1st 100K mile Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The link is to a Yelp review of a Mexican restaurant in San Diego....

So...

How many cars hold up as well as Las Cuatro Milpas?

Hard to say...

Is it Taco Tuesday already.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14
The link is to a Yelp review of a Mexican restaurant in San Diego....

So...

How many cars hold up as well as Las Cuatro Milpas?

Hard to say...

If you haven't been to Las Cuatro Milpas you haven't lived...
It will punch your gut, though. Don't over do it.

Last edited:
I've had pickups in the past that have gone well beyond that mileage and not had any issues other than maintenance. And apparently he can't go more than 25,000 miles on a set of tires-I normally get at least double, if not triple that mileage out of a set.

Also, according to him he's also saved a thousand or more in oil changes alone-once again I'll call nonsense to that figure. My oil life monitors routinely take me up to 6,000 or 7,000 miles, which over 100,000 miles maybe equates to $500 in oil changes for a smaller sump, $800 in a larger sump. His fuel amount is adjusted for California, which is well over double per gallon than it is in other parts of the United States, so that number is also grossly inflated for most people.

In reality doing 100,000 miles in just over 3 years is almost all highway miles and very easy on any vehicle-not exactly anything special.

It's nothing more than a fluff piece trying to tout the pseudo benefits of electric vehicles, and not doing it very well.

My younger brother works at Tesla near San Diego and he says they have a 350k mile taxi that comes through, Ill get pics and info next time he sees it.

Nice to see they are holding up mileage wise, another 3-5 years will give a more complete view of their overall reliability. They do have their benefits with maintenance and a lack of fluids. I think if these cars can run 15 years and 200k miles on their original battery backs and drive motors that would be a significant accomplishment for Tesla, and provide proof of concept for EV's replacing a large percentage of ICE's in the next decade or two.

Unfortunately, around here the Tesla would probably only last 10-15 years before corrosion rears its ugly head.

It's not necessarily the perforated fenders that destroys a car in these parts, but all the other corrosion that occurs in the car.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Unfortunately, around here the Tesla would probably only last 10-15 years before corrosion rears its ugly head.

It's not necessarily the perforated fenders that destroys a car in these parts, but all the other corrosion that occurs in the car.

Like rusted subframes, or control arm mounting points. Things that are either real expensive to fix, or in some cases, impossible to fix ...

IIRC, Tesla uses aluminum for their bodies. It's one thing for steel to rust and blister despite the OEMs using galvannealed steel. When Al corrodes, it tends to spread quicker but fail differently.

Most half-decent cars hold up just as well or better over a few years and 100K of use.
That this Tesla did really is news, since Tesla cars have developed a reputation for being rather fragile.
I'll note that the costs of owning and driving a conventional car are nowhere near what's claimed in the link you posted and there's also the capital cost of what's more a fast Accord than a real luxury vehicle.
Still, that this car held up as well as it did is a very hopeful sign for the brand.

I hope he went 100k without any issues. Although Tesla decided to use flash memory and a alot of data logging which is toasting the chips in many high mileage teslas leaving them unable to charge. I can't stand musks arrogance and the mediocre build quality, and yes i used to work for an independent dealership that sold electric and hybrid vehicles.
Tesla memory issues.

A 100k miles with no repairs, except that necessary from abuse. It is important to note that according the the timeline given in the article, those 100k miles were put on in less than 2 years. I believe there are a number of cars that could go 100k miles without repairs. I have almost 130k miles on my almost 7 year old Outback, and there have been no repairs. Preventative maintenance? Sure. A lot of maintenance in the form of oil changes, brake fluid changes, CVT fluid, diff fluid, brake pads, tires. A new battery. But no repair.

(Oops! I forgot about body work because deer seem to be attracted to my Outback. But still, no repairs related to reliability.)

I believe you could put 100k miles in only 2 years, and end up with no repairs on most any Toyota, except the trucks, most any Mazda, a Subaru, a Lexus, an Acura. And many others. Most cars built today are well built enough to go 100k miles with only regular maintenance.

I will admit that one real attraction to an electric car, to me at least, is the reduced maintenance. I love the idea of eliminating oil changes, diff fluid changes, tranny fluid changes. No more O2 sensors to ever replace. No cleaning the mass air flow sensor, or the throttle body. No air cleaner. I do think the author's estimate of savings is quite inflated. However, a lot of people get their oil changes more often than the manufacturer's recommendations, so I guess $1000 for oil changes may be fair if you use a 5k oci and take it to the dealer.

As much as I get great satisfaction from doing my own maintenance, I would be thrilled to have to do less of it.

Frankly, he is very lucky that the repairs he did confess to were inexpensive. From what I have read and seen, Tesla is not known for reasonable priced repairs.

Last edited:
This purpose of this post is to evaluate the Model 3; there is little data out there because the platform is all new.
I know most cars can hit 100K with good reliability. Heck, I am a Honda/Toyota guy I know all about long runners. And slant 6s back in the day...
The Consumer Reports reliability is more about quality issues, not reliability. A crooked fender gap is not reliability.
According to CR, Model 3 is #1 in their customer satisfaction survey.
I can tell you owners love 'em.

I am simply curious to see how these cars do. It is simply too early to tell.
I would say that 1st generation cars oftentimes have issues; Teslas are no exception.
And Tesla is a brand new car company to boot! Musk has said many times he has no car building experience.

I am also the owner of a '68 Corvette; some early ones had electrical issues and burned to the ground.
Luckily mine is a late production year model, much like the '69 which was a banner year.

Last edited:
Honestly i would expect every major car to make 100k miles trouble free if all the miles are done in 2 years. I bet you could do the same thing in an Audi A3.

Originally Posted by dareo
Honestly i would expect every major car to make 100k miles trouble free if all the miles are done in 2 years. I bet you could do the same thing in an Audi A3.

Agreed. And Audi has been manufacturing cars for well over 100 years; they have tons of experience.
They are beautiful cars.
But you could say the Tesla electric car is ahead of the Audi platform. Audi's range is about 200 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back