Why does my engine feel so much smoother on mineral than it does on synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used semi-synthetic and full synthetic for about 7 oil changes in my car but it doesn't feel smooth and actually feels much worse than mineral it makes the revs feel rough like it has sand mixed in if that makes sense. Just now I switched back to a good quality mineral and i can easily notice a big difference the engines revs don't feel rough and feels smooth my car has 123,000 miles.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Its all in your head...

How is it in my head when I can notice a physical difference in how smooth the engine feels? it isn't just "i think it feels smoother" it DOES feel smoother.

I noticed that in my 09 altima when I ran shell oil from menards. It actually consumed less as well. If I hadn't bought a gazillion jugs of synthetic for a dollar something a quart, I'd run that stuff all the time. My wife rebadged Chrysler/VW van was smoother on shell as well.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I noticed that in my 09 altima when I ran shell oil from menards. It actually consumed less as well. If I hadn't bought a gazillion jugs of synthetic for a dollar something a quart, I'd run that stuff all the time. My wife rebadged Chrysler/VW van was smoother on shell as well.

Funny cause this oil I just put in is shell too and actually first time using shell so far it's the best oil i've ever used.

Originally Posted by Kira
Year, make, model, engine...please.

I believe you Dunkaroo, I believe you.

Car is a Holden Vx Berlina series II v6 Ecotec engine.

I noticed when I drink Grey Goose at $40 a bottle I am much more cantankerous than when I drink Sam's Choice for $15 a bottle. That $25 difference makes me run rough.

Since this is the first time you used mineral oil in 7 changes, you haven't established a pattern. It may well be that your engine has a problem that is causing the oil to become contaminated early (internal coolant leak, perhaps), and a change with ANY oil would improve the smoothness. Report back after your NEXT oil change (with mineral oil) to see if there is the same difference.

That was last w
Originally Posted by Nitronoise
Just as an FYI menards has formula shell on sale this week @ 1.99 a quart,,,, I may have to run over and get some for my daughters tarus

My menards had it last week not this one, unfortunately I was in Tennessee and couldn't get there in time. Oh well, I've got way more oil than I need right now but I agree it's great stuff for $1.99

Most synthetics use titanium as a anti wear additive. Those tiny bits of titanium metal will contribute to roughness.

Originally Posted by Dunkaroo
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Its all in your head...

How is it in my head when I can notice a physical difference in how smooth the engine feels? it isn't just "i think it feels smoother" it DOES feel smoother.

Because this observation is an n=1 AND completely subjective AND if you are using the same viscosity there is no real physical basis for mineral oil vs synthetic oil being significantly different enough to cause the difference you claim you notice. Super smooth vs it feels like there's "sand" in the oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dunkaroo
I have used semi-synthetic and full synthetic for about 7 oil changes in my car but it doesn't feel smooth and actually feels much worse than mineral it makes the revs feel rough like it has sand mixed in if that makes sense. Just now I switched back to a good quality mineral and i can easily notice a big difference the engines revs don't feel rough and feels smooth my car has 123,000 miles.

Don't listen to the naysayers. If you feel it you feel it. Only the good mechanics have this talent.

Just be aware that if you install a high detergent LL oil that it may take many hundreds of miles before it finishes it package "change over" and smooths out. The high DP load of fresh oil can "loose the hounds of hades" as it gets to work.

In the past Certain group III are questionable lubricants due to poor FS and poor inherent lubricity as many Synthetic oils Stateside are not really synthetic but marketed as such. Fuji H.M. had an internal memo well over a decade ago that cautioned about using the top brand of synthetic oil (I will not mention the brand) as it didn't resolve small motions in the valvetrain due to some molecular characteristic along with other engine performance and reliability issues. This was relayed to me by the Dealer Service Manager at the time.

Not as base oils have the same personality, defined only by VI and KV100. That's like saying, I love my GF because she is 5'7" and 130 lbs.

Just don't be fooled by clogged injectors or a temporarily stuck rings. Sometimes these things fall co-incident with and oil changover.

Poor fuel is the #1 cause of poor running in my book.

-Ken

Last edited:
OP don't be swayed by any arguments. If you like the 'feel' ,go with it. Modern engines and oils are so good, that oil related failures are rare. There are practically no 'bad' oils out there. Perceived differences keep this forum going noisily along
grin2.gif

A few years ago, I switched back and forth in more basic engines and noticed nothing … but as long as that oil meets the specs, all good. In my current fleet … some of the entry level conventional lubes will not.
(0w20 engines and a turbo engine)

All the semantics of real synthetic aside … oil gets tested for OEM approvals …
and what we call synthetic passes many tests.

I think KV100 will impact more the "smoothness" of the engine than mineral vs synthetic.

Moly content could also quiet down an engine.

So much more factors that could effect that than just mineral vs synth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back