2018 Ford A/C blower speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys can anybody tell me why and how on my 2018 F250 the speed of the a/c blower is delayed when on high
( I know this normal ) and it designed that way. But what's the purpose and can this be changed with an older style blower motor? It's real aggravating when the temp outside is hot as hail and your wait for the blower to kick in full blast
Thanks for info !ðŸ‘

You are in a humid area? The cooling coil does not get cold instantly. Turning the fan on high delays getting good cooling. As a suggestion, try a lower speed from the start. I find the better humidity control that way gives comfort faster than blasting lukewarm more humid air all around. you only have a certain amount of BTUs it can pump regardless of blower speed.

Rod

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Hey guys can anybody tell me why and how on my 2018 F250 the speed of the a/c blower is delayed when on high
( I know this normal ) and it designed that way. But what's the purpose and can this be changed with an older style blower motor?

The purpose is to compensate for not being able to use R134a any more. And we thought it was bad when they got rid of R12.

Most likely it is controlled by the body computer and not the motor nor the speed control.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
You are in a humid area? The cooling coil does not get cold instantly. Turning the fan on high delays getting good cooling. As a suggestion, try a lower speed from the start. I find the better humidity control that way gives comfort faster than blasting lukewarm more humid air all around. you only have a certain amount of BTUs it can pump regardless of blower speed.

Rod

that is a lie mine gets cold instantly but it's a electrical A/C unit 5.5kw 3 phase.. by the time i leave it all ready getting very cold

My Mercedes and RX in sig do the same thing and it's really annoying, especially the RX where it seems to really take forever. I know it's a major first world problem but still, my old reliable Honda is instant as soon as I turn the key

Last edited:
From the FSM:

A/C Request

When an A/C request is received by the PCM, the A/C clutch relay is engaged when all of the following conditions are met:

Excessively high or low refrigerant pressure from the A/C pressure transducer is not detected.
Ambient air temperature is above approximately 32.0°F (°C).
Evaporator temperature is above approximately 33.8°F (1°C).
a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition is not present.
the PCM does not detect temperatures from the Mass Airflow/Intake Air Temperature sensor that does not correlate with other temperature sensor readings at ignition ON. (Most Mass Airflow (MAF) sensors have an integrated Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor).
Compressor control and the evaporator temperature are a function of many parameters, not just a straight on/off, to avoid freezing the evaporator. The PCM monitors multiple temperature sensors for correlation including, but not limited to, AAT, CACT, CHT, ECT, IAT, MAF, MAP, and MAPT (as applicable). The PCM runs this logic after an engine off and a calibrated soak period of 6 to 8 hours. This soak period allows the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor and the other temperature sensors to stabilize and not differ by greater than a calibrated value, typically 18ºC (32.4ºF). If a temperature sensor input is found to be reporting a temperature imbalance the PCM does not allow the A/C clutch to engage. For more information on PCM sensors, refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

The PCM monitors the discharge pressure measured by the A/C pressure transducer. The PCM interrupts A/C compressor operation in the event the A/C pressure transducer indicates high system discharge pressures. It is also used to sense low charge conditions. If the pressure is below a predetermined value for a given ambient temperature, the PCM does not allow the A/C clutch to engage.

The FCIM adjusts the air inlet door depending on the humidity measured by the in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor. If the vehicle cabin becomes too humid and recirculated air is selected, the FCIM adjusts the air inlet door to allow more fresh air. When the humidity level drops, it adjusts back to partial recirculated air. The FCIM also adjusts the system based on in-vehicle temperature.

The autolamp-sunload sensor supplies information to the FCIM indicating the intensity of the sun on the vehicle. The FCIM adjusts the system based on the intensity.

Originally Posted by JEL01
My Mercedes and RX in sig do the same thing and it's really annoying, especially the RX where it seems to really take forever. I know it's a major first world problem but still, my old reliable Honda is instant as soon as I turn the key

You understand exactly what I'm saying
The air is cold from the get go
It just takes for ever for it to blow full force !

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
My Tahoe in the jungle humidity here in Miami Beach gets cold instantly. Same goes for my friends Suburban.

What year model ?

My Tahoe in the jungle humidity here in Miami Beach gets cold instantly. Same goes for my friends Suburban.

What year model ?

Yep and even if it's not at its maximum coldness, air moving (that's colder than the surface of the sun, aka inside a hot car) is still preferable to still HOT air

Yep and even if it's not at its maximum coldness, air moving (that's colder than the surface of the sun, aka inside a hot car) is still preferable to still HOT air

I agree
The delay on the blower speed is not a good feature
Not sure what engineer thought that idea up, but I'd vote to go back to full force blower motors

What year model ?

Does your Tahoe have a delayed blower motor ?

What year model ?

2016 LT

Does your Tahoe have a delayed blower motor ?

No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back