15 F150 Gear & Transfer Case Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 F150 5.0 6spd trans 4x4.

Am I correct the transfer case has gears always moving as the truck drives in it's fluid and the front snot locker only sees gears moving when the truck is in LS mode and slips or put into 4H or 4L?

Asking because I told a friend with a 16 F150 4x4 it's a good idea to get the front diff moving in 4H on dirt roads (dry summer/fall) for a bit even if not needed just to get those gears engaged an not just when it snows. We're talking northeast 4 seasons.

Can't answer your direct question, but I try to put my truck into 4H on straight/flat roads at least once a month to keep the 4WD components lubricated.

I don't know for sure but I think you need to put it in 4x4 once in a while to keep everything lubricated. I don't believe the transfer case gears get bathed in fluid unless it's in 4x4 but I am not an expert. About the only time mine Ford sees 4x4 is when I pull my boat out of the water however that is several times a year. I do believe that is probably sufficient to prevent harm because I have never had a 4x4 issue with any drivetrain components in 30 plus years of 4x4 ownership. Throw it in 4x4 a couple times a year on those gravel roads and you will be fine. Better yet, change the transfer case fluid and differential fluids per the owners manual and you will be trouble free for several years.

Unless there is some type of axle disconnect the front diff and drive shaft are always turning. The amount of load that the front axle sees while putting along in 2wd is next to nothing.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Unless there is some type of axle disconnect the front diff and drive shaft are always turning. The amount of load that the front axle sees while putting along in 2wd is next to nothing.

His will have what Ford calls "IWEs" Integrated Wheel Ends. There are vacuum actuators at the front hubs which are supplied via a solenoid in the engine bay. Those lock and transfer power to the front hubs. Unless those are turned on, the front diff is free spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back