Has Honda VCM changed for 2019 Pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by ls973800
I did mention that so far at 7000 miles I have had no problems. What I really meant is that I have never felt when the VCM kicked in or out, no vibrations, nothing. I couldn't even tell you if it has ever engaged.

The first 4000 miles were 95% highway driving during a vacation. Now I am doing about 50/50 highway/city. I understand that 7000 miles is pretty meaningless in the scheme of things right now.

My understanding regarding the 2017 model year is that when you see the green "Eco" light come on, the VCM is engaged.

I cant swear to it about the 2017 but one the older models you are correct, I would assume it is the same.

True on older models but not on 2016 and newer.

Then what does the eco light being illuminated mean? Is it is not in variable cylinder mode? Please explain the differences in the systems, I am interested.

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by benjayman227
Owner of a 2016 Odyssey here, which has the "2-stage" VCM (3/4/6 cylinders), widely considered to be the worst of the various incantations. There are many muzzling devices available. Many of them are available with OEM connectors, so they can be removed without a trace in case of warranty, re-sale, etc.

My muzzler is one of the more advanced ones, with a microprocessor that actively monitors and adjusts the coolant temperature signal, and also passes through overheat conditions. The simple resistor-style can work too, but can also cause the symptoms mentioned by Dave Sherman above if it's not adjusted correctly.

Do you think maybe you could share the name of the vendor that offers the "advanced" version of the VCM disabler? Would be greatly appreciated. I have the first version VCM II in my Accord. No problems at all. I just change the oil 4-5 K and pay attention to the PCV valve. Keeping it until electric goes more mainstream. Regarding some ppl having problems and others not having any; this is true of any make. There are always ppl that will find a way to mess something up no matter how good it is.

Sure. I use the S-VCM Controller. Since purchasing mine, the vendor has added a "custom" option as well which includes a pre-wired fuse box tap and an on/off switch.

Another option is the VCM Tuner II, which claims to automatically support the idle re-learn without the need to disconnect.

Both these devices are highly regarded by the many users of them on OdyClub. Simpler, less expensive option is any of the earlier muzzlers which incorporate a variable resistor or a socket for inserting various fixed resistors.

Here's a bit more detail https://www.odyclub.com/threads/vcmtuner-ii.351897/post-2313599

HTH.

I'm surprised dealers haven't started installing muzzlers
crazy2.gif

crazy2.gif
Is really right. Holy cow, factory authorized dealers circumventing CAFE induced controls and bumping fuel mileage numbers lower. Don't want to see that fine.

[/quote]
My understanding regarding the 2017 model year is that when you see the green "Eco" light come on, the VCM is engaged.

I cant swear to it about the 2017 but one the older models you are correct, I would assume it is the same.

True on older models but not on 2016 and newer

Then what does the eco light being illuminated mean? Is it is not in variable cylinder mode? Please explain the differences in the systems, I am interested.
[/quote]

In my 2019 owner's manual, it says the ECON mode adjusts the performance of the engine, A/C, and cruise. I have driven with my ECON mode turned on for all except one tank of fuel. The car when taking off from a stop does not accelerate as quickly as when the ECON mode is shut off. The A/C supposedly does not cycle on and off as much, preventing a load on the engine. When using cruise, if I hit the brakes and then hit the resume on the cruise, it takes longer for the car to get back up to the set speed.

There is a difference when starting from a stop and not having the ECON on. The car responds much quicker and takes off much quicker. I haven't noticed much regarding the A/C operation as here in North East Ohio along the lake I don't use the air very much. When it has been in the upper 80's the air has performed fine with no problem. The cruise really does take time to get back up to speed as it doesn't "floor" the pedal as many cars do to get back up to the set speed.

All of this is done for lower RPM's and saving gas without jackrabbit starts. The one tank full that I had the ECON turned off I really noticed a livelier response when taking off and the cruise getting back up to speed much quicker. I didn't notice any drastic reduction in MPG but again, it was only for one tank full.

I continue to leave the ECON on and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the VCM on the 2019 model Pilot. The ECON light stays on at all times unless I push it to take it out of ECON mode. Copy from the 2019 Honda Pilot Owners Manual.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for that, that is interesting. I need to do a little research about it for my own knowledge. Things change fast and its hard to stay current with so many makes and models.

Originally Posted by Trav
Thanks a lot for that, that is interesting. I need to do a little research about it for my own knowledge. Things change fast and its hard to stay current with so many makes and models.

You are welcome! I have heard "rumors" that the 2019 VCM is a different system than what was even used in the 2018 models. One person even posted on another forum that his friend who is a mechanic at a Honda dealership told him that. I have no idea if that is true or not, hence my original post.

If you do find anything interesting out, please post it or let me know. I would appreciate it, thanks.

I think for now I will just continue running it without any mods made to the VCM system and see what happens as time goes on.

Sure will. Every time Honda implemented a revision to the original system it has brought some different issues along with it. Maybe after 20 years they finally got something right.

I can only relate how my 2017 Odyssey SE reacted when the "ECO" light came on, usually at about 52 mph under average load. There was a noticeable shudder as some cylinders shut down I suppose. And I'm not talking about any ECON button or switch. This was the ECO light that came on frequently on my 2017 model. It's one reason I sold the vehicle back to a Honda dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back