Only drove weekend car 3k miles in 2 years. Needs oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definitely do it given all the short driving you likely had during that time.

If you already have an excellent filter and you do it yourself, just replace the motor oil and have it go for another couple of years.

If you bring it in somewhere just get it done. You're kvetching over a kleenex compared to the cost and misery of the common cold.

Last edited:
I change my own oil.
Not many short drives actually.
Just a lot of sitting.
Most drives are 30 mins
Change it?
Doesn't water just burn off the next time you drive it?

Yes the oil filter can rust out 100% sure oil is fouled with water (from consolidation ) you should change it once per year minimum

Can't imagine oil filter rusting out with all that oil inside it, coating.
Driven at least once a month

Originally Posted by wowthisexists
Can't imagine oil filter rusting out with all that oil inside it, coating.
Driven at least once a month

Filters tend to rust from outside in (especially at the base). Only a big problem is states that use salt on the roads (and right on the coast).

3000 miles in 2 years, I would change it.
If you change it yourself you are looking at what, $30 or less to change it.

spend the extra 5 bucks for a filter why change the oil and leave a pint to a quart dirty oil in the engine .........

Last edited:
Leave it in and get an analysis in two more years. The analysis will state it will still have plenty of life left especially since you do take it for nice trip every month.

No rust on the outside of the filter.
Car is stored indoors.
But, I will just change it anyway

Can anyone speak to the notion that the oil is fouled with water after 2 years?

In reality no. Also since you take it at least a 30 mile drive every month to me this is a non factor.

Not without a UOA.
It really depends on many factors, what vehicle, sump size, temperature, humidity etc.

My truck had a lot of milky oil on the oil cap @ 5000 miles/10 months with mostly short trips, but would do a 100 mile trip (50 miles each way all highway) at least monthly, sometimes 2-3 times.
My oil cap looked like this the day after I had done one of these 100 mile drives:
[Linked Image]

Oil on the dipstick looked fine, but at some point I had moisture in the oil, and it was still hanging out in the fill tube, so I changed it.
For me on that vehicle (and truthfully all others) I won't do over a 1 year interval.
Oil and filters are cheap (< $20 for Supertech oil and filter @ Walmart if you are wanting to be super cheap).

I change my own oil.
Not many short drives actually.
Just a lot of sitting.
Most drives are 30 mins
Change it?
Doesn't water just burn off the next time you drive it?

I have done the same kind of driving and mileage on my summer car, and never let it go more than 2 years.

If you always drive it a good while to get the oil to full operating for a decent period of time any moisture from cold start-up should be evaporated out.

Look inside the oil fill cap for any signs of moisture. The colder the weather, the longer the drive will have to be to get out any water/condensation in the crankcase.

since the engine is open to the atmosphere via intake manifold this will be an issue
this will make it easy to understand ..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
My truck had a lot of milky oil on the oil cap @ 5000 miles/10 months with mostly short trips, but would do a 100 mile trip (50 miles each way all highway) at least monthly, sometimes 2-3 times.
My oil cap looked like this the day after I had done one of these 100 mile drives:

When I've encountered an oil cap like that it was either a PCV or head gasket problem. Could have been an intake manifold coolant crossover gasket too on V engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back