2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE Transmission Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I've got an 06 Pathfinder SE and the transmission fluid is looking yellowish color. I've heard that means its time to change it but it shifts fine through gears. I want to try to replace as much of the fluid as possible. What is the best way to drain it and fill it back up to be most efficient and effective without a flush machine? And does Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic DEX/MERC work good in these transmissions? The bottle says it's compatable with it and I can't afford 10.99/qt at the dealer for OEM and they won't come down at the price even when I offered to buy 10 quarts at one time. Ive used the Valvoline in a Honda Z-1 Transmission and it seemed to work fine I was just wondering if anyone else here has had any experience with it in the past and if I should add any extra additives to it. The car has around 129k miles on it by the way and not sure of total service history.

Please don't start a transmission fluid war...‚ I'm just on a tight budget but want to keep my car fluids changed and running as long as possible. I have seen Castrol transmax for nissan in stores I just don't have any experience with it. Hope you guys can help thanks!

81TMCJK-OHL._SY879_.jpg

For what it's worth it worked well in my friend's girlfriend's 06 Altima with 160k miles. It has been in for about 7k miles without issue but im sure there are people with much longer intervals who can chime in.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
For what it's worth it worked well in my friend's girlfriend's 06 Altima with 160k miles. It has been in for about 7k miles without issue but im sure there are people with much longer intervals who can chime in.

Thank you for the help I'll go buy some here in the next week.

Originally Posted by mclasser
MaxLife performed great in my old Infiniti. I'd run it with confidence.

Thanks for the response! Do you have any advice for changing it? I do know of the normal take the bolt out and let it drain then refill method but I know not much usually drains out or if there was another more effective way to do it.

I've been running Maxlife in my G's Jatco 7AT for the past 10,000+ miles and I'm very happy with it. The 5AT is even less particular. I would stick with the drain and fill method on an 06, otherwise you will need to drop the pan or buy a fluid transfer pump. The former is probably not worth it as the Jatco AT's do not have a serviceable filter and at least some used a molded gasket that's integral to the pan, and cannot be replaced separately if it breaks coming off do to age. The later is an option, but a decent one runs $80-120.

Know nothing about JATCO transmissions or Nissans for that matter, but Maxlife worked well in my Buick Encore and it will be going into my Kia Soul, too. OTOH- I can't work on cars in my condo, so there may be other fluids out there at a good price. Maxlife is just the universal, off the shelf fluid at my service point.

Youtube is your friend. Here's a video on changing the oil and transmission filter in a 2006 Pathfinder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0OwgbWbOGo

I believe you have to take out the drain bolt to drain the transmission and fill through the dipstick. You'll have to check the owner's manual to find out how much fluid is needed for a drain and fill. I would do multiple drain and fills.

I believe the '06 used NissanMatic J. I know for sure my '03 Pathfinder used the NissanMatic D.

Now NissanMatic D and J has been superseded by NissanMatic S, a lower viscosity or LV ATF.

The NissanMatic series is essentially a clone of the Dexron series from Dexron III-H to Dexron VI.

Valvoline states a recommendation for Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, Matic-S, Matic W, so the Valvoline MaxLife ATF should work fine.

Last edited:
Should I replace the mesh filter in the pan as well? Or add any lubegard as an extra additive? I'm also bypassing the radiator internal cooler and mounting a 10,000 lb towing capacity external cooler to eliminate the risk of cross contamination.

If the mesh filter has not been damaged or clogged I would just spray some brake cleaner on it and not replace it.

If you use an external cooler I would make sure it has a thermostat on it that bypasses the fluid until it warms up.

No need for LubeGard unless the you have evidence of varnish.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
If you use an external cooler I would make sure it has a thermostat on it that bypasses the fluid until it warms up.

What kind of thermostat do you recommend? I'm not very familiar with ones for transmission fluid.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
I believe the '06 used NissanMatic J. I know for sure my '03 Pathfinder used the NissanMatic D.

Now NissanMatic D and J has been superseded by NissanMatic S, a lower viscosity or LV ATF.

I have an '08 Infiniti and it specs Matic-J so you're most likely correct about this one spec'ing J too. If not, it would be something older, such as Matic-D.

While not as cheap as Valvoline Maxlife ATF, another good option would be Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. Darn (go to watch my mouth), it's not on sale at Walmart anymore. I got a gallon of it for $14 and some change. It's now off sale and double that now !

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
While not as cheap as Valvoline Maxlife ATF, another good option would be Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. Darn (go to watch my mouth), it's not on sale at Walmart anymore. I got a gallon of it for $14 and some change. It's now off sale and double that now !

Have you tried both in Nissan? I've never used Castrol transfluid before. If it seems to shift better and hold up longer I'll get it I can usually get a good deal on any on the shelf fluid in stores. I'm usually a OEM fluid guy but after putting Valvoline dex/merc full synthetic in my old 97 Honda crv and it nearly fixed the transmission with help of a little lubegard it had me convinced to venture out and try aftermarket fluids.

I use Castrol IMV in my Infiniti G35X.

If you "research" this, there's a lot of speculation that this fluid and Matic-J are really, really similar.... Remember, Nissan doesn't make fluid and "Matic-J" isn't a fluid necessarily, but a spec.

That's what I've been reading I just noticed it's not synthetic. But that probably doesn't really matter since Matic J wasn't synthetic either. I'm just looking for good value and quality fluid. And Matic J was replaced with Matic S which I didn't see specified on Castrol import.

Your vehicle specs Matic-J, that's all that matters. Just because Nissan superseded Matic-J with Matic-S doesn't mean anything is wrong with the older variant either. Not being full synthetic was just fine with Nissan when they used it originally.

You're right that IMV doesn't meet Matic-S as well. For that, you need Castrol's Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. I'd buy that and use it if they sold it in 1-gallon containers but they only offer it in 1-quart. This is also fully approved by Ford for use in the transmission in my wife's car so I'd use it in both.

Okay thanks I'll see if I can catch it on sale I need alot of it I plan to do multiple drain/refills due to the age of the fluid in the vehicle currently and in case of any potential water after I do the radiator bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back