Retired. Dreams are of work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I dreamed midgets were trying to kill me.
So I bought a Bullet-Proof Car.
Well, since they were, only midgets …… I bought a convertible.

Last edited:
retired 2 years ago, couldn't stand sitting around so much .went back to my old job part time,,,home remodeling...now I sleep great

Thanks for the replies, guess it ain't just me. And yes, I, we, are loving retirement. Did shift work most of my life and the last 14 years was a 4-4 that had me waking at 3 am for day shift. Man, I would be sleeping good when the alarm went off...We have all the toys-Jetskis, motorcycles, model airplanes, Drones, and went to Moab, and Colorado this year. Kids all doing good. And we have been going to a great gym that also has an indoor heated lap pool. So yeah, life is good! Be better if i dreamed about that stuff tho.

I'm working, dreaming of retirement. Does that count?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
My first job was at McDonald's. I worked there for 4.5 years in high school and college. I had nightmares of that place too.

Mine was at Pizza Hut.
Had a few nightmares about working there while I was working there (church/dinner rushes).
Luckily they stopped once I quit (and finished HS).

Originally Posted by csandste
Yup. Retired library director for nine years after being there 35 (entirely too long). Last night dreamed that I was chewing people out for buying CD audio books when CD's have been obsolete for a decade. Found some new ones on the on-line catalog before I went to sleep. Downloadables only-- I got more on the ball then my successors, even as an unconscious geezer.

I was a librarian for 30 years before I retired. Around here they buy both!

Still dreaming about a job a had 20 years ago. (Overnight package delivery). Want some crazy vivid dreams? Try taking two alleve tablets before bed time. Proper name Naproxen Sodium. Strap yourself in.

Been retired since Aug 1st this year. Although I don't dream of work very often, I find if I am talking to an old workmate of mine and work comes up, I still get angry thinking about the place and the B.S. that transpired before I left.

The place certainly wasn't the place I was use to prior to leaving but I remind myself when I get caught up in things, that I no longer have to deal with nor be part of that problem.

I have been loving retirement so far. I look after 4 vehicles, 2 snowmobiles and our campsite/boat so those things occupy most of my free time. Add in everyday chores like cutting the grass, washing/maintaining vehicles/the house, etc, and I find, at times, I am busier than all get out! It's a good busy, however, and knowing I no longer have to go to work and listen to stupidity on a daily basis, occasionally a big smile comes on my face for no apparent reason.

grin2.gif

I've been officially retired for almost 18 years. I still have dreams (or nightmares) about some of my past careers, or current hobbies.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Still dreaming about a job a had 20 years ago. (Overnight package delivery). Want some crazy vivid dreams? Try taking two alleve tablets before bed time. Proper name Naproxen Sodium. Strap yourself in.

For me it's Zyrtec for allergies. Gives me crazy crazy crazy dreams.

Sometimes I read Air Force / Navy / Army Times online and have dreams of doing physical fitness tests, always push-ups for some reason...

Yes, never what I would refer to as a nightmare. Not at all. Just involved, vivid dreams from times past. A brief recollection once you awake and then blissful forgetfulness. Amazing what your brain absorbs in a lifetime and retains.

20 plus years as a Fire Fighter had my sleep all jacked up. During my working years I never dreamed, or at least never remembered them. I've been retired a little over 3 years now and I am starting to recall my dreams but most are never fire department related, thank goodness

Hahahahah, you made me dream of work last night! Specifically, the wind-down to retirement and finally leaving. I apparently forgot to tell my boss....

LOL. So it's not just me - that's good to know.

Just like the college nightmare, I have a recurring one about a project from back in the early 90's. I still dream that it's been a year and suddenly the customer is calling and I haven't touched it at all.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Hahahahah, you made me dream of work last night! Specifically, the wind-down to retirement and finally leaving. I apparently forgot to tell my boss....

Flying a turbo copter over the FL winter birds? AKA showing them how to "drive" over 45 mph...

I was a bricklayer for 20 years but haven't picked up a trowel in 18 years and still dream about being on a job site. Same with military, I have dreams all the time about going back in and Ive been out since 1981, just thankful I didn't see any bad things like others have or they could be nightmares instead of just dreams.

I always wondered how common this was but after reading this I see it's normal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rekit
Been retired a year. Most dreams are of work. Stupid Lab work. Banal repititious stuff.from twenty years ago. Have done all kinds of work, don't no why this stuff sticks in my dreams other then it was a challenge to get the tests done every hour. The least important job I've ever done.....I've spent the last 15 years handling millions of barrels or oil on a daily basis. it's just odd to me.......

I graduated in 2010, and still have nightmares about college. I'm sure I'll have nightmares about work, too, once I retire. Things that cause trauma typically leave scars.

Originally Posted by dbias
20 plus years as a Fire Fighter had my sleep all jacked up. During my working years I never dreamed, or at least never remembered them. I've been retired a little over 3 years now and I am starting to recall my dreams but most are never fire department related, thank goodness

I don't really dream very often. Is this what I have to look forward to in retirement? I hope not.

I don't think I've dreamed about work, but most dreams dance right out of my head (I think that's true for most, for whatever reason remembering dreams is a rare thing, only the most intense it seems gets remembered).

I could see dreaming about work after I have left (in about 25 years that is). I've had some good times there. I lost a set of grandparents almost 15 years ago and just recently they popped up in dream; I could similar things happening for work. Dreams are random, after all. Plus maybe some day I'll be worried about my kid's careers, and maybe that'll trigger a remembrance. Who knows.

Right now I do dream about retiring... usually during the day... and oddly enough, those dreams are most strong Monday morning... Long ago I came up with the dollar figure I'd need to make me retire immediately, like if I won the lotto. Strangely enough, that dollar amount goes down every Monday morning.

Originally Posted by supton
I don't think I've dreamed about work, but most dreams dance right out of my head (I think that's true for most, for whatever reason remembering dreams is a rare thing, only the most intense it seems gets remembered).

I could see dreaming about work after I have left (in about 25 years that is). I've had some good times there. I lost a set of grandparents almost 15 years ago and just recently they popped up in dream; I could similar things happening for work. Dreams are random, after all. Plus maybe some day I'll be worried about my kid's careers, and maybe that'll trigger a remembrance. Who knows.

Right now I do dream about retiring... usually during the day... and oddly enough, those dreams are most strong Monday morning... Long ago I came up with the dollar figure I'd need to make me retire immediately, like if I won the lotto. Strangely enough, that dollar amount goes down every Monday morning.

I could do it for $1m usd, and would super heavily consider it for $750k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back