Battery Change Due!??

Hi there;

Our 16 CRV seemingly is due for battery change first time. On two occasions just by running accessories mode the battery would not start the car. I was at Costco today and noticed they sell Interstate batteries with 3 year warranty. I was quoted $75 which is very attractive price so I was wondering how good these are so if anyone would chime on it

Also, with these new cars that are loaded with electronics I assume the car need some back up DC source that will keep all electronic in manufacturing settings. My Mazda is an old school ride so changing battery on it is a breeze unlike on the newer cars perhaps. So what back up source do you use and do I need one if I would replace the battery on my own

I thank you for your help

Look into if you can fit a larger battery in your tray. Many hondas have these little joke batteries from the factory so they can fit in a lower EPA weight class.

You can save your clock settings with one of these. Better than the cigarette lighter because there's a +12V pin that's hot when off.

I thank you guys!

Yes the battery is just like the one on a sit down lawn mover you'll find at THD
laugh.gif

And my main concern is to keep OLM and infotainment settings intact in the process

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I change all of my own batteries. I always have a beat up dead battery to bring in so you don't have to pay the core charge which adds about $18 to the price. Otherwise you have to pay the full price then return the old battery to Costco to get refunded the core charge which is a hassle.

Sam's club unlike Costco will install the new battery for you at no charge.

Nothing special about Interstate. Find a coupon and get a genuine Honda battery replacement with 3 year full warranty and 100 month prorated for another $20 or $30.

I've always just pulled out the old battery and put in a new one. That seems to have worked out fine. The memory (such as it is) seems to have remained intact.

What am I missing?

Looks like your OEM battery was made by JCI (angled reservoir caps). Surprised it only lasted 3 years, though.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I've always just pulled out the old battery and put in a new one. That seems to have worked out fine. The memory (such as it is) seems to have remained intact.

What am I missing?

You didn't have the radio on your Accord lock you out? I had to take the battery out of a friend's 05 Accord EX-L and then we had to figure out where the radio code was because it was locked.

What am I missing?

Depends.

The battery went out on my Dakota a couple of years ago and it was a straightforward replacement, until I found out that my radio was inoperative. Not locked out by a security code, but completely dead. Apparently there's an issue with a defective transistor that doesn't rear its ugly head until you cut power to the unit.

Otherwise, as mentioned, security code lockouts and loss of settings.

OLM on Hondas is a value stored in the PCM's NVRAM so no worries about wiping that out. The infotainment is minor.

Whatever battery you get, remember to do the idle learn - start the engine and let it idle until the fans cycle on. The rest of the OBD-II monitors will cycle as you drive - Honda has a trick if the CEL blinks 5 times after the light test with the engine off you're not ready for a emissions check.

It looks like an intelligent battery sensor on the negative post in the pic. There may be some sort of relearn procedure. Chryslers take 3-5 drive cycles with at least 8 hours of engine off between restarts.

I thank you guys for all your prompt answers!

i was thinking that newer cars due to ever growing dependency on electronics and it's features. they‘ll need some kind a back up power source so that all it's features/settings stay intact; however, if I really do not need one then it is just fine even better because I can do the battery replacement on my own without relying on some professional assistance at AutoZone for example

If you google larger battery upgrade CRV, you can find a tutorial. Its super easy. The battery tray cost about $10 straight from Honda, then you can use the V6 battery which is much larger, about 50% larger and should last longer with more amperage. Plus the bigger battery might be cheaper, as the 51R size Honda batteries are usually over $100 easy. You can use a group 24 battery, which you can get for $49 at Walmart.

Originally Posted by Miller88

What am I missing?

You didn't have the radio on your Accord lock you out? I had to take the battery out of a friend's 05 Accord EX-L and then we had to figure out where the radio code was because it was locked.

I'm pretty sure I replaced this battery once already and I don't remember there being any problems. The clock would need to be reset of course but it's never on the right time anyway (I need to look it up in the manual to change it, and I don't really care what time it shows). And we only listen to one station on the radio so finding it again wouldn't be a hardship.

I suppose I'd lose some fine tuning of the "memory" but I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing.

And I know the radio code if I had to use it. But I'd be interested in your experience re-entering the radio code. Is that all you had to do?

Costco batteries are good. the warranty is excellent. when you replace it you can buy a plug that plugs in to the obd port and keeps power in the system. they are less than 10 from Amazon. use a battery charger or pack as power.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Nothing special about Interstate. Find a coupon and get a genuine Honda battery replacement with 3 year full warranty and 100 month prorated for another $20 or $30.

Right, Interstate ain't nuthin' great anymore. Costco has a good price, but don't expect that Interstate to be lasting as long as your old Chevy.

I would certainly have the battery tested before you buy a new one. Have you checked the battery acid level under the caps? If any plate is exposed then time for a new battery.

I would go for a Deka/East Penn AGM as my first choice. My second choice would be a Deka/EastPenn flooded cell battery (some Walmart MAxx, need to check the battery serial to begin with "EP". If I could not find either of those, then an Interstate which is still a very good battery.

Get the battery issue resolved before winter.

Back