Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 - 16 Tundra - 6,175 miles *Heavy towing*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one thing to endanger your life, but you're putting everyone on the road in your path at risk. Get a truck appropriate for your application.

Originally Posted by PimTac
One almost needs a CDL for driving a rig like that.

Yeah not to mention overloading the Max towing capacity by 40%.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by PimTac
One almost needs a CDL for driving a rig like that.

Yeah not to mention overloading the Max towing capacity by 40%.

If he has a 4x4, it's probably closer to 65% overloaded to the towing rating. The tow rating is 8800 lbs for a 4x4 in that configuration. It's 10,100 only if it's a 4x2.

Frankly, people whom travel like this tick me off; they are either ignorant (they don't know any better) or arrogant (they know better, but don't care about the consequences). it's irresponsible and dangerous.

Last edited:
I have been following this post mainly since I just purchased a Toyota Tundra. I have to say this it is a little embarrassing reading it. It started off as it should about oil and then progressed into personal insults about the guys tow rig. I am sure everyone on this forum is either ignorant or guilty of something. If you disagree I have a bridge to sell you. Lets stick to oil.

Originally Posted by liberty
I have been following this post mainly since I just purchased a Toyota Tundra. I have to say this it is a little embarrassing reading it. It started off as it should about oil and then progressed into personal insults about the guys tow rig. I am sure everyone on this forum is either ignorant or guilty of something. If you disagree I have a bridge to sell you. Lets stick to oil.

There is a big difference between making a mistake and gross endangerment of others' lives.

Completely agree - it sure turned around ! This thread is in the oil analysis forum so why can't people stay on topic ???

Maybe because Mr Newton is concerned about this guys family and the safety of others … he did not go to all that trouble and research … (and as a moderator go off topic) because it was not a serious issue.

I no longer own an RV … but, I live in the middle of "RV world" between RV parks and RV sales … and I'm surely used to seeing big units like that hitched to 350/3500 LT's … For sure, have never seen what that picture shows …

Who thinks the OP will pass on these concerns to his friend ? This sub-forum is for discussion of oil analyses. Why can't it stick to that ? Yes, I know, I'm not helping in this regard either !

Toyota or a here and there Ford engine can handle the W20 but would likely do better on a W30 or W40...keep in mind this guy is juicing the formulas.

If he is ignorant, it wont be in the right thread.
But FWIW this is the OP's friend's mistake, not the OP.

The oil analysis looks pretty great.

BG MOA is advertised to not affect the viscosity of the oil it is added to.

Originally Posted by dblshock
Toyota or a here and there Ford engine can handle the W20 but would likely do better on a W30 or W40...keep in mind this guy is juicing the formulas.

Originally Posted by leje0306

There is a big difference between making a mistake and gross endangerment of others' lives.

This is correct. There's a big difference between personality traits ( who likes what brand of lube ...) and egregious, dangerous behavior.

I've been around RVs my entire life, even as a kid. There are people whom know what they are doing, and those who don't.
This is not the OPs fault; it's just his buddies rig and truck. But ....
This is darn dangerous, and should the unthinkable happen, there's going to be a BIG lawsuit. You think Toyota is going to say "Sure - we are fine if you ignore our towing and load limits. After all, we're just some multi-billion-dollar international company with deep pockets. We'll go ahead and cover the punitive damages from the jurors' award because this guy killed a family when his overloaded truck could not handle the situation and crushed the family."

You don't think accidents happen due to overloading? You don't think people are killed every day by overloaded and unsafe vehicles? I just had to deal with a multiple fatality last month where an overloaded class 5 truck could not stop in time, swerved and the load caused him to roll over onto a motorcycle at a stoplight.

The Tundra in this thread is dangerously overloaded. Can the engine pull the load? Yes. Can the engine do it and survive? Apparently so, because the wear is commendable.

Let's remember that the SAE introduced a new towing standard J2807 a few years ago so that fair, accurate, reliable comparisons and contrasts could be made for all vehicles intended to tow. I looked at Toyota's website and could not find any claim to the SAE standard, but I'm fairly sure all the major brands (GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota, Nissan) all use that standard for their truck tow ratings. Don't you think if Toyota could have the tundra tow/haul more, they would rate it higher? After all, the Toyota actually is way low on towing and hauling ratings contrasted to the Big 3. If Toyota states it's Tundra 4x4 towing limit is 8800 lbs, then that's what they mean. It sure as heck isn't anywhere close to 14,000 lbs like the rig we see in the picture! And adding air springs in the rear only levels the truck; it does NOT in any manner increase the load carrying limit.
https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2807_201602/

Ford, for example, has their SAE call-out right on page two, at the bottom of their towing guide:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resource...des/Ford_Linc_18RVTTowGuide_r11_Jan4.pdf

Toyota does not specify if they use the SAE standard (at least I could not find it ... but I may have overlooked it)
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM0C009U/pdf/OM0C009U.pdf
As you can clearly see, starting on page 170, they talk about weights, capacities, limits, etc. One thing that is not immediately obvious but is very critical is the max axle loading. Often will be stated on the vehicle ID label in the door jam. I suspect this example is WAY OVER the axle limits.

But there are times when the glaringly obvious needs to be addressed, and I hope the OP takes the opportunity to tell his buddy that the rest of the world does not appreciate him taking liberties with my family and all those around us. In this case, the off-topic is actually far more important than a boring UOA from a well-running engine.

Last edited:

No there are times when more important information should be shared and situations should be addressed. This is one of those times.

As a fellow RVer I completely agree with dnewton. That truck is totally wrong for the application and is risking the safety of himself ,his passengers and those around him. By the look of that hitch it's mounted way too far back on the chassis too. He needs a 1 ton pickup with a diesel. If he ever gets to a DOT stop he is in trouble. Any state trooper should know that Truck is overloaded just by looking at it.

As far as the engine wear, it's fantastic for the use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back