Looking for aftershave advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently while shopping at Whole Foods, I came across Weleda's After Shave Balm. It smelled amazing and was on sale.
Not only that but after reading the online reviews, I was really hooked!
Balm

Now I'm not a facial hair person so moustache's, goatee's, beards etc are all off limits for me. When I shave twice weekly everything comes off.
I do not get ingrown hairs, razor bumps, razor burns, cuts etc.
Usually after I shave, all I use is a small piece of organic cocoa butter. It melts as I rub it on my face, leaving it as smoother as a baby's bottom (at least until the stubble starts growing again).

My question is, should I purchase this aftershave? I'm a little weary as it's first two ingredients are water, then alcohol which could lead to unwanted/unnecessary drying of the skin.
Or should I stick with my cocoa butter?

If you like Weleda's fragrance, buy it but only use it once in awhile. Your face will know.
I use a lotion after I shave and then my favorite cologne in small dabs just for the aroma.

Why put on anything that makes you smell? Trying to cover up BO?

Personally I think you should leave the perfumes to the ladies.

Shower, then shave, Gave up on lotions and deodorants in 20s. I smoked then, so when you smelled me , I was tobacco scented. Don't have tats or jewelry, used a pocket watch. Exclusive of ornamentation
grin2.gif

Clubman Pinaud. Old school barbershop lotion smell. Leaves your skin soft, unlike the reptile skin sensation you get with the modern-deodorant-smelling ones.

I always liked the scent of Old Spice. I'm an old man and it's somehow fitting. I probably smell like a rotten fossil to the young. But it's better than the alternative....

I mix the Old Spice after shave in with my shaving cream. The alcohol makes for a smoother shave and it smells nice while shaving. Rinsing it later kills any excessive scent, leaving just a trace.

Last edited:
Stick with the cocoa butter. Not only does alcohol dry out your skin like you stated, it burns the razor cuts like a mofo.

Originally Posted by Pew
Stick with the cocoa butter. Not only does alcohol dry out your skin like you stated, it burns the razor cuts like a mofo.

Yes, that is its purpose. To sanitize the razor cuts.

I use Dove post shave balm on my face and head. Cologne on my chest.

I'll pick up some Weleda's if I see it. Always nice to have variety.

The best stuff was Hai Karate. I don't think they make it anymore.

Isopropyl alcohol is cheap. Wakes you up as well.

The Art Of Shaving has a very good after shave balm, I use it, but not every day. It is not cheap and is best bought online. Nivea after shave balm is very good too, has a nice clean scent and is about $6.00 a bottle at the grocery store. I found that the 5 blade razors irritated my face more than anything else. I switched to the 3 blade Walmart brand with Gillette shave gel and have a lot less irritation.

I don't think you need aftershave. I haven't used it in about 50 years and have never had a problem.

Deodorant yes, aftershave no.

For those of you who think you don't need deodorant, well, yes you do. When I was a GP, that was one of the most awkward office visits. Talking to people about needing deodorant, a visit that was often instigated by significant others who didn't want to bring up the issue. And body odour has nothing to do with whether or not you're clean; you can bath daily and still have noticeable body odour. So shower and put on some deodorant!

I use C.O Bigelow shaving cream in the metal tube that I buy from Bath and Body Works. It is the best I've found and it lubricates my shave very well. I use a double edge razor with the very cheapest blades that I get at the dollar store for $1 for a 5 pack. I generally get 5 shaves out of each blade. After my shave I use a lotion on my face that has an SPF value of 30 such as CeraVe AM facial moisturizing lotion, Cremo aftershave lotion and sometimes just plain old CeraVe moisturizing lotion (no SPF).

I love the Clubman Pinaud scent but as I've aged my skin has become more dry and requires a lotion rather than an alcohol based aftershave. I use colognes for the nice fragrance and sillage.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Why put on anything that makes you smell? Trying to cover up BO?

Personally I think you should leave the perfumes to the ladies.

Has nothing to do with covering up foul odor. Some men (and women for that matter) like the smell of aftershaves. As with most things, to each their own.

OP should try it. Just because it has alcohol in it, doesn't mean that it's going dry your skin.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Pew

Yes, that is its purpose. To sanitize the razor cuts.

I use Dove post shave balm on my face and head. Cologne on my chest.

I'll pick up some Weleda's if I see it. Always nice to have variety.

Yea, it's the same thing when barbers use the straight blade. I've never had an infection but I can see why people do use it.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Clubman Pinaud. Old school barbershop lotion smell. Leaves your skin soft, unlike the reptile skin sensation you get with the modern-deodorant-smelling ones.

This, or Clubman Special Reserve, which is fairly strong stuff -- sort of a leather/tobacco vibe. The stuff is dark in color like a dark rum.

Gillette "Cool Wave" after shave has been my favorite lately, nice masculine smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back