Goodyear and Cooper Merger??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How huge ? They have done $80 or so many times … ?
Got my last set at DT and they are working well and holding tread depth

Originally Posted by 4WD
How huge ? They have done $80 or so many times … ?
Got my last set at DT and they are working well and holding tread depth

At Mr. Tire $300 rebate for GT WeatherReady only and must use Mr. Tire credit card. Promo date : Oct 7 to 21 .

$300 WeatherReady Oct 7-21

Last edited:
Ha ha ha, under pressure…

Seems like the way of things nowadays, companies merging into larger and larger companies.

Well, several foreign companies have entered the US market … so M&A seems natural …
Both of these companies sell lots of LT's where I live … really like the pattern on the ST Maxx and Duratrac …

I can see why both are struggling....

I have Goodyear Assurance on my Cobalt now (what DT had in stock after my blowout) are very ho hum...traction is iffy, and I'm not impressed with them in the rain either. Not so sure about the snow....

Before those I had Cooper CS5s. While they were great to start, they went downhill real fast after the wear starting kicking in. I mean the Sumitomos before those were not as good- but held up much better, even toward the end.

I just feel they no longer have any standout products........

Originally Posted by daves87rs

I have Goodyear Assurance on my Cobalt now (what DT had in stock after my blowout) are very ho hum...traction is iffy, and I'm not impressed with them in the rain either. Not so sure about the snow....

Before those I had Cooper CS5s. While they were great to start, they went downhill real fast after the wear starting kicking in. I mean the Sumitomos before those were not as good- but held up much better, even toward the end.

Which Assurance model? There are multiple types.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525

Pretty sure it is the regular edition from Discount Tire....

Goodyear stock has lost 58 percent of its value in the last three years. Cooper stock is down 21 percent from a year ago. The stock market as a whole has been booming for three years. They can't blame it on the economy either, the economy is good. Both companies are getting outcompeted. Cooper in particular has very dated designs. They rely on making 3rd party branded store brand tires for Pep Boys and the like. Tires sold as Cooper brand are no longer cheap either. Cooper has also been plagued by recalls. They used to sell a good tire at a fair price. They are now selling a passable tire, at a high price. That is no bargain and people are looking elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525

Pretty sure it is the regular edition from Discount Tire....

Must be a DT version of Assurance. Tirerack now only sells only two Assurance types: WeatherReady and ComforTred Touring

Last edited:
I have no use for Goodyear after learning about their G159 tire. A tire allegedly made for lower speed local delivery trucks but later marketed for motorhomes. with many alleged failures.

….Must be a DT version of Assurance....
DT carries/sells the GY Assurance- A/S, FuelMax, MaxLife, Weatheready and ComforTred Touring. 'With the possible exception of the A/S none of those are a made for DT tire. The A/S is the lowest priced version. Perhaps that is one referenced as "regular edition". The A/S appears identical to the GY named All Season.

I'm currently running an OE Assurance FuelMax tire with ~22k miles. It's been an ok tire, no complaints. Treadwear decent thus far. I'm a conservative driver.

I got Cooper HTPs on a Tacoma, that is tire made for DT. They've been a very good tire.

Depending on rebates available at time, I'd definitely consider a GY tire in the future. ComfortTred and WeatherReady in particular.

It seems like Goodyear's higher-end tires are good but not competitive against Michelin/Conti/Pirelli. They lost a good bit of OEM business as both Kumho and Hankook have successfully courted not just Goodyear's traditional customers(Ford, GM, FCA, Toyota) but they also picked up a lot of OEM business from the Europeans too. Goodyear's OEM and cheaper tires are just meh, I'm shocked the Eagle RS-A is being made still as a cop car tire. My parents have them on their car and I'm not happy with them. I rank Goodyear above Bridgestone but below Yokohama, the Koreans and General.

Goodyear also can't compete in China and they don't have ties to Sumitomo Rubber(Dunlop) any more. Cheap Chinese tires are still flooding the market, although the Obama White House did slap a tariff on bus/truck tires from China and Goodyear supposedly owns a stake in Double Coin.

I can smell asset buyout - Goodyear and Cooper merge, private equity firm takes over.

Yeah, EAGLE RS-A are junk I've had them on two Vics. My third Vic had something else and it was fine.

Maybe Goodyear has some good tires, but me and everyone who has owned a truck with Wranglers will gladly pay more to buy any other brand. I keep hearing here not to judge a tire company by OEM tires... but that warning is not a common sentiment. Perhaps the chickens have come home to roost for this big maker of schlock OEM tires.

If a merger happens, expect shutdowns, layoffs and more outsourcing.

Cooper I think, used to market a brand for indie or small chain tire dealers called Multi-Mile. I bought a set of them for my ‘97 Expedition which ate tires, I had OEM BF Goodrich (stank) then Toyo Geolander (so disappointing especially considering what I paid) and finally Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX which were really good tires, very good in snow and lasted very long time. Way over 60,000 when I sold the truck. For a no name tire they were great. It got to the point OK these tires don't owe me anything and I was still happy.

Can anyone confirm they were Cooper tires?

Cooper also has contracts with Big O, Pep Boys and Hercules Tires. However, since Big O's parent company which is TBC Brands(and they also bought out Midas and I think Speed-E Oil Change) which is part controlled by Sumitomo and Michelin if anything happens to Cooper I would think that either Sumitomo Rubber or Michelin would get the non-Chinese tire contracts from Big O and make them at the former's plants in Thailand/Indonesia/China or the latter's BFGoodrich plants.

Pep Boys' Futura tires are also Coopers, but given that Carl Icahn runs the show there, who knows?

https://www.tirebusiness.com/articl...helin-tbc-combining-wholesale-businesses

Meant to say, Toyo Open Country A/T were a big disappointment.

Originally Posted by wdn
Meant to say, Toyo Open Country A/T were a big disappointment.

Myself and two coworkers tried them … once each.
Ride like bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back