Amica car insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I misunderstood. I'm with Flo's Bros right now, and they did well by me with the recent flood totaling of my new-to-me '15 BMW 3 Series -- I came out of it with enough for a big down payment on the Buick, and am no worse off than before. Of course I keep an eye open for a good deal. Amica sent me one of their mailings, and I called.

The woman tells me it would cost me $8000 a year for insurance with them. Yes; eight thousand[/i] dollars a year -- almost 3.5 times what I pay now. I went, "Pfft!" and ended the call.

Well, last week I thought, "Maybe I misunderstood, or she made a a mistake." So I called back. Nope, still eight grand. A different lady this time. She tells me that if I increase my limits -- in other words, bump my coverage above the state minimums -- my rate will drop.

How's that again? In my experience, if their risk of having to pay out big big money increases, so would my premiums. How is it possible for me to raise my coverage substantially, yet pay less? Any of you have Amica and run into this?

Here is one thing I figured out in trying to get a better rate than Geico which I have. I slipped on ice into a ditch driving wife's Crosstrek (why drive my pickup in bad weather). It damaged the plastic bumper. Listed as at fault but Geico did not raise rates as first accident. However when looking for other companies there is no accident forgiveness in a new policy for prior accident. I think it lasts 42 or 48 months in NY. After that insurance companies cannot consider it in rates.

Also different companies view risks differently. So Amica might be good for one person, bad for another. Always shop around. Geico does have a 5 yr good drive discount.

If you want great insurance rates don't have kids. Or sent to convent when they turn driving age.

Originally Posted by Donald
Here is one thing I figured out in trying to get a better rate than Geico which I have. I slipped on ice into a ditch driving wife's Crosstrek (why drive my pickup in bad weather). It damaged the plastic bumper. Listed as at fault but Geico did not raise rates as first accident. However when looking for other companies there is no accident forgiveness in a new policy for prior accident. I think it lasts 42 or 48 months in NY. After that insurance companies cannot consider it in rates.

Also different companies view risks differently. So Amica might be good for one person, bad for another. Always shop around. Geico does have a 5 yr good drive discount.

If you want great insurance rates don't have kids. Or sent to convent when they turn driving age.

Geico did indeed bump my rates for a first accident. And I don't have kids. Unfortunately I live in Lousy-ana.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
8K???? EGADS!!!!

I'm paying about $2200 a year now, and I'm an older driver with a good record and a safe 4-door sedan. An example of life in Da Swamp.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
8K???? EGADS!!!!

I'm paying about $2200 a year now, and I'm an older driver with a good record and a safe 4-door sedan. An example of life in Da Swamp.

Wow, you get roasted down there. I pay that on the Volt, and that's with 2 DWI's and a driving record 3 pages long. 30 years old.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
8K???? EGADS!!!!

Wow, you get roasted down there. I pay that on the Volt, and that's with 2 DWI's and a driving record 3 pages long. 30 years old.

I get roasted, steamed, and stewed in more ways than one.

Wowzer. I'd have to look it up, but I get a number of insurance discounts. I want to say its maybe $2k for 3 vehicles, but I have my deductible set to $1k and haven't made a claim in 20 years. No tickets either.

I have had Amica for over six years now with no complaints. My rates marginally increased this year after moving from Illinois to Wisconsin so I decided to rate shop. Geico was slightly lower BUT Amica offers a dividend sharing program where you get a check mailed to you every year based on your dividend earnings. I am happy to stay with Amica and have top level coverage for $74 per month.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I have had Amica for over six years now with no complaints. My rates marginally increased this year after moving from Illinois to Wisconsin so I decided to rate shop. Geico was slightly lower BUT Amica offers a dividend sharing program where you get a check mailed to you every year based on your dividend earnings. I am happy to stay with Amica and have top level coverage for $74 per month.

I'm looking into moving to WI. (No, seriously. It sounds like a great place to live.)

So this line they're handing me about higher limits = lower premiums is nonsense?

Louisiana is usually the first or second highest state for insurance premiums. I don't know the reasons, but it's at least 3 or 4 times what we pay here in Alabama. We pay around $1,000/year for both fully insured vehicles.

