Recent Topics
Grease for Blend Door Actuator
by TheLawnRanger - 01/25/20 01:05 PM
waterpump fan clutch and thermostat now overheating
by HyundaiAbuser - 01/25/20 12:43 PM
2020 Ford F250 w/Tremor package and 7.3 L
by tenderloin - 01/25/20 12:34 PM
Genesis GV80 SUV
by tenderloin - 01/25/20 12:33 PM
What kind of mixed drink do you like?
by 53' Stude - 01/25/20 12:11 PM
F150s with the 6.2L
by ford46guy - 01/25/20 12:09 PM
Generator - Gas or Not
by coopns - 01/25/20 11:18 AM
Oil Recommendations For Leaks?
by shurguywutt - 01/25/20 10:59 AM
'12 Odyssey EX-L trans filter
by shortlid - 01/25/20 10:57 AM
06 Explorer v8
by ford46guy - 01/25/20 10:31 AM
Heard this today 🤣
by JLTD - 01/25/20 10:18 AM
Has anyone tinted a dash cluster?
by Vern_in_IL - 01/25/20 08:40 AM
Coolant flush machines
by Donald - 01/25/20 08:24 AM
How do you scratch the new car itch?
by supton - 01/25/20 08:07 AM
2019 f550 6.7
by ame299 - 01/25/20 07:49 AM
unthinkable problem after oil change
by NH73 - 01/25/20 07:37 AM
Anybody burn wood for heat? Advice please.
by dlundblad - 01/25/20 07:21 AM
2002 cummins
by coondog - 01/25/20 07:07 AM
Newest Members
M635_Guy, ame299, Whoop, coondog, steelbeams
70523 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
101 registered members (2010Civic, 97prizm, 2003f7, 53' Stude, 55hambone, 13 invisible), 3,195 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics300,539
Posts5,177,957
Members70,523
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 5
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: walterjay] #5281831 12/01/19 10:05 AM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
D
DrDanger Online Content
Online Content
D
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
I would use a high zinc, moly or boron oil.
Keeping in mind your 24 month OCI spending a fiver more is worth it.
Oils that come to mind - Valvoline Maxlife (has all the goodies, good for long drains), Castrol Magnatec, QSUD, Mobil 1 New-life(may be Euro only).

Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: dave1251] #5281912 12/01/19 11:41 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,442
C
CharlieBauer Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,442
Originally Posted by dave1251
Your truck is 14+ years old things like this happen and it's good Rislone cleared it up. Just use modern motor oil and it will be fine.


I agree.


It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that ain't so.

- mistakenly attributed to Mark Twain
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: walterjay] #5281945 12/01/19 12:09 PM
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 639
F
FastLane Offline
Offline
F
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 639
Go take it out on the highway and drive it hard.


2010 Silverado 4.8 4x4 Mobil 1 5W30 Fram XG10060
2002 Mustang GT 4.6 Mobil 1 5W30 Fram XG2
1966 Cessna 150 Phillips 20W50
2013 Mercury 30hp Mystic 25W40
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: walterjay] #5282518 12/02/19 12:36 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 20,765
MolaKule Offline
Global Moderator
Offline
Global Moderator
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 20,765
It turns out to be about a 5W20:

Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0

Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8

TMP Ester 11% by weight.


The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the PCMO's ZDDP when this stuff is added.


Charlie Eppes: "What do you think we should do now?"
Don Eppes: "The same thing when I was in school and I didn't know the answer – fake it." From NUMB3RS
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: MolaKule] #5282555 12/02/19 04:55 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,446
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,446
Originally Posted by MolaKule
It turns out to be about a 5W20:

Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0

Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8

TMP Ester 11% by weight.


The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the PCMO's ZDDP when this stuff is added.

There was a thread from way back that a guy from Rislone/Bar's chimed in on..he mentioned something about stuff that wouldn't show up on your typical VOA. I think one thing he mentioned was [N butyl] something of other (I'm sure I got that wrong but it was something like that), i forget exactly what it was.

Do you recall this thread by chance? Are you aware of any tests revealing what else might be inside their formula??

What purpose is the TMP serving in your opinion? A cleaner? VM?? Stabilizer?

Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 12/02/19 04:56 AM.
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: walterjay] #5282920 12/02/19 01:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
B
burla Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
Funny a lot of people suggest "modern" engine oil when modern engine oil has continuously taken out aw/ep additives. Lifter tick happens to be an extreme pressure condition. I guess 2 plus 2 equals 10 around here, or something along those lines. Look at the high moly additives and oils on the market if rislone ever stops working. I'd say oil soluble ones that are ester based are less risky then powdered moly in suspension, but many guys have had luck with both. But for now, if it aint broke don't fix it, seams like you found your winner, as long as it isn't corrosive like chlorinated paraffins chances are it is doing more good then harm. They also have none moly additives that attempt to do the same thing, molygen motor protect may be one. Turns out to be tungsten, but there are others as well, titanium and stuff. The paper out there suggests moly is still the gold standard.

Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: MrQuackers] #5283087 12/02/19 03:33 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,386
MrQuackers Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,386


Master the 1000 yard stare

coffeeMobil 1 USA
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: burla] #5283261 12/02/19 06:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,316
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,316
Originally Posted by burla
Funny a lot of people suggest "modern" engine oil when modern engine oil has continuously taken out aw/ep additives. Lifter tick happens to be an extreme pressure condition. I guess 2 plus 2 equals 10 around here, or something along those lines. Look at the high moly additives and oils on the market if rislone ever stops working. I'd say oil soluble ones that are ester based are less risky then powdered moly in suspension, but many guys have had luck with both. But for now, if it aint broke don't fix it, seams like you found your winner, as long as it isn't corrosive like chlorinated paraffins chances are it is doing more good then harm. They also have none moly additives that attempt to do the same thing, molygen motor protect may be one. Turns out to be tungsten, but there are others as well, titanium and stuff. The paper out there suggests moly is still the gold standard.

