Motorcycle: $290 nail finds new home

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2-up Goldwing loaded for travel has the rear tire running at or over its weight capacity...the same is true for most big touring bikes. The weight hasn't hurt anything but rear tires...one has 230K (probably 200K of it 2-up) on an Electraglide, the other has 160K on a Goldwing.

I have ridden with them. At no point was the car tire ever a limiting factor in handling.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
A 2-up Goldwing loaded for travel has the rear tire running at or over its weight capacity...the same is true for most big touring bikes. The weight hasn't hurt anything but rear tires...one has 230K (probably 200K of it 2-up) on an Electraglide, the other has 160K on a Goldwing.

I have ridden with them. At no point was the car tire ever a limiting factor in handling.

The fact that they apparently need to pack lighter and/or lose some weight, doesn't change the fact that they are apparently overloading the bike.

I guarantee that the Honda engineers could demonstrate all the ways the car tire is a limiting factor. If it wasn't, a Goldwing would come equipped with car tires from the factory.

I've stated the obvious, but as I've said it's still a free country. People are free to make poor choices everyday.

Originally Posted by 02SE

The fact that they apparently need to pack lighter and/or lose some weight, doesn't change the fact that they are apparently overloading the bike.

I guarantee that the Honda engineers could demonstrate all the ways the car tire is a limiting factor. If it wasn't, a Goldwing would come equipped with car tires from the factory.

I've stated the obvious, but as I've said it's still a free country. People are free to make poor choices everyday.

One more time: At no point was the car tire ever a limiting factor in handling. (The contrary-it ADDED clearance on the Wing.) The limiting factor was, without exception, clearance.

Wings are rear-heavy...engine is set back, tank is under the seat, pillon rider and ALL gear is over or behind the rear tire...and the rear tire gets almost no airflow. The tire that is a hand grenade with the pin pulled is the poor choice.

One last time: If a car tire was better on a motorcycle, that is how it would come from the factory...

Don't forget, I've ridden car tire equipped motorcycles. They handle like turds in comparison. Some people apparently aren't astute enough to tell the difference, or are just so thrilled to save a buck, they'll tell themselves whatever they need to, to justify their decision...

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you have not read what you replied to, or just ignored it. One more time: At no point was the car tire ever a limiting factor in handling. (The contrary-it ADDED clearance on the Wing.) The limiting factor was, without exception, clearance. Keep rereading that until you comprehend it.

I'm not sure if you have not read what you replied to, or just ignored it. One more time: At no point was the car tire ever a limiting factor in handling. (The contrary-it ADDED clearance on the Wing.) The limiting factor was, without exception, clearance. Keep rereading that until you comprehend it.

Clearance isn't the only factor in motorcycle handling... Reread that until you understand.

It's obvious that your friends have no clue what a good handling bike is. I'm glad they like to save money with the trade-off being a poorer handling bike.

I've taught lots of people how to ride better. Some that had been riding for 30+ years, suddenly had an epiphany and realized how much they previously didn't know.

If I were anywhere near New England for more than one weekend a year, I'd offer to give them and you some riding lessons.

Signed, former MSF instructor, and current roadracer that has also helped teach classes on how to be faster on track, and by extension, safer on the roads.

Last edited:
Actually, the Wing rider is an avid track day rider (has a CBR), and quite good at it. He is on the level of Yellow Wolf handling a Goldwing. Yet again: at no point was the tire ever a limiting factor on the bike.

And yet again: money has nothing to do with it. They darksided because the available rear tires do not have adequate weight capacity for a 2-up Goldwing.

Even the best MotoGP riders state they are always learning. I know I am.

Stating that someone does trackdays, (lots of people who have a lot to learn do trackdays) doesn't carry much 'weight', when they intentionally overload a bike, and run a compromised-handling car tire on top of that.

You'll never convince me it's a good idea. I'll just be happy knowing I'm unlikely to encounter this compromised-handling, overloaded Goldwing when/if it crosses the centerline into the oncoming lane.

