Oil change on a 2020 Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was interesting. A Toyota with a BMW engine. The oil filter is pretty big but what is with no dip stick?

BMW has not had an oil dipstick for several years, it is one of the reasons that I would never buy another one. Frankly, I'm surprised that Toyota let them get away with this. For the record, if Toyota (or any other manufacturer) removed the dipstick from any of their other models, and didn't offer the option of installing one (like Mercedes does and BMW did when they first eliminated them), I wouldn't buy that vehicle from them. Call me old school, but I WANT a dipstick!

I guess no dipstick means no oil extractor/evacuator use option available either? That's often considered one of the benefits of engine with top mounted cartridge filter. Audi an example.

Allegedly the dipstick is coming back only because the technicians have been complaining about how the electric measurement adds time to an oil change. Only took them over a decade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Allegedly the dipstick is coming back only because the technicians have been complaining about how the electric measurement adds time to an oil change. Only took them over a decade.

Yeah, I heard that too.

Originally Posted by Rat407
... A Toyota with a BMW engine...

it's more like a BMW with some Toyota badges honestly...
there's about as much Toyota in the new Supra's as there is Pontiac in my buddy's Vibe..

Originally Posted by earlyre
there's about as much Toyota in the new Supra's as there is Pontiac in my buddy's Vibe..

Nice analogy!
thumbsup2.gif

That's exactly what it is. I do think that the in-dash / infotainment software is done by Toyota though but could be wrong about that. I thought I saw a review that showed it was different enough vs just swapping start-up logos and what not.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

That was my gripe when I was a porter at a BMW dealer too. What should have been a quick in-check-dipstick-fill-out turned into a 5-10 minute ordeal. Not bad when you only have one or two cars to deal with but a whole service lane full of cars....ugh.

Last edited:
I would have changed the oil filter 1st.
This would allow any dirty oil held in the housing
to drain into the pan and out with the old oil.

I made a similar comment on a Yahoo Supra article...something like "I can put Ferrari badges on my 4Runner, but that doesn't make it one!". Got a few "thumbs down" even though I'm a Toyota owner. lol

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Why would anyone buy this instead of the Z4?

Cheaper, trackable (Not all tracks allow convertibles), de-tuned for better reliability (Toyota does not like to play in the 100hp/liter sandbox for the mass market cars and this model is just a tickle over that)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back