Oil change on a 2020 Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was at the dealers in 05-06 BMW came out with the no dipstick, engine oil quality/quantity sensor, they were failing in the low position. People were putting 3-4 gallons in the cars and blowing the motors. Its extremely annoying when they wont give you a countdown to know how longs left to measure, it just says no information available. At least now theres a little gauge and they raise the idle so you know what the counts at. Also, if the car is cold, Porsche will count down from 60 minutes to do a measurement, so most times we go a splash under. This tech also has never worked on a cartridge, he probably left a half quart of used oil by not unscrewing the filter first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
When I was at the dealers in 05-06 BMW came out with the no dipstick, engine oil quality/quantity sensor, they were failing in the low position. People were putting 3-4 gallons in the cars and blowing the motors. Its extremely annoying when they wont give you a countdown to know how longs left to measure, it just says no information available. At least now theres a little gauge and they raise the idle so you know what the counts at. Also, if the car is cold, Porsche will count down from 60 minutes to do a measurement, so most times we go a splash under. This tech also has never worked on a cartridge, he probably left a half quart of used oil by not unscrewing the filter first.

BMW updated their process (It's featured in this Supra oil change vid btw) a few years ago with the count down. The new process also speeds up the idle which IIRC back in the N52 days it did not.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I thought oil dipsticks were a $50 option
It was only optional when BMW provided the provisions to mount one. After going to "no dipstick from the factory" for several years, BMW eliminated the provisions to mount one. Mercedes gives you the dipstick tube with a plug in it and you only have to purchase/install the dipstick itself.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I thought oil dipsticks were a $50 option
It was only optional when BMW provided the provisions to mount one. After going to "no dipstick from the factory" for several years, BMW eliminated the provisions to mount one. Mercedes gives you the dipstick tube with a plug in it and you only have to purchase/install the dipstick itself.

It was never an option with BMW. There are no aftermarket solutions either.

...just like the Toyota 86 GT is made by Subaru, although it was jointly designed and engineered. This trend has been around awhile and will going continue forever. I still don't like it but I'm getting used to it.
No dipstick = bad idea. I guess they figure the computer and dash display will never, ever fail.

What about the guy saying it sounds like a diesel ...³
It's was louder at idle than I would have thought for a BMW/Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back