In writing. 0w20 Mobil Oils can be used where 5w20 is recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by paoester

VW 508 0w20, by requirement, must have a easily visible green-blue color. I have thought the dye might wash out with age, yet VAG put that requirement there to rat us out.

Would a dealership deny an engine warranty claim (for example, if the timing chain stretched, or I lost a rod bearing) if they found out I'm being naughty & currenlty putting in Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 because I had it left over in my stash?

I do plan to get with the program and use VW 508 in the future, since its a great spec.

If the car maker REQUIRES you to use ONLY their oil, I believe they need to provide it free of charge ...

Originally Posted by geeman789
If the car maker REQUIRES you to use ONLY their oil, I believe they need to provide it free of charge ...

VW 508 is available in Motul, Castrol, Total, Mobil1, Ravenol, LiquiMoly, Fuchs, & maybe others I've missed, so, no, they aren't specifying one oil, it is simply a higher spec, like MB 229.71 or dexos1 for example.
In fact, their dealership oil is Castrol labelled VW 508, unlike what Toyota, BMW, et al does with their 'house brand' where they put their own label on.
The green-blue dye is part of the 508 spec.

Originally Posted by paoester

VW 508 is available in Motul, Castrol, Total, Mobil1, Ravenol, LiquiMoly, Fuchs, & maybe others I've missed, so, no, they aren't specifying one oil, it is simply a higher spec, like MB 229.71 or dexos1 for example.
In fact, their dealership oil is Castrol labelled VW 508, unlike what Toyota, BMW, et al does with their 'house brand' where they put their own label on.
The green-blue dye is part of the 508 spec.

Are all of the after market oils dyed green as well ? And, after say 5000 miles is the oil still green?

Are all of the after market oils dyed green as well ? And, after say 5000 miles is the oil still green?

Yes all have the dye. It is part of the 508 spec itself. You can't be a 508 oil without the blue-green color.
Great question. After a while you would think it would fade. Still, you get the idea. They are super strict on exactly their own spec oil being used. Dealerships are supposed to know immediately if you used the right oil or not.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
At the end of the day, I'm just curious who will put their money where their mouth is and go against their new vehicle warranty based on some marketing claims made on an oil company's website.

I'm not sure I'm "going against" my new vehicle warranty, but I'm certainly running a product that lacks the specific approval that isn't in the specified grade (5w-20) in my RAM.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

We know that at least with Mobil's flagship 0w-20's, EP and AP, that they are basically entirely PAO-based, whereas this is not the case with their 5w-20's. Thus, one can use a cheaper base and more VII in a 5w-20 to hit the intended performance target and respective winter rating. In this case, the 0w-20 may actually use less VII ...

The 0w max viscosity limits are difficult to meet, and seem to require higher quality ingredients to make an oil that will pump and flow at extreme cold temps, AND stay in grade over a full OCI.

But there are plenty non-Mobil 0w-20's that don't use PAO
21.gif
the TGMO 0w-20 is entirely Group III based, the SOPUS ones use a thin (4cSt) GTL base.

Why stop at M1 0W20 ?
Ravenol makes lofty claims about their EFE 0W16.
I have used it before for many, many miles.
Use with confidence, in the appropriate circumstances.

Originally Posted by wemay
Hallsteveson, I'll be using 0w20 M1AP I just picked up on clearance from AZone. I'm not worried.

I'm not worried either. I'm running 0w30 in a vehicle calling for 5w20, still under warranty.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Hallsteveson, I'll be using 0w20 M1AP I just picked up on clearance from AZone. I'm not worried.

I'm not worried either. I'm running 0w30 in a vehicle calling for 5w20, still under warranty.

ðŸ‘

Sunday confessions...you rebel you!...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

ðŸ‘

Sunday confessions...you rebel you!...‚

Yes ðŸ‘

We know that at least with Mobil's flagship 0w-20's, EP and AP, that they are basically entirely PAO-based, whereas this is not the case with their 5w-20's. Thus, one can use a cheaper base and more VII in a 5w-20 to hit the intended performance target and respective winter rating. In this case, the 0w-20 may actually use less VII ...

The 0w max viscosity limits are difficult to meet, and seem to require higher quality ingredients to make an oil that will pump and flow at extreme cold temps, AND stay in grade over a full OCI.

21.gif
the TGMO 0w-20 is entirely Group III based, the SOPUS ones use a thin (4cSt) GTL base.

Noted.

Maybe this is more accurate ... in the past, an 0w oil required higher quality ingredients ??? The advances in Group III / GTL base oil technologies, plus more advanced additives and better chemistry seem to have changed things ...

I'm running 0w40 in vehicles calling for 0w20!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722

lol.gif

And in any other part of the world, your owners manual would likely say that's OK !

*Didn't Mobil revise the label on 0W20 / 0W30 AFE to no longer state " Acceptable for 5W20 / 5W30 applications" ? ... I don't believe there would be any issues in using it though in a 5W20 / 5W30 application .
Originally Posted by blupupher
I have never thought twice about using 0w20 in a 5w-20 spec'ed vehicle.
I swap between them based on nothing more than what I grab out of my stash.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

lol.gif

And in any other part of the world, your owners manual would likely say that's OK !

Funny you mentioned other parts of the world. I checked Mobil DE a while back and my 2016 Rubicon oil selection was M1 ESP 5w30. At the time that was the only selection.

21.gif

I think the point was more related to the use of VIIs and the need to use some really light basestocks in order to get the 0w-20 rating. Light basestocks with VII aren't necessarily as shear stable. And a PAO with notionally better viscosity range might allow a formulation that requires less VII.

If TGMO or SOPUS puts a ton of VII, or not, is on them.

Granted I'm seeing PAO M1EP get pretty beat up in my hybrid.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Didn't Mobil revise the label on 0W20 / 0W30 AFE to no longer state " Acceptable for 5W20 / 5W30 applications" ? ... I don't believe there would be any issues in using it though in a 5W20 / 5W30 application.

Their bottle labels used to say that but no longer do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back