Mounting Used Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Here in the desert, you don't want tires to get too old and crispy. Looking for some thoughts on mounting these tires, as they technically have kind of aged.

Aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI, in Spring of 2016 she bought 4 new Pirelli Cinturato P7+ tires for it, date code (4915). The car was parked in December 2016 and sold back to Volkswagen in March 2017. It was a garaged car both at work and at home. Tires have somewhere around 10k miles on them. Still a lot of tread.

December 2016 she bought her 2016 Toyota Avalon XLE. We knew the two cars took the same tire size, so March 2017 I took the VW into a Mexican tire shop and for $90 I had them spin on the baldest most dry-rotted mixed-set of tires they had, and not balance them.

The Pirellis have been in the garage untouched since then. Tomorrow we're having them mounted.

Any concerns for these tires for the next 2 years or so? I ask because of our extreme heat. The Avalon has 45k miles on it now, so about 17k miles a year.

0B07F477-0BE7-4F49-88B1-69DED60B035D.jpeg

Stored in the garage? Nothing to worry about. If they sat out baking in the sun I'd be concerned. I'll happily swing by and pick them up!
lol.gif

I think they look good as well and you should easily get 2 yrs out of'em. I think you'll like the tires as my daughter had'em on a Mazda3 and they were just fine. I think the P7+ will be a nice addition to the Avalon in keeping the nice quiet ride and maybe even improving the planted feeling of the car. I would call it handling but maybe, turn-in response.

Honestly I think they'll be fine, but check for dry rot (which I'm sure you won't find).

The sun would be the biggest issue (sun exposure), but the car was garaged, only 10,000 miles on the tires and they sat in the shade after. Fine.

In all honesty I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of tires on cars severely dry rotted and I have never seen a tire fail because of dry rot. I know it is not good...I know they can fail because of it...but I have never seen it. And I work in the trade. Blown out tires have become pretty rare, the tire failures I see are more from leaks because something is actually in the tire...or failure because the owner literally drove the tire down to the wires and the thing finally gave through.

First, keep an eye on them. You are looking for cracks and bulges (Use a gloved hand!).

The cracks are a "state of the rubber" kind of thing. Some cracking is to be expected, so it is the amount and severity that counts.

Bulges should be checked by rubbing a GLOVED hand over the tread circumference. ANY bulge in this area needs IMMEDIATE replacement - not tomorrow - TODAY! That bulge is a separation and it doesn't take long from the time it is detectible to a catastrophic failure.

You should also be on the lookout for a vibration that grows in intensity over time. That's another sign the tires are separating. Again - IMMEDIATE replacement.

The tires are less than 4 years old and have been treated as well as could be living in Phx. I'm cautious and would have no problem running them for a couple of years. CapriRacer's advice is likely valid for any tires in this environment after 3-4 years.

How long do you normally run tires Nick? Wear out or age out?

Tell the tire shop to add a tiny bit of tire soap to the bead area when mounting, if you are concerned.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I have to say that, in this case, I really like the idea of putting crummy tires on the Beetle before it went back to VW.

I agree. I'm sure much worse things were done to those cars, which is why I'm not tempted.

Most of those cars sat for years so they need extensive reconditioning to sell. Most are getting new tires, fluids, etc.

I have seen a tire fail from dry rot, but they were probably 50 years old on a garage find. Rayon bias ply.

I have had Michelin and Kumo tires with severe cracking. The Kumo started losing air, and it still did not fail. Just needed air up every other day.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
How do tires handle being installed on vehicles and sitting outside for years?

They dry rot! I just replaced a set of Coopers Ultra Touring CS5 on my Pacifica that had a date code in late 2016 due to severe dry rot. The only thing I can chalk this early failure up to is that the car sat on a used car lot for about 2 years before I bought it (according to Carfax).

Sun and not being used are the worst combo for dry rot.

But indeed having had proper storage I think those tires will be just fine. Dry rot will be evident, if you don't have any significant amount you are good to go!

I use used tires all the time. My mom usually gives me her spare tires after she gets new tires. Used tires can last though as long as you take care of them, and as long as you get quality tires. I have a BF Goodrich from 2006 on my 92 Bonneville 45,000 miles on the tire too. Still road legal, and still holding air pretty good as well. Used tires are good tires as long as you pay a little more attention to them then new tires. Besides the tires in the picture look like they still have good tread, and has no cracks in them. If I were you I would buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back