1990's crown vic owners, oil/fluid suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some fluid changes this weekend, put Valvoline SAE 75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil in the differential and GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 and the power steering fluid. The diff was gross, grayish goo and the power steering was brownish. It drives so differently now, acceleration seems tighter if that makes sense. Also put on 4 new tires. Next weekend is probably drop the transmission pan and do a filter and gasket and 5 quarts of fluid. The current coolant has a yellowish color, is that the correct one for this year?

You can actually drain the torque converter on those a d replace all the trans fluid. Use mercon v. It supersedes regular mercon.

Coolant from factory in 1990 was green.
Power steering fluid is ATF type "F" but you are ok with PS fluid.
Original engine oil was 10w-30 but later changed to 5w-30.
Original trans fluid was Mercon but changed to Mercon V.
You did right on the rear axle. Was originally spec'd for 80w-90 but when API messed with the spec's, Ford went to 75w-140.

Last edited:
How much fluid do I need, I bought a 5 quart for just dropping the pan and doing the filter, which is about 4.5 quarts if I remember correctly.

For the trans? 5 quarts is about right. I think 4.5 quarts if you don't drop the filter.
Drain it hot and let it drip a long time. I usually let mine drip overnight.

Last edited:
I believe the entire trans is 14qrts. If in can, I replace all the trans fluid. Crown vic's and f150 are one of the few vehicles that let you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back