Does Discount Tire sell seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tenderloin
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by millerbl00
Forgot to add after trying so many times the rims where ruined. They did pay for them

They have a lot of turnover and most of their employees are part-time, so what do you expect?

In my two areas many employees are trying for a career at Americas Tires. Company s growing with decent pay and benefits when you reach certain levels. Also they transfer people around so what may seem like huge turnover might be slightly less. You are correct in that there is proably those looking for short term work but many are looking longer term..Either way they should do their job correctly

My thoughts exactly about the employees being transferred around. There's about 4 Discounts in my immediate area and I've seen the same employees at all 4 during visits to different stores. Same when I lived in another city; I was going to that discount for about 5 years and I saw the same people fairly consistently and whenever I wouldn't, it was because they were transferred to another location.

Originally Posted by spk2000
My father in law worked for Michelin and they did not sell seconds or blems to tires dealers/shops. He could buy them at a substantial discount and I was able to grab them up occasionally for about 30% of new pricing. He was limited to a certain amount per year to prevent him from becoming a tire dealer.

Seconds (blems) have BLEM seared/branded into the sidewall.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
...In my two areas many employees are trying for a career at Americas Tires. Company s growing with decent pay and benefits when you reach certain levels. Also they transfer people around so what may seem like huge turnover might be slightly less. You are correct in that there is proably those looking for short term work but many are looking longer term..Either way they should do their job correctly
Agree with this post. In my experience with DT, some employees at the stores are moved from one store to another, as decided by regional management. Often ime it's to get them closer to their homes, which when they first start may not be a primary consideration. But, I'll go back to the same store(s) and see the same manager, and recognizable same staff.

That said, they sometimes move managers too. I've been told by a manager that their is a type of bid system for stores, and seniority is a prime consideration. Closest DT here has had the same manager for quite awhile. I don't expect that it is one of the highest sales volume stores. And it seems managers have some say in the staff they get and retain at a specific store.

I often inquire about specific guys I've bought tires from in the past, and find they still work for DT, just now at another store and closer to their home.

As for topic, quite certain I've never purchased or gotten a blem or "second" from DT.

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad
Used Discount Tire for the first and last time last week. They were new in my town so I tried them.

They completely cross threaded lug nut and it busted off when I took of the tire.

Called their corporate office and received no responses.

Never again.

[Linked Image]

On a friend's car they installed the lug nuts backwards, ruining the cone seating area. The car obviously shaked. They almost tipped over my car from the little lift. The next time I cautioned them about tipping it over, so the idiot my car was assigned, put some rubber blocks under the pinch welds, but not in the reinforced area: pinch welds got bent. Car is not pristine and I was too tired to fight them, so left it at that ... can't fix stupid. One location also overtorqued the nuts, checked by me afterwards; had a stud break when removing a wheel later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
In my area, discount tire acquires tires from local tire distributors. These are the same distributors who supply dealerships, independent tire shops and repair shops. So no, they do not receive factory seconds.

I don't have any DT stores in my area, but like you say, out of all the tire shops around, they have to buy them from the same distributors. I'm not sure if the distributors are allowed to buy directly from the tire manufacturers, but what a retail game that is.

Forgot to add after trying so many times the rims where ruined. They did pay for them

I don't understand how the rims got ruined? Did they scratch them or something during the process? New rims, in addition to new tires, changes everything.

I don't have discount tire stores where I live, but when I buy from discount tire online, the tires come from my local ATD warehouse.

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad
Used Discount Tire for the first and last time last week. They were new in my town so I tried them.

They completely cross threaded lug nut and it busted off when I took of the tire.

Called their corporate office and received no responses.

Never again.

[Linked Image]

Did you go to the store that cross threaded the nut, and tell them? This has happened to me twice. both times Discount Tire made it right.

They gave me a voucher to take to a local shop, who put in a new lug bolt and replaced the nut. Good as new. Discount Tire has always owned up to their error and taken care of it. I've never had a need to contact corporate.

Originally Posted by sxg6

I don't understand how the rims got ruined? Did they scratch them or something during the process? New rims, in addition to new tires, changes everything.

I don't have discount tire stores where I live, but when I buy from discount tire online, the tires come from my local ATD warehouse.

They used a wire brush on a air tool and cut them deeply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back