diesel oil in gasoline engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Here is a basic paper on different types of catalyst poisoning, Older but it still seems legit:

Paper

Good readðŸ‘..so while there's technically a coating, it's more the clogging of flow that not only can elevate temps (melt down) but reduce efficiency of reducing HC's in the exhaust stream. (did I word that right?...‚)

Has anyone ever cleaned one - is it worth it? I know they can be a royal PITA to get off..I helped a friend get his off to install cat bypass... that thing was heat welded onto the exhaust.

Last edited:
Attached screenshots of the most relevant part of the paper. It basically says in a vehicle tested over 50k miles with a normal amount of oil consumption, emissions were not affected. But with extreme oil consumption especially under low temperature use (catalyst not warmed up enough to burn off) damage to catalyst was extensive. That's how I read it anyway.

This is also from 1990 so we can assume some improvements in catalyst durability and "normal oil consumption" since then.

Screenshot_20191007-194954.png

Screenshot_20191007-195101.png

Two Chevy impalas and one Ford Explorer. Cracked the exhaust manifold on the explorer and second impala as well. We never blow motors, it is a trade off. These cars go from being cold, sitting in a northern temperature to being floored for50 plus miles with zero warm up. 100 mile responses occur often. Easy decision, Mobil oils are bought by the 55 gallon drum and wix filters.

Also I have a personal explorer and an f150 ecobost 2.7 and would not run a 5-40 in either one. My work explorer knocks/ is noisy at normal temps. That is the trade off for having an oil that is thick enough for the long runs. I run m1 0w30 in my explorer and m1 5w30 AP in the ecoboost with complete satisfaction.

Newer engines have the first cat water cooled/heated. ( It literally is snubbed up the the block on my Tacoma)Making for a more stable and quickly operating converter. So design has Improved.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Newer engines have the first cat water cooled/heated. ( It literally is snubbed up the the block on my Tacoma)Making for a more stable and quickly operating converter. So design has Improved.

So in that case it would be more intuitive for vehicles that burn oil? Wouldn't rapid heating would provide a quicker entrance into the threshold to burn oil off?

I suppose that would be beneficial for the companies producing new cars that burn oil out of factory.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spj
Also I have a personal explorer and an f150 ecobost 2.7 and would not run a 5-40 in either one. My work explorer knocks/ is noisy at normal temps. That is the trade off for having an oil that is thick enough for the long runs. I run m1 0w30 in my explorer and m1 5w30 AP in the ecoboost with complete satisfaction.

What??

Diesel oils turn low rpms and have higher levels of soot where as gas engines run higher rpms and have to deal more with acidic contamination from combustion by-products. More defoamants, AO's and acid neutralizing additives are needed. The friction modification is also sometimes different.

Diesel oil can also foam up pretty bad I. High rpms applications I believe. ??

Diesel engines with high load and low rpm may need an oil with a higher HT/HS and high PV coefficient where a aeration isn't much of a concern.

You are correct, buster.

Internally, Diesel engines run in an entirely different environment than petrol engines and produce entirely different combustion byproducts (soot, etc.).

Originally Posted by buster
Diesel oils turn low rpms and have higher levels of soot where as gas engines run higher rpms and have to deal more with acidic contamination from combustion by-products. More defoamants, AO's and acid neutralizing additives are needed. The friction modification is also sometimes different.

Diesel engines with high load and low rpm may need an oil with a higher HT/HS and high PV coefficient where a aeration isn't much of a concern.

This was one of my doubts on running HDEO on my car. But since it's still stock and i hardly reach 5600 RPM, i decided to use it anyway. Maybe after i start doing some mods, should rethink my oil choice? But since people are having good results running HDEO on bikes and subarus, that should not be a problem.

I am also curious on the difference each oil has, to be able to deal with different fuels. Given that i use a diesel oil on my ethanol car....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
You are correct, buster.

Internally, Diesel engines run in an entirely different environment than petrol engines and produce entirely different combustion byproducts (soot, etc.).

I don't know difference in operating rpm range is there with GDI(soot) and tall gearing low rpm operation the norm in these vehicles.

You are correct, buster.

I don't know difference in operating rpm range is there with GDI(soot) and tall gearing low rpm operation the norm in these vehicles.

The difference is in the fuel used for combustion.

You are correct, buster.

In my 6.0 PSD it is governed at 3600 rpms, it never goes over that, it typically cruises at around 2000 rpms doing 70 mph. On the other hand the wife's 2017 Escape with a 2.0 ecoboost will see, on hard acceleration, around 5-6k rpms and typically runs about 1200 rpms at 70 mph. I'd say the foaming would be the most severe for the 10 or so seconds it may see redline.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
You are correct, buster.

In my 6.0 PSD it is governed at 3600 rpms, it never goes over that, it typically cruises at around 2000 rpms doing 70 mph. On the other hand the wife's 2017 Escape with a 2.0 ecoboost will see, on hard acceleration, around 5-6k rpms and typically runs about 1200 rpms at 70 mph. I'd say the foaming would be the most severe for the 10 or so seconds it may see redline.

Exactly! a 10 second run at 5-6k rpm isn't going to create any pervasive foam with a HDEO. And then the engine reverts to the low rpm high torque operation.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
You are correct, buster.

Exactly! a 10 second run at 5-6k rpm isn't going to create any pervasive foam with a HDEO. And then the engine reverts to the low rpm high torque operation.

What
Originally Posted by spj

What??

spj said:

What??[/quote

What?

All this doubting about using HEDO in a gasser is pure hogwash...a mixed fleet ck4/sn oil is completely safe to use in 99% of all vehicles. RPMs and foaming? C'mon guys!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeoStrop
Originally Posted by buster

This was one of my doubts on running HDEO on my car. But since it's still stock and i hardly reach 5600 RPM, i decided to use it anyway. Maybe after i start doing some mods, should rethink my oil choice? But since people are having good results running HDEO on bikes and subarus, that should not be a problem.

I am also curious on the difference each oil has, to be able to deal with different fuels. Given that i use a diesel oil on my ethanol car....

Real world experience has shown HDEO does just fine in high revving engines, motorcycles for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back