1995 Mercedes E320 transmission fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manual calls for NLA Dexron IIx. Can I use the Dexron VI I already have? I know it's backward compatible but I've read some people saying to use Dex III.

Originally Posted by kschachn
dexron VI fluids are better than the old dexron II or III in every performance aspect.

Yes I understand that and in a new or rebuilt transmission I wouldn't hesitate using it. But, I'm reading that in old transmissions the new synthetic fluid can cause problems.

Well I can tell you that I'm currently using dexron VI fluid in my 1994 BMW and my 1999 Sienna without issues. I've been doing so for over 125,000 miles in the BMW so I wound think that a 1995 Mercedes is comparable.

What kind of problems could it cause? The starting viscosity is lower but it is also more shear stable as part of the dexron VI specification. I don't buy much into the "synthetic vs. conventional" argument since Group III basestocks are chemically identical to Group II or Group I so I don't see how that could be a problem either. The benefit is higher oxidation resistance which is beneficial in an ATF.

Originally Posted by atikovi
What kind of problems could it cause?
Soften/dissolve the friction clutches?

If that is a fear you have then I'd say don't use dexron VI since any subsequent failure would be automatically attributed to the fluid, regardless of actual cause.

But if that was an actual technical concern then dexron VI would not have been back-specified. Any fluid that would dissolve the clutch material would be quite the failure.

Are you thinking there is some ester content in Dex VI?

This actually has bearing on an upcoming transmission service I am doing. The transmission is an Aisin 09M/G and specs T-IV. Replacement oil includes just about anything including Dex VI. The cost per quart varies from about $4.50 to $22. I am leaning towards just using the Dex VI just because the cost.

If that is a fear you have then I'd say don't use dexron VI since any subsequent failure would be automatically attributed to the fluid, regardless of actual cause.

But if that was an actual technical concern then dexron VI would not have been back-specified. Any fluid that would dissolve the clutch material would be quite the failure.

While that's a good point, Dexron is made for GM cars primarily. I doubt they would test it on other car makes that used the fluid to make sure it was backwards compatible with them too.

My 95 Suburban below is also spec'd for Dex II and I have been using Dex III fluid since I bought the truck more than 10 years ago.
It is holding up fine.

Valvoline Maxlife ATF seems to be a popular replacement for a lot of applications requiring the old Dex II.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
This actually has bearing on an upcoming transmission service I am doing. The transmission is an Aisin 09M/G and specs T-IV. Replacement oil includes just about anything including Dex VI. The cost per quart varies from about $4.50 to $22. I am leaning towards just using the Dex VI just because the cost.

T-IV is a Toyota spec'd fluid, you have to ask yourself if what you're saving in using another type of fluid is worth the risk of damaging the tranny, only you can decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back