Honda CVT and 6AT fluid replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried using an extractor through the fill port on either a CVT or the 6AT? Reason why I'm asking is that I've been reading a lot that some have had problems getting the correct CVT fluid level on the CRV's because there is no dipstick. On the CRV, you drain, fill, run through the gears, then take off the drain plug and let whatever comes out, come out, then close the drain plug and good to go. But there are variables...temperature, levelness, now long it sits in gear etc. etc. Also, as some know, Honda doesn't use a filter on their CVT's and AT's, so your basically just dumping out fluid and replacing with new fluid...and in some cases, repeat that process 3 times but still doesn't get all the dirty fluid out. I was wondering if you could get some of the fluid, say even a quart or two out of those transmissions, then simply replace what got sucked out, then you don't have to fool with all of that stuff. Yeah, you'd probably have to do that procedure a little more often, but it would seem to me that it would be way easier, and less stressful, to just do it that way.

"Honda doesn't use a filter on their CVT's"

Thats not correct. Its a small filter cartridge that is on top on the CVT. Have to remove the battery in some, maybe all, to get to it.

Has anyone tried using an extractor through the fill port on either a CVT or the 6AT? Reason why I'm asking is that I've been reading a lot that some have had problems getting the correct CVT fluid level on the CRV's because there is no dipstick.... .
Many/most CVT trans have no dipstick now and the Honda procedure is actually one of the more straight forward diy. According to Honda, unlike Nissan there's no trans fluid temp required to diy. Member Bottom_Feeder has posted a couple threads excellent threads on the procedure including one with service manual pics, both linked. As for variables, one would think Honda has taken them into consideration with the service manual procedure. Obviously doing it on level ground would be a requirement.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...:_Question_on_'13_Accord_CVT#Post4156769

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...74529/all/Just_changed_the_CVT_fluid_in_

I suppose using an extractor would/could be an option. Have no personal experience with it.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Also, as some know, Honda doesn't use a filter on their CVT's and AT's, so your basically just dumping out fluid and replacing with new fluid....

Here's an excellent video showing a Civic CVT filter change. It's been posted to BITOG before.
Unfortunately I found out about 3000 miles after my most recent CVT fluid change. Honda makes no reference to it in their maintenance schedule but filters are readily available at RA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back