There are a lot of potential reasons for the $8,000 premium. It could be that they just don't want to do business in that area and intentionally price themselves out of the market. There may be other factors-type of vehicle, driving record (you did just have a very significant claim which, while not moving does impact rates), your driving distance, etc.

The higher limits/lower premiums sounds odd, but they may have a reason for it. Insurance companies do some pretty odd stuff.

I'm looking into moving to WI. (No, seriously. It sounds like a great place to live.)

I was in Wisconsin once in the winter. Never again. They can keep their snow and frigid temperatures-the only ice I want to see is the ice in my glass of water while I'm sitting by the pool in January.

So you just had a huge claim and then tried to shop for car insurance? You're a hot potato and need to wait a few years. Stay in Flo's good graces!

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Louisiana is usually the first or second highest state for insurance premiums. I don't know the reasons, but it's at least 3 or 4 times what we pay here in Alabama. We pay around $1,000/year for both fully insured vehicles.

There are a lot of potential reasons for the $8,000 premium. It could be that they just don't want to do business in that area and intentionally price themselves out of the market. There may be other factors-type of vehicle, driving record (you did just have a very significant claim which, while not moving does impact rates), your driving distance, etc.

The higher limits/lower premiums sounds odd, but they may have a reason for it. Insurance companies do some pretty odd stuff.

Well, my last accident was back in 2015, so it's busily aging out. Still it might have an effect. If you mean the flooding matter from July, then I see what you mean.

Part of the reason we have higher premiums here is just the good ol' culture of corruption. Lousy-ana has always followed the Euro model for public employees of "Yes, I showed up for work today. If you want me to actually do something, I need a little extra in my pocket." There's also the fact that an awful lot of the "drivers" here don't bother to obtain insurance. Then we have the risk of floods and hurricanes, or both.

Really? Sounds awful. Cold, snow, road salt... wait a minute, I just described where I live.

Good luck. I'm guessing you'll find it a mite bit different. Maybe fly in for a week in Feb. Don't know if it's like New England but spring can be brutal (around here) when everything thaws and turns into mud season. Not to deter you but just making sure you cover all the bases.

On the flip side you'll gain the right to laugh at southern states that shut down at the hint of winter weather, while you are out driving in 6" of snow, while it's falling, thinking it's perfectly normal to only see 100 feet while trying to do 45+.

WE have the Hartford from AARP. Haven't had any claims yet but for my 4 vehicles with them which is two camper vans and my crew cab pickup and wife's little VW convertible it is just over 1K per year with full coverage and $500 deductible. Like I said though I haven't had any tickets or claims. State Farm was killing us on our rates and we have a house with them..

Wife and I pay $1200 a year for 2 Hondas full coverage, $500 collision deductible and $100 comprehensive deductible and Lexus liability only
Through Safeco
Good records other than a speeding ticket for me

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton

Really? Sounds awful. Cold, snow, road salt... wait a minute, I just described where I live.

Good luck. I'm guessing you'll find it a mite bit different. Maybe fly in for a week in Feb. Don't know if it's like New England but spring can be brutal (around here) when everything thaws and turns into mud season. Not to deter you but just making sure you cover all the bases.

On the flip side you'll gain the right to laugh at southern states that shut down at the hint of winter weather, while you are out driving in 6" of snow, while it's falling, thinking it's perfectly normal to only see 100 feet while trying to do 45+.

I handled snow okay in Denver. Of course that wasn't but once a month, and it was usually melted/steamed off the pavements by noon the next day.

As for cold, well, what I tell locals is: There's this new technology. It's in all the stores now. It's called coats and jackets. My closet at present has a range of outerwear from several windbreakers to a long black wool dress coat, and a "sheep rancher" coat, one of those heavy suede leather things lined with fake sheepskin, that I used all the time in CO. Most Gnaw-luns denizens don't even have the windbreaker, and complain bitterly when the temp dips to 60.

Originally Posted by dishdude
So you just had a huge claim and then tried to shop for car insurance? You're a hot potato and need to wait a few years. Stay in Flo's good graces!

Hey, Amica and Liberty keep sending me these flyers and mailers. The least I can do is give 'em a call!

No, this would be info for the future, if my rates with Progressive get even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back