9012 bulb lasted 2 yrs... good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Philips 9012s in my Accord in Oct 2017 and today, one of them went out. To be safe, I ordered another pair in case the other one goes out soon.

I didn't know these are LL bulbs. I used them moderately, so I expected more life out of them. Even the old Silverstars I had were still going strong after 2 yrs. Am I being nit-picky or is 2 yrs a good run for the 9012s?

Did you wear gloves when you installed them? Any kind of oils on bulbs will shorten their lifespan.

Did you use lube?
blush.gif

9011/9012's on my corolla lasted less than a year...wore fresh gloves and proper install. I ended up going to LEDs.

Don't overlook loose connections.

The rolled sided female connector goes slack and needs to be crushed a bit with pliers to facilitate a solid contact,

Use a touch of grease.

Bulbs last longer.

B3 is 900h. 3% of bulbs will have failed at 900h at 13.2 volts.

Tc is 1400h. 63% of bulbs will have failed at 1400h at 13.2 volts.

Your Accord's alternator is almost definitely putting out more than 13.2 volts, and most of that is probably making it to your bulbs.

At 14 volts reaching the bulb (not necessarily alternator output), the bulb's B3 would be less than 500 hours.

Last edited:
I changed the bad bulb w/another Philips 9012LL and all is well again. Comparing the new vs old boxes, there are some notable changes:

OLD:
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

NEW:
[Linked Image]

The extra ~200K explains why the new bulb is slightly whiter than the 2 yr old bulb on the driver's side. Perhaps it will color shift over time and become more yellow. But, I'm curious about the drastic change in lifespan. What could have Philips changed?

The 9012 Sylvania XtraVisions I put in place of the 9006 bulbs in my Burb have a lifespan of 150hrs so by comparison your bulbs have an excellent lifespan.

I think 2 years is reasonable for a headlight bulb, not sure why you are so concerned about it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back