2010 Camry PZEV vs ULEV Engines interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Aunt's engine is shot on her 2010 Toyota Camry 2.5L that we need to replace. I've found a few used engines with low miles that we would like to get. The issue is Camry shows two different listings for the same engine code (2ARFE) PZEV and ULEV and my question is the engine interchangeable? Her car is ULEV and the replacement engine we are looking at is PZEV. My guess the only difference is the exhaust manifold which we will be using the original one on the car anyways.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

She bought the car used and shortly after that It started to make terrible noise and has metal shavings inside the engine, looks like someone run it without oil. The cost to rebuild is way too expensive.

Sorry to hear the bitog goldenboy Camry has let you down. Maybe a JDM imported engine can work at a good price.

Car is showing codes PO012 and PO015

I found a used engine with 71K miles for $550 but its from a PZEV Camry and hers is a ULEV which is way I posted my question if it will work.

Last edited:
Im not certain but it used to work that you could take the longblock from japan or wherever and put all the donor sensors and manifolds on and your set.

Originally Posted by dareo
Sorry to hear the bitog goldenboy Camry has let you down. Maybe a JDM imported engine can work at a good price.

Sounds like the seller let her down, not the vehicle.

Sorry people sell cars like that.

It will matter depending on your state and emission testing. According to Lexus-ULEV: Ultra-Low Emission Vehicles. ULEVs are cleaner than LEV certified vehicles. ... PZEV: Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. PZEVs meet SULEV tailpipe emission standards, have zero evaporative emissions and a 15-year/150,000 mile warranty.
So the short of it is if you have the pzev motor by epa rules and emissions compliance you cant use the ulev engine.
I used to be a state licensed emission Inspector

So if I go from ULEV to PZEV than I should be ok? either way I think it should work because the actually motor should be the same, only thing different is probably the exhaust system or am I misunderstanding something?

What makes the difference between ULEV and PZEV the exhaust system, engine computer or something is actually different in the engine?

You'll be fine. There's nothing different about the engine, it's all in calibration and the addition of a cat-monitoring O2. The computer has no idea if it's a PZEV or ULEV engine, because they're the same. It's just looking for different sensors to more closely monitor emissions.

Get whatever is cheap and swap your existing parts.

This is so confusing with this emissions crap, I called one junk yard and he said the head is different on the PZEV vs the ULEV which doesn't sound right at all.

Last edited:
Is PZEV vs ULEV a CA vs Federal emissions thing too? Just wondering if there isn't a complication with CA vs Fed parts also.

Junkyard guy could be wrong too. Have you ponied up for a service manual, or subscribed online to (Alldata? Techstream? I believe you have options and don't have to subscribe for a long period)? I am thinking it might be a worthwhile investment, it should point out differences between models (I hope!).

So we replaced the engine and drive it for about 20 miles and the check engine light came on (code P0017 - Crankshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor B). I am wondering if this is because of the different emissions?

All the emissions stuff is external to the engine.

That crank correlation code means the cam and crank aren't in time. Did you have to pull the heads or cams during the engine swap? The problem might have been fixed if a competent mechanic inspected the timing and the VVT-i system. I have a feeling you need a new VVT-i actuator or timing chain/tensioner/rails.

Something similar here: http://carspecmn.com/2010-toyota-ca...g-repair-and-addressing-multiple-repair/

Last edited:
We replaced it ourselves, we didn't pull anything off, complete swap.

I looked on Toyota's OEM parts website and they have different part numbers for the exhaust cam gear for federal and california emissions.

Exhaust GearExhaust Gear
13070-0V013
CAMRY; FEDERAL

Exhaust GearExhaust Gear
13070-0V020
CAMRY; CALIFORNIA

That would make sense - but my worry that if the non-CA exhaust gear is installed if more issues arise. If the part isn't too expensive, it might be worth a try. You have a federal calibration as well, so no sense in flashing a CA calibration to make the problem go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back