Cardboard to prevent ice on windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone put a piece of cardboard on their windshield to avoid scraping in the morning? Someone recommended this to me, I've tried regular windshield covers with mixed results. I have access to a lot of left over cardboard.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Does anyone put a piece of cardboard on their windshield to avoid scraping in the morning? Someone recommended this to me, I've tried regular windshield covers with mixed results. I have access to a lot of left over cardboard.

I use the windshield cover from Costco. Works good for me (it's not perfect).

it will prevent wet snow from acculating and freezing ,but frost will form instantly on the glass ,even before you turn around.
Unless the car is warmed a bit.Try it , different locations will have more or less success.
Question - how common is this practice? Around here it is rare.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by honeeagle
it will prevent wet snow from acculating and freezing ,but frost will form instantly on the glass ,even before you turn around.
Unless the car is warmed a bit.Try it , different locations will have more or less success.
Question - how common is this practice? Around here it is rare.

I've seen a few cars doing it, you really have nothing invested in it so if it flies off or someone takes it nothing lost.

The windshield cover is better because it has flaps that tuck into the doors. The cover also goes overtop the wiper blades.

I find the better use is when you get frozen ice that you won't have to worry about scraping off on the front windshield.

That cardboard could be easily blown off and damage the wipers.

The last thing you want is a big piece of cardboard catching a breeze and flying into the car next to yours, leaving a dent on the hood.

The Costco one is on sale this month. It's decent for our RAV4. Price is much higher on-line for some reason. IIRC it was $14.99 in-store.
Link

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
The Costco one is on sale this month. It's decent for our RAV4. Price is much higher on-line for some reason. IIRC it was $14.99 in-store.
Link

As great of an idea that it is, I can honestly see that thing ending up in the garbage after a handful of times (nobody wants to deal with a big wet, soggy mat that'll turn to ice once you leave it in a cold car for a few hours).

When I know there is going to be freezing rain I will find a stable surface to set my 1500W electric heater inside the car. Then I plug a 25 foot 12 gauge cord into it, then 20-30 minutes before I leave I plug it in. Ice is gone, and you have a better chance of opening your door without busting the handle off.

Cardboard works for me. Doesn't cost anything and nobody's gonna steal it in a store parking lot.

last week we had our first real snow of the year, during the day, I used my trusty windshield cover in the parking lot @ work, couple spots over I actually saw someone had their floor mats on the windshield..held down by their wipers...

Originally Posted by earlyre
last week we had our first real snow of the year, during the day, I used my trusty windshield cover in the parking lot @ work, couple spots over I actually saw someone had their floor mats on the windshield..held down by their wipers...

Not what I'd do but I guess that works too.. you can always toss them in the wash/dry once you get home I suppose.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I spray white vinegar on mine..if i think its going to snow or freezing rain.

What's the freezing point of vinegar, especially after being diluted with rain?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by earlyre

Not what I'd do but I guess that works too.. you can always toss them in the wash/dry once you get home I suppose.

Maybe they were rubber mats. Rubber would be a lot better, more likely to cling to the windshield. Up here we seem to have more freezing rain events than years ago, major pain. The hassle to use windshield covers for myself are just not worth it. First couple of uses are okay but then it becomes old real fast.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Too much freezing rain here, cardboard gets frozen to windshield. People try it once, maybe twice, never again.

That's why I use an electric heater. Works at home anyway.

Originally Posted by madeej11

Maybe they were rubber mats. Rubber would be a lot better, more likely to cling to the windshield. Up here we seem to have more freezing rain events than years ago, major pain. The hassle to use windshield covers for myself are just not worth it. First couple of uses are okay but then it becomes old real fast.

I wasn't poo-pooing the notion of using mats entirely. I'm not particularly keen on the idea simply for the fact that there's the possibility they'll get stolen. That aside, I'm sure they'd work in a pinch. Fwiw, I keep a gallon jug of deicing fluid and spray deicer along with a scraper in the back of the van just in case I need it. There's at least once or twice during the winter I find I need/use it/them. It's just good planning..

Last edited:
Google Frost Guard I have one and love it. Has elastic straps that wraps around the side mirrors to hold in place and covers the whole windshield.

My neighbors both got them for Christmas . One was found in my bushes my neighbor told me do me a favor and toss it my mother in law bought it for me. My other neighbor used it a few times he said he tossed it out not worth the hassle putting it on and taking it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back