Selling a Firearm Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't you get nervous handing over a gun to a stranger from the internet and letting them test it out? I mean, isn't someone looking to buy privately often because they have trouble passing mandatory background checks at a store? It's bad enough when people get robbed or killed doing a car deal on Craigslist. Now you're dealing with the actual weapon.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Wouldn't you get nervous handing over a gun to a stranger from the internet and letting them test it out? I mean, isn't someone looking to buy privately often because they have trouble passing mandatory background checks at a store? It's bad enough when people get robbed or killed doing a car deal on Craigslist. Now you're dealing with the actual weapon.

No. In Florida, I can sell a gun on the internet and its perfectly legal. I DO require that they have a conceal carry permit, which means they passed all relevant background checks and statistically speaking, commit less crimes and have a cleaner background than even the police officers do. And since 1 out of every 20 people in Florida has a conceal carry permit (highest in the nation), there is a huge pool of available buyers with a conceal carry permit, so my guns usually sell within a few days or hours of posting them.

I've had the most luck selling on fora specializing in the type of guns I'm selling(for me, generally, the Smith and Wesson forum) although rules and courtesy both usually dictate that you be an active contributor to the site before selling, or otherwise make a donation to it.

As for the above concern-considering that I make the buyer provide me with the shipping address of an FFL and copy of that license, and I drop it off at my FFL, the chances of anything happening are essentially non-existent.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

No. In Florida, I can sell a gun on the internet and its perfectly legal. I DO require that they have a conceal carry permit, which means they passed all relevant background checks and statistically speaking, commit less crimes and have a cleaner background than even the police officers do. And since 1 out of every 20 people in Florida has a conceal carry permit (highest in the nation), there is a huge pool of available buyers with a conceal carry permit, so my guns usually sell within a few days or hours of posting them.

Exactly Bubbatime. I would only sell it to someone with a concealed carry permit unless I knew them extremely well personally. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

I've used gunbroker to sell and buy multiple guns and have only had one problem (gun was not the model stated in the ad).

In my state any sale (even face to face) has to go through a FFL so there is always a background check no matter what.

BSW.

Where did you get your information that someone in Florida who has a concealed weapon carry permit has a cleaner background than an LEO?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 007

Where did you get your information that someone in Florida who has a concealed weapon carry permit has a cleaner background than an LEO?

You should familiarize yourself with LEO hiring requirements.

Originally Posted by Toros
Originally Posted by 007

You should familiarize yourself with LEO hiring requirements.

Funny you should say that. I happen to know them and concealed weapons carry permit requirements as well! Saw your profile. Feel free to share your insight with me in a PM if you wish.

Last edited:

Who said anything about letting them test fire it? There are a lot of reasons to buy privately owned guns, it is a lot like buying a used car. The buyer may be looking for something older, I love buying old .22lr rifles. A lot of buyers just want to save money vs. buying new, sometimes you can get a package deal with ammo and accessories.

Originally Posted by AVB

Who said anything about letting them test fire it? There are a lot of reasons to buy privately owned guns, it is a lot like buying a used car. The buyer may be looking for something older, I love buying old .22lr rifles. A lot of buyers just want to save money vs. buying new, sometimes you can get a package deal with ammo and accessories.

Never bought a gun before but before but would want to test it out first before handing over the cash. Just like when buying a car.

A lot of sales take place where there are no facilities to test fire a weapon. It is a chance you take when buying used, on the other hand most reputable gun makers will repair their firearms for free if they haven't been abused. It all just depends on what you are comfortable with as a buyer.

Good discussion taking place. And thanks for the recommendations on the online sites. Gun Trader produced quite a few inquiries on one of the guns I want to sell and I might have a local buyer ready to purchase it. I also have a person out of state who saw the same posting on Armslist that wants it at full asking price and is willing to cover any additional charges for shipping and any FFL fees. I've never sold a gun to an out of state buyer before. This buyer claims he has a CCW permit and has a reputable FFL willing to accept and process the sale on his end. Any thing I should know before considering the sale to this individual? I am assuming that the FFL on his end will do the proper background check before releasing the weapon to him. Thanks.

The FFL would be breaking federal law if he didn't get the paperwork right and whatever state laws apply for the state the gun's being sold in.

You can check if the FFL is valid at https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

Make sure the receiving FFL is willing to accept a gun from a non-FFL before you send it. There isn't any federal law that says guns may only be shipped by a FFL but many FFLs don't want to deal with a non-FFL.

BSW

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
The FFL would be breaking federal law if he didn't get the paperwork right and whatever state laws apply for the state the gun's being sold in.

You can check if the FFL is valid at https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

Make sure the receiving FFL is willing to accept a gun from a non-FFL before you send it. There isn't any federal law that says guns may only be shipped by a FFL but many FFLs don't want to deal with a non-FFL.

BSW

I've already got a local FFL who will help process this transaction on my end. Just waiting on the other party now to see if he wants to go through with the purchase. With the extra costs of FFLs and shipping, It may not be worth it to him.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Good discussion taking place. And thanks for the recommendations on the online sites. Gun Trader produced quite a few inquiries on one of the guns I want to sell and I might have a local buyer ready to purchase it. I also have a person out of state who saw the same posting on Armslist that wants it at full asking price and is willing to cover any additional charges for shipping and any FFL fees. I've never sold a gun to an out of state buyer before. This buyer claims he has a CCW permit and has a reputable FFL willing to accept and process the sale on his end. Any thing I should know before considering the sale to this individual? I am assuming that the FFL on his end will do the proper background check before releasing the weapon to him. Thanks.

i have some experience selling out of state. be wary of armslist out of state sales though. if you do sell to the armslist guy make sure that you get payment , copy of ffl that it will be sent to and verify its a legit ffl via the BATF website. if the FFL can be verified only send it to the address of the FFL. if there is a phone number for the FFL call them and ask for instructions. You can send it directly to a FFL on your own , but usually the shipping cost is high. You can also see if a local FFL will ship it for you for a fee. FFL to FFL can use the post office flat rate box, while non FFL have to use common carrier . UPS and FED EX policy is next day air only.

If you are selling local, unless there are laws forbiding it, its usually cash and carry. usually you will break the law if you KNOWINGLY sell it to a prohibited person . if you sold you felon cousin a gun knowing you he is a felon you will be in trouble. In the past before the crazy Wa St laws passed i would sell a gun to a person by looking at their license and ccw permit.

its usually easier sell local unless the out of stater is paying a lot more , then you need to be wary of scams.

of course you need to check all your local and fed laws and this post is not to be considered legal advice . its just some dude posting on the net

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Sierra048 said:
You can send it directly to a FFL on your own , but usually the shipping cost is high. You can also see if a local FFL will ship it for you for a fee. FFL to FFL can use the post office flat rate box, while non FFL have to use common carrier . UPS and FED EX policy is next day air only.

This is a big reason why I always do sales "From my FFL to yours."

A handgun will typically fit in a USPS large flat rate box with plenty of packing around it, and that's around $18 to ship. The FFL I use charges $35 to pack and ship a firearm that way(including shipping cost).

UPS or Fed-Ex overnight can run $50 or better for an individual to ship, and as you said the carrier rules(not law) are that this is how they require guns be shipped.

Some FFLs can also get funny about accepting a shipment from a non-FFL. My local guys are fine with it just as long as the shipper puts a copy of their DL/other ID in the box, but I've heard of some shops giving grief over it. FFL to FFL can put their minds at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back