Engine RPM’s while passing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find I rarely floor the engine except while passing. Even then my 6 liter LS engine usually kicks down and revs to about 4500 rpm before I back off and pull back into the right lane. What rpm is your engine running typically reving at during a pass.
smile.gif

Edit: and what engine might this be?

Last edited:
My 530i 3-liter I6 runs at around 3k RPM when cruising at 80 mph in top gear (5th). If I want to pass at that speed, I usually don't need to downshift.

Wife's Q5 will typically downshift from 8th to 7th or 6th gear when passing, depending on how far you press the accelerator pedal. RPMs will jump from 2k to somewhere around 3k. Of course if you floor it, it will downshift even more and the revs will go up higher.

In the Charger, it's similar as in the Q5 as it has very similar ZF8 trans.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
8000 RPM BMW R1200 engine opposed twin cylinder
5800 Buick 3.8 V6

Nothing else I own has a tach.

Rod

I'll bet that R1200 sounds sweet.
laugh.gif

BMW has a even fire, and a VERY effective factory muffler. We call it a 'Baby Farts" it is how it rides that matters. That part is sweet.

In the numerous cars I rent, the RPM during a passing event is always near redline. Generally just under 6000 RPM.

In my previous car, a Turbocharged S2000 AP2, Redline was originally 8200, but the tune raised it to 8600. I hit that regularly.

Last edited:
I might touch 6k in the Mazda 3. Grand Marquis, I have no idea as there is no tach. Now I'm curious and need to put my ELM327 connector and run torque to gather some "data" while I give her an Italian tune up.

On a two lane road I give it all the RPMs. I downshift and floor it in hopes that I can pass the car in front of me with my little 3 cylinder engine.

In all of my cars I drive on 2 lane highways, they end up toward redline or at 5-6k rpm. No point in not flooring it. Especially when you have a small four cylinder.

I find I rarely floor the engine except while passing. Even then my 6 liter LS engine usually kicks down and revs to about 4500 rpm before I back off and pull back into the right lane. What rpm is your engine running typically reving at during a pass.
smile.gif

Edit: and what engine might this be?

About 3500rpm usually unless I'm passing in a tight spot maybe I'll push it to 4200-4400rpm before it will shift. Usually I floor it for the downshift and let off halfway through the pass. Stock smog era 350 Olds with a 4 speed overdrive and 2.93 gears.

With the winter car (83 Caprice 305) there's no tach but I'm guessing about 4000rpm, except you don't let up from full throttle until you're safely back in the lane. (No power).

what RPM? I only have digital speed in miles per hour when I glance at right. If I am *really* in mood to pass somebody, that number is in 3 digit after I complete my pass.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
6 to 7k on two lane routes.

What engine is it?
smile.gif

Turbo V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back