on it was a hair over $51k, and I bought it for $3500. It was obviously in need of some help, and despite being quite unreliable, it's still the best driving car that I've ever had. Wouldn't want to own it a second longer, but it sure was great to drive.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
BMW definitely makes the nicest interiors.

That would be DID make a nice interior. for THAT car.

That's over a decade old.

Likely the best sporting roadster I'll ever drive.

Sayonara Porsche, as far as "fun" quotient goes.

or is that ... Auf Wiedersehen !

Looks like it was the Mustang, at $27-28k new. XTerra is a close second at $27k. Not going to count the Tacoma or the Camry as both were hand-me-downs I didn't pay for. Ironically, the one we paid the most for (Versa) is the cheapest overall, but we bought it "slightly used" with 1,500 miles on it.

Last edited:
My 2000 E55 AMG. MSRP was $73K. I purchased for $5K with 112,000 miles.

[Linked Image]

I got nothing on this thread. Most expensive used would have been my Tundra; I think it was $32k MSRP but I paid $22k when it was 3 years old with 73k on the clock. CPO so it had a 4 year / 27k warranty.

Maybe my '99 Camry? Quick look shows it was $20k back in the day; that inflates to nearly $31k today. I got it 3 years ago with 140k on the clock for $1,500 in a private sale.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Originally Posted by Trav
A BMW M1 and a BMW Z1. Without going into details the M1 was hard to get and pricey.

Please tell us more about the M1....that is my lottery/IPO/inheritance car
grin.gif

Nothing much to tell really, I had just bought my first of a few Citroen SM and CX cars in 1986 (all used) and someone put me on to the M1. It was a one owner and while rare at the time not the most desired car going.
I sold it after some years to a guy that did BMW motor sports cars for a nice profit. I bought the Z1 from a GI who was leaving Germany, he was in an American style coffee shop near the base and so was I, the deal was done over coffee.

I sold my old 65 HD electric Pan Head (the last and only year) to a guy on the street while sitting at a red light. I buy and sell them as the opportunity presents itself and if the price is right both ways.

1995 Corvette base coupe, I have owned 2. List price was $36,785.
First one I paid $7800 (in 2013), second I paid $11800 (in 2014).

My 16 GMC sierra, MSRP $55k, down to 31k at a credit union sale with 70k miles, at the time the book value was still at 39k so it was a good enough deal to justify spending the money.

1997 Saab 9000 CSE - stickered about $38,000 new, I purchased in 2011 for $1500.

1990 Audi V8 Quattro. I paid $800 for it with a bit over 250K miles on it. Original MSRP was around $50K in 1990 dollars, which works oit to about $98K in 2019 dollars. Of course the property tax due at registration was based on the MSRP, and cost about $200.

3.6L DOHC V8, 4 speed auto, and of course that glorious AWD.
It drove like a dream and ate up interstates like nothing. Unfortunately, the original UFO brakes had been converted to regular discs from a similar VW vehicle.

1995 Explorer Sport 4WD 2-door, sticker was just under $33K. I paid $950 to the second owner in 2008 with 147K miles. The price was low due to pretty severe rust, but it ran and drove great for another 10K miles before I decided I needed something without rust since brake lines were starting to seep, and the body was just consumed almost up to the windows in places. My current 1994 Explorer XLT 4WD 4-door actually stickered for about $6K less, but was the outgoing model, doesn't have air bags, and has the basic manual seats. The 2-door also had ControlTrac automatic 4WD, keyless entry, and the "high series" console and power seats. It was really nice for a 2-door SUV, and the MSRP was well into Bronco range. Today it would be about $54K.

$37k for a 2011 Durango Citadel, right before the updated models released and mine tanked in value... never doing that again. Looked good and sounded good though!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
1990 Audi 90 Sport with the 2.3L injected 5-cylinder engine, 5 speed manual and a fully galvanised body, in perfect condition. It drove and looked great. New price would have been about $30k, I paid (from memory) about $6k about 2005.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Just bought my Genesis last Saturday for $20,600. 4-5 years ago it stickered for $52,705, which is already a pretty darn good deal. Found a website that shows the original window sticker

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I really like your car! Looks really high end! Girl on my street has one just like it and I was wondering if it was the V8 model, and yep, it says 5.0 on the back. She'll gun it leaving her house and you can't even hear it running. Seems like a very refined car! I like the fact that it's all Korean made. I wish the Japanese brands would go back to all Japanese made.

Some are. My cx5 turbo is.

The Koreans really have some winners on their hands for as short a time they've been in the game though, noone can deny that!

In my case, I guess the '15 BMW 328i that I picked up in March of '19: $46K new, my cost $22K.

Or maybe the '86 W126 MB 420SEL. It had stickered for about $50K in 1985-86, and I bought it in May of '99 for $14K.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Or maybe the '86 W126 MB 420SEL. It had stickered for about $50K in 1985-86, and I bought it in May of '99 for $14K.

A 13 year old bottom line S-class went for $14,000 over 20 years ago? Seriously? A 2006 S430 these days is $5-6K car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back