Donaldson P550371 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on a 7.3l Power Stroke, it is the Donaldson cross to the Motorcraft FL1995. Was installed for 9 months and 5,000 miles. The same filter was reinstalled.

First time posting pictures so I hope they turn out okay.

Thanks for looking.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is HANDS DOWN the cleanest looking diesel engine oil I have ever seen...

5,000 miles must be a cakewalk for this engine.

That filter is 99% efficient @ 17 microns, that's pretty darn good for a cellulose media. My 6.7 Cummins Donaldson Blue is 15 micron with their Syntec media.

I'd run that filter 10k miles.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Clean diesel oil used to be possible before the EPA came along and ruined them! My 7.3 oil hardly changes color in 3k miles either. And looks just like this by 5k.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Originally Posted by Linctex

Clean diesel oil used to be possible before the EPA came along and ruined them! My 7.3 oil hardly changes color in 3k miles either. And looks just like this by 5k.

Hmmmm...... Big (Huge difference, actually) between DI and IDI.

I'm going to guess your 7.3 is the Powerstroke flavor (DI)

My 7.3 IDI ('88 F350) turns the oil black as sin - in no time!

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
That filter is 99% efficient @ 17 microns, that's pretty darn good for a cellulose media. My 6.7 Cummins Donaldson Blue is 15 micron with their Syntec media.

I'd run that filter 10k miles.

The efficiency is one of the reasons I decided to run this filter. Donaldson's website does a great job displaying their specs.

There is a Blue cross for the 7.3 but it's much larger and hangs down below the oil pan. Several reports of the sway bar coming into contact with the larger filter and denting the dome end. I figured not worth it to go from 17 to 15 micron.

This is my company that I work for in auburn Alabama. The filters are made at a different plant up north and we make the emissions side for the company(mufflers and exhaust) for caterpillar and such. I am a maintenance tech and we use these filters on hydraulic pm's once a year and have only had three samples come back from analysis as bad in eight years and were both from 30+ year old presses. I know that motor oil and hyd power supply filters are different, but I can tell you that we make some darn good filters.

Edit: the presses that came back bad on analysis had sat unused for god knows how long before put in use and every machine falls in line with a yearly hydraulic pm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back