Oil pump problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.
*1995 F-150 V8 200k (my FIL's)

**Leaking around main seal

***Burns some oil when running

****Problem: I'm borrowing and keeping the oil levels topped off @ full line. Yet, oil pressure gauge stays low to near 0 pressure when running.

*****Is this an oil pump problem or something else; the truck runs OK for its age and problems?

Since it has not locked up yet, I would put a manual oil pressure gauge to confirm what the gauge is saying.

If it's the stock dash gauge . . . they are basically a dummy light. Above 7psi (I think . . .) it'll read where it wants to read, and below that, it'll read zero. To echo the above, the senders have been known to go bad.

Does it sound like it has no oil pressure? Lifter noise?

Put a manual gauge on it and see what it says before you come to any other conclusions

How many miles ?

Any valve train noise ?

Difference in oil pressure from hot to cold ? Idle to highway speed / RPM ?

Yes , install mechanical oil pressure gauge .

Wyr
God bless

I believe it more likely that the oil pump is working fine, and its a gauge issue. Its hard to argue with a 200K engine that seems to run fine while burning a smidge of oil.

My XTerra has the opposite problem, oil pressure gauge is pegged to high any time the ignition is on, whether the engine is running or not. I'll replace the sender eventually.

You don't have "zero" oil pressure. What it actually is dunno, get it checked. But the VT noise could be an indication it's low. With the main seal leak you're on borrowed time, so get the pressure thing resolved and keep topping it off. Otherwise you might consider a thick HiMi oil for the burning and main seal leak.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
*1995 F-150 V8 200k (my FIL's)

**Leaking around main seal

***Burns some oil when running

****Problem: I'm borrowing and keeping the oil levels topped off @ full line. Yet, oil pressure gauge stays low to near 0 pressure when running.

*****Is this an oil pump problem or something else; the truck runs OK for its age and problems?

More than likely you have a bad oil pressure switch which feeds the "dummy" gauge. It will register normal with 7 psi. Your engine would be locked up by now if you had below that. A test with a manual gauge would be needed to see exactly where you are at.

Last edited:
Top off with cheapest 10w30 you can find. Drive it slow and easy. Unless its a manual, an RMS leak is just a mess to deal with. In a truck of that age and miles, R+R"ng a RMS is a total.
PS Just a wild guess, but worth checking. OP senders are known leakers, could the RMS leak really be a leaky sender? Clogged PCV ?? Anything more radical isn't cost effective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back