Anyone with a seasonal campsite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend my wife and I signed up for a seasonal campsite for next year to have our own site at a campground in west-central Indiana. We'd always been weekend warriors doing mainly state parks. However, in recent years it seems more difficult to juggle work schedules to get a Friday off at the same time so we could make a 3 day weekend out if it. I wasn't too keen on this seasonal idea at first, but I'm more than onboard with it and wish we could have it out there right now. It should save us a ton in fuel since we can jump in her Corolla Fridays after work (at 38mpg) instead of hauling the trailer somewhere with my Yukon (at 10mpg) and head to the campground. We paid an extra $150 to be able to have it on a different site out there this winter until the current occupants of our future site move off it by March. But the site for the year will be $1700 plus electric. It's a decent sized site that backs up to a creek and isn't too close to the neighbor on the right. I've already got the itch to buy a good cart, since apparently that's an unwritten rule for seasonals. Any tips for any of you with a seasonal site? Our site is the one below with the Sunset Trail on it. Their deck and shed will go with them since they're relocating within the park.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Spartanfool
Turkey Run???

No, this is a privately owned campground in Parke County. I don't think state parks have seasonal sites, unless you're a camp host.

Last edited:
We've been at a seasonal site for 9 or 10 years. Its a small campground, 24 sites all seasonal. All sites are 1/4 acre or bigger. Its alot of fun. We all get along pretty good, have parties or whatever, bags tournaments, big cookouts or pot luck type stuff. Our campground is on the ATV trails, so we have group rides sometimes, pretty much everyone has an ATV/UTV. Not really into the golf cart thing by us. Bar/restaurant on site. River at one end of property. I keep my camper there year round. On our second camper at that campground.

Couple coworkers have had them, I think they tried to go up a few times over the winter, just to check in on things. Make sure no rodents got in, no trees sitting on the camper, etc. Which can be problematic as I don't think the park was plowed in the winter, and then in spring it might be muddy. That'd be the concerns I'd have, being able to check in periodically.

Some dear friends of mine grew up in a family with seasonal camping. They had a trailer there (about 100 miles away) and were there every weekend for many decades. They enjoyed it immensely.

We've had a seasonal site now for 14 years in our current spot plus 10 at another and we love it. Not really sure what advice to offer you other than to say crawl under your rig and fill/check any holes/penetrations and make sure they are completely sealed off for rodents.

Steel wool and some silicone work great for keeping mice out and remember, they only need a hole the size of a dime to enter. When winterizing, make sure you pump adequate amount of RV antifreeze through your pipes/system.

I also, just in case, spread a bunch of Bounce sheets throughout our trailer on final close up. Not sure if this really helps but for 24 yrs now not once have we had mice or other varmint issues where some of our neighbors/friends have.

Enjoy. Camping and everything associated with it is a lot of fun!
cheers3.gif

IMG_0375 (Medium).JPG

WP_20150821_19_27_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20170728_19_52_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20170728_19_54_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20170728_19_56_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20180709_14_47_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20190705_21_21_13_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20190920_19_43_55_Pro.jpg

Originally Posted by irv
We've had a seasonal site now for 14 years in our current spot plus 10 at another and we love it. Not really sure what advice to offer you other than to say crawl under your rig and fill/check any holes/penetrations and make sure they are completely sealed off for rodents.

Steel wool and some silicone work great for keeping mice out and remember, they only need a hole the size of a dime to enter. When winterizing, make sure you pump adequate amount of RV antifreeze through your pipes/system.

I also, just in case, spread a bunch of Bounce sheets throughout our trailer on final close up. Not sure if this really helps but for 24 yrs now not once have we had mice or other varmint issues where some of our neighbors/friends have.

Enjoy. Camping and everything associated with it is a lot of fun!
cheers3.gif

Beautiful site! The critter thing is a concern we've had ours docked next to our house and have never had a mouse problem, but there are a few neighbor cats that patrol the court, so I believe they take care of the mice. I've also heard Of people use Irish Spring and spread around, but I've also heard they eat it, and laugh at you. But can't wait to get our site and having a place to go without all the "work".

Not sure what there is that's camping about that. When I think of camping, I think solitude, not another soul (or object) audible, visible, or smell-able. Then again I'm technically a backpacker, carry in everything I need on a trail and then randomly stop and make camp as the sun sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back