Retired. Dreams are of work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been retired a year. Most dreams are of work. Stupid Lab work. Banal repititious stuff.from twenty years ago. Have done all kinds of work, don't no why this stuff sticks in my dreams other then it was a challenge to get the tests done every hour. The least important job I've ever done.....I've spent the last 15 years handling millions of barrels or oil on a daily basis. it's just odd to me.......

When I was working I dreamed of retirement. Now that I'm retired I dream about work.
confused.gif

I was a TV tech and I still sometimes fix an old Zenith or RCA in my dreams.
Like someone opened the old filing cabinet of habits & experiences that need "resolving" in the middle of the night.

It'll pass

When I was in college I did a data entry gig on the night shift for a few years. I still have a reoccurring dream, of falling asleep at work, and the manager coming to wake me up. It's the kind of thing that makes me kick my feet in the bed. Hated that job, terrible.

Should we call them nightmares, since you can't forget about them? Just kidding.

They probably come back into your mind since you did those tasks thousands of times.

Yup. Retired library director for nine years after being there 35 (entirely too long). Last night dreamed that I was chewing people out for buying CD audio books when CD's have been obsolete for a decade. Found some new ones on the on-line catalog before I went to sleep. Downloadables only-- I got more on the ball then my successors, even as an unconscious geezer.

Last edited:
I would guess it is pretty normal.

I have been out of the Navy since 2005, but I still work around it.

I have Submarine dreams all the time. Some of them not good. Some of them funny.

I figure at least I am getting into REM sleep and that is good thing.

I've been retired for almost 5 years. I was a General Practitioner (GP from) 1979 - 1989. I've had much better jobs since then. But I regularly dream of being a GP again. I wouldn't do it again on a dare, but I dream about doing it several times a month.

I still have dreams about being in college or back in the Army. Both were over 20 years ago, college being 30 years ago.

The mind is strange when it comes to dreams.

Cure for it all:

a) No sugars in any form after 6pm, ideally no calories of any substance after that.
b) some physical activity in the day

Your disturbing/interrupting dreams will die down, sleep more solid. Science, not a suggestion.

I have had some training (not much) in sleep medicine and it's fascinating. I have also practiced "lucid dreaming" (you pick/drive/alter your dreams) - but only when I have too much sugar at night and certain conditions. Not conducive to getting up fresh the next day, but can be a blast.

exercise, eat right. Oh wait, is that advice not new...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
When I was working I dreamed of retirement. Now that I'm retired I dream about work.
confused.gif

Reminds me of a saying scrawled on the white board in a response vehicle one time. "Those at home dream of adventure, those on an adventure dream of home".

Oddly enough, I never remember my dreams anymore.

confused.gif

It'll pass

Not in my case, been retired 9 yrs and still dream of work most nights
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dervdave
confused.gif

It'll pass

Not in my case, been retired 9 yrs and still dream of work most nights
wink.gif

It took a while but I started welcoming my dreams as gifts instead of PITAs. I look for the unresolved "lessons" in the dreams and see them as a form of night school if you wish.
Just last night I was going around in my dreams and woke myself up laughing out loud .... I've been in AA for 30 yrs and realized in my dream that I've gone from half-crazy to half-sane
56.gif

I've found that I dream about what I'm thinking about as I fall asleep. So I think about...... yup you guessed it!

I even met a woman at a previous job that was an exact live version of someone I had dreamed about. Initially, I could not figure out where I knew her from. Then I remembered and felt like an idiot...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rekit
Been retired a year. Most dreams are of work. Stupid Lab work. Banal repititious stuff.from twenty years ago. Have done all kinds of work, don't no why this stuff sticks in my dreams other then it was a challenge to get the tests done every hour. The least important job I've ever done.....I've spent the last 15 years handling millions of barrels or oil on a daily basis. it's just odd to me.......

I'm far from retired but I know the feeling. I dream of work probably half my nights. I do mostly construction layout for a land surveyor. My dreams are of laying out points over over again. It gets old fast.

My first job was at McDonald's. I worked there for 4.5 years in high school and college. I had nightmares of that place too.

I've been out of the ship yard 33yrs. I still work there come dream time. The other job is fixing a dead sensor that is the root cause of just about everything.
grin2.gif

I have been retired since 2007. Still dream about my work. I guess when you spend 40 years doing something, its normal to dream about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back