Valvoline VW 508.00 spec'd oil...interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Found on Valvoline's euro site. VIOC has this oil too.
It's nice to see that Valvoline included the memo on their website for piece of mind.

https://pisheets.valvoline.com/#/valvoline-synpower-xl-iv-c5-0w-20

Screenshot_20191217-104431_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191217-104610_Chrome.jpg

...and only good for 36 months, then has to be verified again.

manufacturers are "trying" to push their lubes exclusively aka require them, which is NOT legal unless its supplied FREE!! seen where OE oil is color coded to validate its use!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
So it meets approval only if it was made at those two sites specified on the memo?

Thats what I got from it, seems like just those two plants. Ill have to check the next bottle I find to see where its produced for the US.

Originally Posted by benjy
manufacturers are "trying" to push their lubes exclusively aka require them, which is NOT legal unless its supplied FREE!! seen where OE oil is color coded to validate its use!!

Uhh, no. You don't have to buy VW branded oil only available at the dealership.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by benjy

Uhh, no. You don't have to buy VW branded oil only available at the dealership.

Castrol made the original 508 in USA and our 2018 Tiguan included a little pamphlet around it. Seems like other oil makers are getting in there. 10k change interval is fine by me.....

When getting my Passat prepped for delivery, I asked about the oci. The unequivocal response was that 10k was no issue and that there is no reason to go 5k.

NO! You supposed to ask the forum!
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

What does a dealer know about oil? Nothing.

I would do and I did do a 5K on that oil. The MOST I would ever push a small turbo engine with a small sump.
You engine has a larger sump and is larger displacement then my tiny 1.4L

My careless VW dealer put 5W40 WV 502 in mine even after me mentioning 508 spec 0w20 about 5 times at the service desk.

I only have a couple hundred miles on it, but the Motul seems to be working well - now that I am back to the correct viscosity.

I would suspect Castrol EP or Mobil 1 EP would work too.

But ... Warranty.

I hear ya. I'll be adhering to spec as much as possible too.

The sump size really plays a part. Driving around today the oil temp only reached 201° for a few minutes of the 30 minute drive.

It seems to be available in Australia, but I haven't spotted it in the wild yet.

Checkout that Pour Point !

SynPower XL-IV C5 0W-20

SAE Viscosity Grade
0W-20

Viscosity @ 100 °C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Viscosity @ 40 °C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270

Density @ 15°C, kg/L, ASTM D4052

Total Base Number, mg KOH/g, ASTM D2896

CCS Viscosity, mPa.s @ -30°C, ASTM D5293

Flash Point (COC), °C, ASTM D92

Pour Point, °C, ASTM D5950