Pennzoil's Marketing Seems Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the marketing division at Pennzoil even knows what they are trying to sell anymore. Please see the 3 attached.

Screenshot_20191017-114202_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191017-114246_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191017-114321_Chrome.jpg

Well, not in Pennzoil's defense but as a side note: your top pic shows 0W20, the top right is unknown, and the bottom right shows 5W30 at the very bottom. So maybe the different weights have different results on the test in question? Certainly feasible that the add pack in different grades is not identical.

Here I thought you were going into the Pennzoil Extended Care, Pennzoil Start Stop Protection, Pennzoil Maximum Power and Pennzoil Hybrid fiasco. That says more about their marketing than an inconsistency in test results across different grades of oil, IMO.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Well, not in Pennzoil's defense but as a side note: your top pic shows 0W20, the top right is unknown, and the bottom right shows 5W30 at the very bottom. So maybe the different weights have different results on the test in question? Certainly feasible that the add pack in different grades is not identical.

Here I thought you were going into the Pennzoil Extended Care, Pennzoil Start Stop Protection, Pennzoil Maximum Power and Pennzoil Hybrid fiasco. That says more about their marketing than an inconsistency in test results across different grades of oil, IMO.

The PDS is latest from epc.shell.com

The second one is if you click on pennzoil Platinum on their website and the 3rd is under education/cleaner pistons for their website. The only one grade specific is the 0w-20 and I think there's an astrick at the bottom saying it was tested on 5w30.

It's Fake News!...‚

30, 45, 35%.. whatever. Not worth me losing sleep over nor worth me committing time to get to the bottom of this.

They do have a great line of oils that keep pistons exceptionally clean, but unfortunately for Shell/Pennzoil they are creating a mess within their oil portfolio. They spend too much time talking up GTL. I'm using their Rotella Gas Truck oil now though LOL.

Originally Posted by buster
They do have a great line of oils that keep pistons exceptionally clean, but unfortunately for Shell/Pennzoil they are creating a mess within their oil portfolio.

That's what Shell says but has there been any independent testing with other brands of oils that show this piston cleanliness?

All the brands tout their products. That's expected.

Originally Posted by PimTac
They do have a great line of oils that keep pistons exceptionally clean, but unfortunately for Shell/Pennzoil they are creating a mess within their oil portfolio.

That's what Shell says but has there been any independent testing with other brands of oils that show this piston cleanliness?

True I feel these companies have become loose with the comparison figures. However, you can't make stuff up either. Mobil remains the best in this area.

Originally Posted by PimTac

BINGO!
thumbsup2.gif

Wasn't there an egregious spelling mistake a couple of weeks ago too - like large bold lettering at the top of a paragraph? My guess is this crap is written by a disgruntled college graduate making $20K per year with a degree in writing from an ivy league school who knows nothing about oil, he/she is just trying to get out of their parent's house and they do this while writing their first book.

I'm just waiting see how all this new offerings from Pennzoil are going to appear on the racks at the retail level.

Without pushing another brand out the door, the places I shop don't have rack space.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'm just waiting see how all this new offerings from Pennzoil are going to appear on the racks at the retail level.

Without pushing another brand out the door, the places I shop don't have rack space.

They don't necessarily have to put it in stores to be successful. Amazon can attest to this.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

They don't necessarily have to put it in stores to be successful. Amazon can attest to this.

Everybody doesn't order from Amazon
I bet the majority are just like me and go to Walmart or AZ and buy their oil and filters.

There's not a single oil company in America that became successful waiting on Amazon

Last edited:

I bet the majority are just like me and go to Walmart or AZ and buy their oil and filters. Wrong, it's not a "majority"... the split is apprx 50/50 between online and brick and mortar for DIY'ers. In fact, the majority of non e-commerce lube sales are at DIFM places like Jiffy Lube (Pennzoil) and VIOC. Your AutoZone chain...that accounts for a relatively small % of lube sales. Look it up..... (still want to place that "bet"...‚)

There's not a single oil company in America that became successful waiting on Amazon - depends on how one defines successful. Amazon wouldn't be selling Amazon Basics at a premium over it's cousin Supertech, if it weren't profitable. And given 50% of oil sales are made online and Amazon accounts for apprx 40% of e-commerce here in the States, it's no mystery it's still being marketed by Amazon....

Last edited:

I bet the majority are just like me and go to Walmart or AZ and buy their oil and filters. Wrong, it's not a "majority"... the split is apprx 50/50 between online and brick and mortar for DIY'ers. In fact, the majority of non e-commerce lube sales are at DIFM places like Jiffy Lube (Pennzoil) and VIOC. Your AutoZone chain...that accounts for a relatively small % of lube sales. Look it up..... (still want to place that "bet"...‚)

There's not a single oil company in America that became successful waiting on Amazon - depends on how one defines successful. Amazon wouldn't be selling Amazon Basics at a premium over it's cousin Supertech, if it weren't profitable. And given 50% of oil sales are made online and Amazon accounts for apprx 40% of e-commerce here in the States, it's no mystery it's still being marketed by Amazon....

Lots of mouth and no data
Just your opinion which means nothing
Rural America where I live still walk up and purchase 90% of what they need and don't wait for Amazon
Apparently you live in a concrete world where everything is delivered to your door step

Lots of mouth and no data
Just your opinion which means nothing
Rural America where I live still walk up and purchase 90% of what they need and don't wait for Amazon
Apparently you live in a concrete world where everything is delivered to your door step

Lol...I live in the eastern half of MA (Boston side)...lots of trees and grass here and not too much concrete but with the closest Walmart is 20 mins away and it has a very limited selection on the shelf and with better prices much of the time it seems like Amazon makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back