You're conveniently forgetting that I said I've ridden 'darksided' bikes. Without exception, the car tire hurt the handling. Maybe these 'darksisders' aren't astute enough to tell the difference. You're also ignoring that this Goldwing ridden by a super duper "trackday rider" is by admission OVERLOADED.

I would suggest they just drive a car. They and everyone around them will be safer.

You've convinced me. Our four sportbikes are getting car tires installed tomorrow. I may even go with some retreads and really save money.

Before any 'darkside' rider posts videos of people running car tires on a bike on a twisty road, I've seen them already. It can be done, but it's still a compromise, that doesn't deliver as good of grip and handling as a bike tire can.

The fairly common 195/60/16 tire used by many dark siders has a rated load capacity of almost 1200 lbs at only 32 psi. And at this pressure the tire will roll and flex nicely in corners, with a total contact area very similar to a leaned over bike tire. Some riders have stated that they actually have more grip using a car tire ...

And I've tried them, and they don't compare to the handling of an actual motorcycle tire...

But Jarl has me convinced: the 'Busa, both S1000RR's, and the Panigale V4 Speciale will get car tires mounted, because being cheap is now my top priority. I may throw some truck mud tires on the dirtbikes too...

And I've tried them, and they don't compare to the handling of an actual motorcycle tire...

But Jarl has me convinced: the 'Busa, both S1000RR's, and the Panigale V4 Speciale will get car tires mounted, because being cheap is now my top priority. I may throw some truck mud tires on the dirtbikes too...

Just a FYI.....be sure and consider the Chinese made car tires to save even more $$$!
wink.gif

Even better, an old, used chinese tire that has been retreaded.

I can't wait to feel that old car tire casing flexing while the bike is leaned over and my knee puck is sliding along the pavement.

Originally Posted by geeman789

Before any 'darkside' rider posts videos of people running car tires on a bike on a twisty road, I've seen them already. It can be done, but it's still a compromise, that doesn't deliver as good of grip and handling as a bike tire can.

The fairly common 195/60/16 tire used by many dark siders has a rated load capacity of almost 1200 lbs at only 32 psi. And at this pressure the tire will roll and flex nicely in corners, with a total contact area very similar to a leaned over bike tire. Some riders have stated that they actually have more grip using a car tire ...

But he doesn't care. He knows what he knows, and will not be swayed by anything as trivial as FACTS!

What are you, twelve?

I will give you one million dollars if you can ever show ONE post where I suggested darksiding for a sportbike.

What are you, twelve?

I will give you one million dollars if you can ever show ONE post where I suggested darksiding for a sportbike.

Resorting to personal insults as usual, eh Jarl...

Why should the type of bike matter? You've made it clear that in your opinion a car tire is not a detriment to handling.

Or are you finally admitting that they are a detriment to handling?

You can't have it both ways...

What are you, twelve?

Resorting to personal insults as usual, eh Jarl...

Why should the type of bike matter? You've made it clear that in your opinion a car tire is not a detriment to handling.

Work on your reading comprehension.

Or are you finally admitting that they are a detriment to handling?

You can't have it both ways...

I repeat: work on your reading comprehension. One more time: they are not a detriment to handling on a large touring bike, because the tire is not the limiting factor.

So personal insults it is.

You, or should I say your friends with the overloaded Goldwing, apparently aren't astute enough to feel the difference, and detriment to the handling the car tires induce. That's scary that they can't tell the difference. Good luck to them.

A Motorcycle is a motorcycle. Be it an overloaded Goldwing, or a sportbike. The one exception would be a sidecar rig.

I rode plenty of different 'darksided' bikes due to having family and lots of friends in the Motorcycle business. They were either bikes traded in, or customer bikes wherein the customers wanted an opinion of how their bike rode. A few even came out to riding classes with their 'darksided' bikes, I was helping to teach. In every case a car tire was a detriment to the handling.

You can keep harping on car tires being great for bikes. Hopefully anyone considering it will do their due diligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back