Neighbors who do stuff without asking the owner first

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut down this small tree that was only like 8ft tall to keep my neighbor happy because it was blocking her view, then about a month later the little suckers started growing back, not tall at all only like 5'' but anyways, a couple months later I walk back there and see that she's been trying to dig up the stump, but I find it a bit annoying that she did all this without asking. I mean what's her plan now? Is she going to go at it with a chain saw? That's about all you can use at this point to cut the roots out. I think she thought she could transplant it somewhere else. Maybe she'll hire a tree company and have them grind the stump down on her dime? Btw it's a small tree and the stump is only like 5'' in diameter, but I assure it's not going to be able to be pulled out, at least not without some extensive digging. Gotta love that townhouse living. smh. I think I'll just leave it and see what she comes up with. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by SOHCman
film it and post it to Benny Hill music at double speed?

I should put some security cameras out there.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Could drill some holes in the stump and put rock salt (or similar) in them, but it would have been a good idea for her to ask first.

I think you can burn the stump too.

I know this is small potatoes, but what does everyone think about people who do things like this?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I know this is small potatoes, but what does everyone think about people who do things like this?

I remember as a kid my dad decided while trimming the property line fence to go ahead and trim the neighbors who had alot of growth around their ac unit.

Turns out they were growing a few pot plants there. He weed wacked a good amount of their stuff. LOL
This was back in the woods though, not in a townhouse or neighborhood type situation. From that day I learned to ask LOL

I've never had an issue with my current neighbors on the right. This is really the first "neighborhood" I've lived in (growing up everyone had 5+ acre lots) Sometimes I mow the right side of my front yard and go into their yard, mowing it so it looks clean from our driveway to theres, they dont mind as they're an older couple who pays to get it done if I dont. The left side on the other hand, yeah I just mow mine, the dude that lives there is bat crazy and, even though I asked before, he wants me to...pay him so I can mow into his property?

Anyway, I'm the type of person to ask or offer and I let it be known to treat me the same. Ask me or offer to do something for me, as surprises arent my forte, if someone grinds my gears and does something that affects me, I let it be known. I'm not one to sugarcoat something. Especially if they attempt to do something and dont know what they are doing so I have to either help or fix it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by John_K
They shouldn't do anything on your property without your permission. Period.

Exactly!

We had a neighbor here digging around the base of our gas line at the side of our home because she didn't like the look of some bushes (yet her shrubs in front of her home look like a wild jungle) The reason I knew initially was because she was out at 7:30 am on a saturday morning and I could here a metal pipe slightly moving in our basement! It was her with a darn metal spade bumping into the line!

Last edited:
How about midnight spraying runs with 2-4-D week killer?
blush.gif

I used to trim my next door neighbors Pepper tree that grew over my fence. Only what grew over my fence line. I would never think of crossing the property line.

She shouldn't be doing that, but she probably means well. I can't see the stump and how it expands out, but wonder if you could just drill a hole, pour some roundup in, give it a week, then dig just enough to cut it a few inches below the soil (or use an axe) then bury it.

Originally Posted by John_K
They shouldn't do anything on your property without your permission. Period.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This woman has absolutely no business on your property. Let alone digging on it. She does not seem worthy of being "nice" to. I would tell her to stop in very plain terms.

This type of stuff happens in planned communities all the time. Trees overhang on other peoples property, dropping leaves and crap into pools. I lived with it for 22 years. There isn't much you can do about it. If someone finds vegetation on a neighbors property that offensive, the only solution is to move where they don't have to deal with either.

Some people don't know what boundaries are. Apparently you don't have a fence to kerp her off your property?

You cut the tree down for her as a favor and she's returning the favor by keeping the saplings under control. Not a big deal IMO.

Now if you don't want to have to worry about her being back there while say your dog is outside or if it's a privacy issue, it may not be a bad idea to casually mention for her to let you know what she's planning on doing ahead of time.

Small potatoes, not an expression one hears every day these days. Like it.

As for topic, if the tree trunk/stump is on your property as you state, obviously next door neighbor was out of line doing anything to it without consulting you first.

In this case Robert Frost had it right, "good fences make good neighbors." I guess not a possible solution with "townhouse living"?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

I remember as a kid my dad decided while trimming the property line fence to go ahead and trim the neighbors who had alot of growth around their ac unit.

Turns out they were growing a few pot plants there. He weed wacked a good amount of their stuff. LOL
This was back in the woods though, not in a townhouse or neighborhood type situation. From that day I learned to ask LOL

I've never had an issue with my current neighbors on the right. This is really the first "neighborhood" I've lived in (growing up everyone had 5+ acre lots) Sometimes I mow the right side of my front yard and go into their yard, mowing it so it looks clean from our driveway to theres, they dont mind as they're an older couple who pays to get it done if I dont. The left side on the other hand, yeah I just mow mine, the dude that lives there is bat crazy and, even though I asked before, he wants me to...pay him so I can mow into his property?

Anyway, I'm the type of person to ask or offer and I let it be known to treat me the same. Ask me or offer to do something for me, as surprises arent my forte, if someone grinds my gears and does something that affects me, I let it be known. I'm not one to sugarcoat something. Especially if they attempt to do something and dont know what they are doing so I have to either help or fix it.

We have a neighbor down the street cut like 5ft into his elderly neighbor's yard (between their houses). After a few years, he took her to court claiming the property was his because he maintained it. Yeah, he lost and he was/is crazy.

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

We have a neighbor down the street cut like 5ft into his elderly neighbor's yard (between their houses). After a few years, he took her to court claiming the property was his because he maintained it. Yeah, he lost and he was/is crazy.

Not that I agree with the guy, but he could have been onto something. I'm not sure how it exactly works, but in Indiana if you grant somebody access to your land over a certain amount of time, they could claim an easement. Granted easement and ownership are 2 different things? Maybe that was his intention.

Say you let your neighbor drive through your property to more easily access the back of theirs and this goes on for a few years. They could then claim an easement and that "favor" could legally be passed down to the next property owners.

It's odd stuff IMO.

Last edited:

I don't think you've posted a cohesive picture. You mention townhouse living - if so, then I'd check what is actually yours; you likely don't own any land, except maybe the square below the townhouse, if that. You own what's inside the walls. If that's the case, you and she may be in the wrong - should check the codes.

But let's assume you own the property, it's not clear from the OP if you cut down the tree on your property (my assumption), or did it as a favor on her property. If she is trespassing on your property, it's just that. I'd probably just tell her that you're worried about liability if she gets injured, and request she doesn't do that.

About 3 years back, have a neighbor behind me about 25 yards from my back yard. He likes to throw 4th of July parties. Around 9-10 pm that nite -- I start hearing fireworks. Next thing you know there landing on my roof. Walked back and told him exactly what was happening with them hitting my roof and to "please stop". No sooner did I get in my house another round goes off. Police called and that put an end to the party and our small talk still to this day. Some people just have NO KOOTH!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back