Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by vavavroom
10 pages. Liquimoly is easily the currently most overdiscussed oil.

th48GSGGNJ.jpg

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by kschachn
I've noticed a trend to your responses on subjects when they concern the larger oil companies. You are very quick to defend them against anything you perceive as a liability or shortcoming. You remind me of the lawyers for big tobacco from years past. Are you an industry lobbyist of some sort?

That is so silly as to be laughable. I just like fact-based discussion rather than unsubstantiated opinion, that's all.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories either that the big bad oil companies (especially ExxonMobil as you cite) are doing this to confuse and fool the consumer. The oils still meet the published specifications and approvals, correct? At least when they are reported in a clear and unambiguous manner as ExxonMobil tends to do. When I wish to buy an oil that carries Porsche A40 approval (which I do for my old Sienna) there's no question that Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-40 have that approval. I appreciate clear labeling and listings, which not all blenders do, as I am sure you know.

It just seems that you are quick to defend the traditional oil companies and quicker to pounce on anything else. maybe that is just my impression. Hard to tell sometimes over the internet.

What is problem with traditional oil companies? Liqui Moly is also traditional oil company.

The problem with traditional oil companies is the lack of information beyond their ratings and approvals. The consumer is left with advertisements and trying to discern SDS sheets and possibly some analysis by the Russian oil club. Some of these oil behemoth's are slightly more forthcoming than others. At the end of the day they are probably more alike than different for any given approval. The Mobil 1's and Cstrol Syntec's of the world don't want anyone to know that the Walmart synthetic is most likely exactly the same except for the packaging and advertising budget hence the murkiness of information. Doesn't make them bad oils, just maybe somewhat mis-represented as to why they may be better than a cheaper alternative. I am not as familiar with Liqui-Moly but it seems they got their teat in a wringer for mis-representing their product in contravention of German law. They seem to follow the American advertising standards as mostly fluff. They may be great otherwise but don't meet my expectations of what a boutique oil should be.
I am a fanboy of expensive oils like Ravenol, and non-approved oils like Red Line, maybe MPT in the future. These oils at least seem to give an idea what their ingredients are and while playing some semantics games with their advertising, they at least offer some disclosure in their tests and ingredients without proportions. Am I wasting my money by foregoing the cheapest appropriate oil? Yes I am, but its my money to waste.

The problem with traditional oil companies is the lack of information beyond their ratings and approvals. The consumer is left with advertisements and trying to discern SDS sheets and possibly some analysis by the Russian oil club. Some of these oil behemoth's are slightly more forthcoming than others. At the end of the day they are probably more alike than different for any given approval. The Mobil 1's and Cstrol Syntec's of the world don't want anyone to know that the Walmart synthetic is most likely exactly the same except for the packaging and advertising budget hence the murkiness of information. Doesn't make them bad oils, just maybe somewhat mis-represented as to why they may be better than a cheaper alternative. I am not as familiar with Liqui-Moly but it seems they got their teat in a wringer for mis-representing their product in contravention of German law. They seem to follow the American advertising standards as mostly fluff. They may be great otherwise but don't meet my expectations of what a boutique oil should be.
I am a fanboy of expensive oils like Ravenol, and non-approved oils like Red Line, maybe MPT in the future. These oils at least seem to give an idea what their ingredients are and while playing some semantics games with their advertising, they at least offer some disclosure in their tests and ingredients without proportions. Am I wasting my money by foregoing the cheapest appropriate oil? Yes I am, but its my money to waste.

Well that pretty much explains how you thought I was some sort of double agent
smirk2.gif

I am not sure that non-traditional companies are any more forthcoming than traditional. Yes Ravenol is penetrating market and becoming darling among enthusiasts bcs. of transparency, but that could change in a second if they change formulation.

I use it for the Merc because it's what my mechanic uses. It is 229.5 spec'd (LM 5W40 Hightech) so I don't have any issued with it. Is it overrated? I believe specific "tiers" of it, i.e Top Tech, definitely are. Honestly next oil change I will do on my own and just use M1 0W40 with the fleece filter.

In a FB VW group regarding the difference between Leichtlauf High Tech and Synthoil: "Almost lost track of this thread. From my Liqui Moly guy.

"Both oil are a combination of group 3 and 4 base oil.
The additives in Leichtlauf are the best combo for the new engines
You are correct 4 is a higher grade base oil"

As stated before, that is wrong. Motul 8100 Series is not PAO. Motul loses at court in Germany this Year and therefore was forced to re-label the 8100 Series here in Germany.

Compared to this, the LM Synthoil is PAO.

Fine to see how marketing and Tell-tales works...

My package from www.shopdap.com just showed up for my next oil change - 6L of LM with a filter and plug and will do spark plugs on this round as well to prep for a new turbo/tune going on next week! Expect my UOA to show no drama - only been 5K. Need to keep this LM Kool-Aid thread going strong!

^^^That is so epic and wins BITOG today! And this from a LM user!

Just adding my 2c and just to clarify....Molygen IS NOT 229.5 certified and produced some pretty ordinary UOA results...SO YES...LM Engine Oils are highly overrated.

Their additives Createc ect are decent tho

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Debe
Just adding my 2c and just to clarify....Molygen IS NOT 229.5 certified and produced some pretty ordinary UOA results...SO YES...LM Engine Oils are highly overrated.

Interesting, how would you know that? If you know enough that the Molygen oil is not an approved 229.5 lubricant, what is it that shows you that Ceratec is worth something?

Originally Posted by Debe

Molygen possesses no approvals - only "recommended" which is why I don't use it and go with the Leichtlauf High Tech.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by TiGeo
LM fanboi

Stick to tennis, hommie,

Still one of my favorite threads.

grin.gif

Tennis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back