Engine Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be carrying out an oil change shortly & wondered if anyone could advice me of any particular make, type, etc please? BMW seem to recommend BMW Longlife I. I have a 2004 Z4 2.2i auto with 18,000 miles.

If you have a Z4 2.2i, that's a very rare car.
wink.gif

Youll be fine with any high quality synthetic and a good filter for a reasonable interval. We like M1 0/40, Castrol 0/40, BMW 5/30, etc. The M54s in your car arent that picky, I run 15/40 in some of the higher mileage oil burning ones we see.

Originally Posted by Maylo
I'll be carrying out an oil change shortly & wondered if anyone could advice me of any particular make, type, etc please? BMW seem to recommend BMW Longlife I. I have a 2004 Z4 2.2i auto with 18,000 miles.

There is no "seems to recommend" from BMW. They will give a required approval.

Get the least expensive oil you can get that has the required approval. Not one that is "recommended for" the approval, one that says it actually has it. Brand and grade (viscosity) are irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Donald
Look in the owners manual to see what spec oil it needs. Go to Walmart and pick some up. Decent filter like a NAPA Gold.

Your generic answer won't work in this case. Per the OP, he has a BMW. Walmart doesn't carry oil filters for BMWs, nor does it carry any oils that are BMW LL-01 spec...unless you get lucky and find some old stock Castrol Edge 0w-40 that still had the LL-01 approval.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here is some Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 that is BMW Longlife 01.

I don't believe these jugs are available in the USA. Never seen them before at any auto parts store or mass merchandiser (Target, Walmart, Bi-Mart, etc)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by f355spider
Look in the owners manual to see what spec oil it needs. Go to Walmart and pick some up. Decent filter like a NAPA Gold.

Your generic answer won't work in this case. Per the OP, he has a BMW. Walmart doesn't carry oil filters for BMWs, nor does it carry any oils that are BMW LL-01 spec...unless you get lucky and find some old stock Castrol Edge 0w-40 that still had the LL-01 approval.

Castrol Edge is still recommended for LL01. BMW is not doing LL01 approvals and Castrol changed formula which means it would have to go through new approval, which is impossible.
He can use with confidence Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 in that engine. Both carry MB229.5 which is stricter than LL01. Only difference between LL01 and MB 229.5 is that LL01 has slightly stringent oxidation requirement.

Yeah, that does not work that way with European cars.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Castrol Edge is still recommended for LL01. BMW is not doing LL01 approvals and Castrol changed formula which means it would have to go through new approval, which is impossible.
He can use with confidence Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 in that engine. Both carry MB229.5 which is stricter than LL01. Only difference between LL01 and MB 229.5 is that LL01 has slightly stringent oxidation requirement.

In the past, when these oils did meet LL01 you were all about "you need to use only what the car is spec'd for, period". Now that these oils don't carry said spec... "use with confidence" along with attached justifications is your new twist?
lol.gif

Especially since BMW issued LL-01 approval to Mobil very recently for one of their new oils. So, no, its not impossible to obtain LL-01 from BMW.

Originally Posted by wemay

In the past, when these oils did meet LL01 you were all about "you need to use only what the car is spec'd for, period". Now that these oils don't carry said spec... "use with confidence" along with attached justifications is your new twist?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by drtyler
Especially since BMW issued LL-01 approval to Mobil very recently for one of their new oils. So, no, its not impossible to obtain LL-01 from BMW.

No, BMW did not issue recently approval for Mobil1 5W40. That oil was previously available in other markets.

lol.gif

No, I have never said that. I was against using oils that did not have approvals period, such as Redline etc. We are talking here about oil that retained pretty much all other approvals except LL01.
So, please, if you will discuss this, at least read what I said.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

No, BMW did not issue recently approval for Mobil1 5W40. That oil was previously available in other markets.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NAXXMobil-Super-Synthetic-Euro-5W40

I know what oil you are talking about. That oil was available on other markets before, including Canadian. It had LL01 approval, same like Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 has or Castrol 5W40 has. Just because it is now offered in the US< does not mean approval was not obtained some time ago. The composition of oil is not changed, hence no need for re-approval process like in the case of Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40FS. Since BMW is not approving LL01 (and just check European Mobil1 or Castrol sites, you will see it is gone) approval process cannot be done.

Last edited:
The 100C viscosity of new Mobil Super Euro is different from Super 3000 5W-40 in Canada and Europe and it also has MB 229.5.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NAXXMobil-Super-Synthetic-Euro-5W40

I know what oil you are talking about. That oil was available on other markets before, including Canadian. It had LL01 approval, same like Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 has or Castrol 5W40 has. Just because it is now offered in the US< does not mean approval was not obtained some time ago. The composition of oil is not changed, hence no need for re-approval process like in the case of Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40FS. Since BMW is not approving LL01 (and just check European Mobil1 or Castrol sites, you will see it is gone) approval process cannot be done.

The 100C viscosity of new Mobil Super Euro is different from Super 3000 5W-40 in Canada and Europe and it also has MB 229.5.

You are actually right about that. Still, does not mean Mobil1 is not using previously approved oil. Based on pour point it is SHC oil, not GTL based. Which is not necessarily bad if this is their VISOM based oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back