But even your favorite oil doesn't contain "EP" additives other than ZDDP for anti-wear, correct? Not the same additives as in a gear oil, no responsible oil blender would do that.

So other than ZDDP what EP additives were present in the past that are not today?


1994 BMW 530i, 251K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 430K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: kschachn] #5283319 12/02/19 07:23 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
B
burla Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by burla
Funny a lot of people suggest "modern" engine oil when modern engine oil has continuously taken out aw/ep additives. Lifter tick happens to be an extreme pressure condition. I guess 2 plus 2 equals 10 around here, or something along those lines. Look at the high moly additives and oils on the market if rislone ever stops working. I'd say oil soluble ones that are ester based are less risky then powdered moly in suspension, but many guys have had luck with both. But for now, if it aint broke don't fix it, seams like you found your winner, as long as it isn't corrosive like chlorinated paraffins chances are it is doing more good then harm. They also have none moly additives that attempt to do the same thing, molygen motor protect may be one. Turns out to be tungsten, but there are others as well, titanium and stuff. The paper out there suggests moly is still the gold standard.

But even your favorite oil doesn't contain "EP" additives other than ZDDP for anti-wear, correct? Not the same additives as in a gear oil, no responsible oil blender would do that.

So other than ZDDP what EP additives were present in the past that are not today?


I'm not sure what your hang up is other then trolling, but I was referring to lubegard's biotech not any oil. And moly is the EP additive, so I don't know what you are talking about there as well. Now to mention esters which by themselves can also EP additives. You seam hung up on brand and not formula. If someone has a condition that is causing extreme pressures and it is manifesting itself in "noise", then use science to come up with a strategy to address it if you can't and don't want to address it mechanically. As it turns out, this often works. But, if the engine is ticking on some random oil, just using super tech because all of the "oil guys" love it, aint gonna work. People around here refuse to add the constant testimonials to their knowledge base, they would literally rather attack the character of a forum member then accept the fact sometimes the science gets t right, that sometimes the additives that are meant to do a job actually do that job. Actually you guys are a broke joke and not helping anyone with this. Try accepting the fact that many guys are killing these ticks with good science and then figure out why and earn that oil guy designation you give yourselves.

Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: kschachn] #5283322 12/02/19 07:24 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
B
burla Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
DP

Last edited by burla; 12/02/19 07:24 PM.
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: burla] #5283383 12/02/19 08:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,316
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,316
Originally Posted by burla
I'm not sure what your hang up is other then trolling, but I was referring to lubegard's biotech not any oil. And moly is the EP additive, so I don't know what you are talking about there as well. Now to mention esters which by themselves can also EP additives. You seam hung up on brand and not formula. If someone has a condition that is causing extreme pressures and it is manifesting itself in "noise", then use science to come up with a strategy to address it if you can't and don't want to address it mechanically. As it turns out, this often works. But, if the engine is ticking on some random oil, just using super tech because all of the "oil guys" love it, aint gonna work. People around here refuse to add the constant testimonials to their knowledge base, they would literally rather attack the character of a forum member then accept the fact sometimes the science gets t right, that sometimes the additives that are meant to do a job actually do that job. Actually you guys are a broke joke and not helping anyone with this. Try accepting the fact that many guys are killing these ticks with good science and then figure out why and earn that oil guy designation you give yourselves.

My goodness burla, I'm not sure where in my post you see a "hang up", I was mostly asking a question. And we are a "broken joke"?

People might listen to you more if you didn't make posts like this one or ones that got deleted in the past.


1994 BMW 530i, 251K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 430K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: kschachn] #5283433 12/02/19 09:03 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
B
burla Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
two times you bring up brand bias and neither time did I discuss a brand. Get's old and yes broke. ad hominem discredits people that bother to use it, there is a sunject on the board and it has nothing to do with me. Have anything of substance to add other then yeah Burla likes redline?

Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: burla] #5283449 12/02/19 09:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,376
B
bbhero Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,376
Burla I actually agree with you that there are times where additives actually do work. . Like Rislone... Or I have had used Hy-perlube polyolester work really well in the lady's Camry to stop that car's motor from being loud while running... I agree with you on that.

Molybdenum is a friction modifier though... Not a EP additive.


Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Cam2 full synthetic 5w30 Wix 57356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: bbhero] #5283486 12/02/19 10:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 12,396
PimTac Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 12,396
Originally Posted by bbhero
Burla I actually agree with you that there are times where additives actually do work. . Like Rislone... Or I have had used Hy-perlube polyolester work really well in the lady's Camry to stop that car's motor from being loud while running... I agree with you on that.

Molybdenum is a friction modifier though... Not a EP additive.





I agree on the molybdenum. It is a friction modifier.


2017 Mazda CX5
Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now? [Re: bbhero] #5283488 12/02/19 10:24 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
B
burla Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
Originally Posted by bbhero
Burla I actually agree with you that there are times where additives actually do work. . Like Rislone... Or I have had used Hy-perlube polyolester work really well in the lady's Camry to stop that car's motor from being loud while running... I agree with you on that.

Molybdenum is a friction modifier though... Not a EP additive.



extreme pressure additives

Moly is actually one dependant on extreme pressure to work at it's best, time, heat and pressure needed for the moly plate. Also shows esters are ep as well. Point being, look no farther then this list if your engine is ticking, because those spots where that tick is ricking create the conditions where you need EP additives.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™