People who steal debit card info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pew
I almost solely use my debit card with Chase and I've never ever had an issue with their fraud protection - in fact it's one of the best I've ever come across.

That's fine but a credit card has the same and more protections and is much better at processing a chargeback if a purchase is defective. And the $50 a month I get back on average is sweet.

Originally Posted by Pew
You guys complaining about debit card security need a better bank or something. I almost solely use my debit card with Chase and I've never ever had an issue with their fraud protection - in fact it's one of the best I've ever come across. I go on road trips a lot and I know that they track my progress across state lines at gas stations when I use my card too. If anything is out of the ordinary, they'll immediately lock my card and text+call me.

Ditto..ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Pew
I almost solely use my debit card with Chase and I've never ever had an issue with their fraud protection - in fact it's one of the best I've ever come across.

That's fine but a credit card has the same and more protections and is much better at processing a chargeback if a purchase is defective. And the $50 a month I get back on average is sweet.

How do you figure? Both of my MC branded debit cards have "purchase protection" and "price protection" and "extended warranty protection" which doubles the mfgs warranty up to 1yr. Where there is no mfgs warranty, it's like 90dys IIRC. Truth is, when it comes to fraud and purchase protections there's very little difference nowadays between a CC and DC, in other words they're more alike than they are different. But you do you.. it's not my mission in life to change people's ways....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Pew

How do you figure? Both of my MC branded debit cards have "purchase protection" and "price protection" and "extended warranty protection" which doubles the mfgs warranty up to 1yr. Where there is no mfgs warranty, it's like 90dys IIRC. Truth is, when it comes to fraud and purchase protections there's very little difference nowadays between a CC and DC, in other words they're more alike than they are different. But you do you.. it's not my mission in life to change people's ways....

I was referring to protection if you pay for something and it was misrepresented or never even sent. That's not the same as "purchase protection," "price protection" or "extended warranty protection" You generally get 3-6 months to dispute a charge on a credit card, and when you do, you get the charge removed in days while it's investigated. https://www.chargebackgurus.com/blog/know-your-chargeback-dispute-types-debit-card-vs.-credit-card Not nearly as long or fast on debit cards. And I haven't even mentioned that with a debit card the money is removed from your account immediately at the time of purchase. With a credit card, your money is still in the bank earning interest until the day you pay the bill.

Where I live, the credit card/debit card isn't touched by anyone except the customer, vendors usually won't even want to touch your card. The vendors also have mobile card swipe machines at restaurants so the car never has to leave your person.

I never use my debit/bank card to make a purchase. Always use a credit card. If it gets scammed at least there is a buffer between the transaction and my bank account. I do online purchases with only vendors that have well established and secure protocols. If I wish to do business with any companies in china I use prepaid credit cards so the damage is minimized if things go sideways.

My card has never been compromised.

Debit card and credit card fraud will continue until the industry abandons the magnetic strip on backside of cards and no longer encodes unencrypted full account info there. THAT is what is driving the majority of card fraud resulting from skims and cloning. The chip on front may not be the most secure technology possible but it is way more secure than the un-encrypted data held on the easily readable magnetic strip.

Skimming that magnetic strip and cloning up a duplicate is so easy a caveman could do it.

And while they're at it, make secret PIN code entry *required* on all transactions of the chip cards. That alone would cut card-present fraud by 80% in this country.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Debit card and credit card fraud will continue until the industry abandons the magnetic strip on backside of cards and no longer encodes unencrypted full account info there. THAT is what is driving the majority of card fraud resulting from skims and cloning. The chip on front may not be the most secure technology possible but it is way more secure than the un-encrypted data held on the easily readable magnetic strip.

Skimming that magnetic strip and cloning up a duplicate is so easy a caveman could do it.

And while they're at it, make secret PIN code entry *required* on all transactions of the chip cards. That alone would cut card-present fraud by 80% in this country.

Apple Pay leapfrogs all of that with fingerprint or FaceID plus tokenized card numbers.

Cards are on the way out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Apple Pay leapfrogs all of that with fingerprint or FaceID plus tokenized card numbers.

The torch be Apple Pay, the oil be card fraud, and the old dude be me:

No thanks, I'm not using Apple pay because I don't want either the face ID or fingerprint used.

When my Visa card go compromised on-line, I talked to the Visa fraud dept and ask them why credit cards don't need a PIN for all transactions? They said because too many people complain that using a PIN is too inconvenient ... wow.

Long story short, I guess it's been happening frequently (tis the season) so fraud dept was on it. I was drained 1300$ in two days on cab rides and food orders.

My money is back, and I'm getting a new card in the mail any day now.

When this skimming business got into full swing, I parked my debit card in the back of my wallet and EVERYTHING goes on the cash-back credit card. The cc has been hacked a few times over the years, but I much prefer that the hacking never involve my bank account.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
When this skimming business got into full swing, I parked my debit card in the back of my wallet and EVERYTHING goes on the cash-back credit card. The cc has been hacked a few times over the years, but I much prefer that the hacking never involve my bank account.

Yep.

I only use my ATM card inside the grocery store to get cash back when buying groceries. I never use ATM outside of store.

Other than that I always use my credit cards.

This.

I've had several credit cards compromised. I travel a lot.

Debit card is for getting cash, which is used for most small transactions, and that's IT.

Credit card for all others.

In addition, my wallet is RFID-blocking.

Originally Posted by Astro14

This.

I've had several credit cards compromised. I travel a lot.

Debit card is for getting cash, which is used for most small transactions, and that's IT.

Credit card for all others.

In addition, my wallet is RFID-blocking.

That's the first thing the local police detective said to me about a Chase Saphire card when buying his coffee at a 7-Eleven. That was a target in the area close to ORD (O'hare - Chicago airport for non-locals).

Originally Posted by AC1DD

No thanks, I'm not using Apple pay because I don't want either the face ID or fingerprint used.

That!

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by AC1DD

That!

You're afraid someone will get access to those?

That's not how it works.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

When my Visa card go compromised on-line, I talked to the Visa fraud dept and ask them why credit cards don't need a PIN for all transactions? They said because too many people complain that using a PIN is too inconvenient ... wow.

Tough luck. Given the fraud losses being taken up the wazoo by the bank, finance, and retail sectors due to the magnetic strip's built-in non-secure condition PIN entry needs to be forced upon the populace.

If they don't like straining their simple little brains to enter a 4 digit number, these PIN refusers can then start bending over and taking the fraud loss themselves. Use a PIN = fraud protection in force, don't use a PIN = you own the fraud loss. Simple as pie !!

One fraud incident as a PIN refuser under that rule = PIN user for life afterwards !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back