New Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brakes feel really good to me. I don't know if that is because they are new or not.....the rotors look a bit small.
confused2.gif

Interesting comment on the rotors. My latest truck went the other way, larger - especially noticeable in the rear where historically I have had smaller rotors

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by buster
I had them remove the "Pro 4X" decal on the rear.

Congrats on your new ride. Me, I would never had removed the decal. I like them. I loved the Z-71 decal on my old Chevy truck I used to have. Your truck so totally your choice though!

Same here. Still love that truck though. That would have been my choice.

Sierra048 and Buster:

My son has an '08 Xterra (see my sig) that I have driven many times. The brake pedal has always felt spongy as if there was air in the lines. They have been checked and that's just the way the system is constructed. When looking into that issue in the past I recall reading on the Xterra/Frontier forums that they are all the same.

Last edited:
I love it. I picked it up with 63 miles and I now have about 167 miles on it. A lot of short trip driving. Keeping the rpms under 4k as per the manual recommendations. As I've said before, I drove all the other mid-size trucks and while the Frontier may be a dinosaur, it feels great to me. Engine is really torquey and it has great power. It also feels well constructed. Zero complaints. I haven't engaged 4WD yet.

I plan on taking it to the beach in the fall/winter months and by then it will be completely broken-in.

Link

Check out this link. 3 of the 4 in the end chose the Frontier. Pretty impressive for a truck that hasn't changed since 2005!

Originally Posted by fcjeep
Sierra048 and Buster:

My son has an '08 Xterra (see my sig) that I have driven many times. The brake pedal has always felt spongy as if there was air in the lines. They have been checked and that's just the way the system is constructed. When looking into that issue in the past I recall reading on the Xterra/Frontier forums that they are all the same.

Same here. I've changed the rotors and pads. I've bled the system. Nothing seems to help. Having said that, the brakes haven't failed us which is the ultimate goal.

Link

Check out this link. 3 of the 4 in the end chose the Frontier. Pretty impressive for a truck that hasn't changed since 2005!

buster I'm sorry but I had to stop watching that vid as soon as they started referring to the Honda Ridgeline as a truck. Sorry to any Honda fanboys but it ain't a truck. A 1970's El Camino is more of a truck than the ridgeline, at least the El Caminos were body-on-chassis and solid axle rear drive. Ridgeline is a unit body front wheel drive cross over with the back roof hacked off. Period. Work that thing like a real truck, work it like a Frontier, a Tacoma, or even a Colorado/Canyon and do it long enough and it will break before they will. Front wheel drive unit body for a 'truck" Pa-leeeeze. Gimme a break Honda !!!

Sorry for the rant
laugh.gif

I love it. I picked it up with 63 miles and I now have about 167 miles on it. A lot of short trip driving. Keeping the rpms under 4k as per the manual recommendations. As I've said before, I drove all the other mid-size trucks and while the Frontier may be a dinosaur, it feels great to me. Engine is really torquey and it has great power. It also feels well constructed. Zero complaints. I haven't engaged 4WD yet.

I plan on taking it to the beach in the fall/winter months and by then it will be completely broken-in.

Hey Buster drive it like your gona drive it everyday
for the rest of your life.
I've bought more new vehicles than I can recall and I've never had an issue with the engines
Some full throttle pulls will actually help with the rings breaking in properly !!ðŸ‘

So don't be afraid to put your foot through the firewall a few time ...🤣...

Last edited:
I've bought more new vehicles than I can recall and I've never had an issue with the engines
Some full throttle pulls will actually help with the rings breaking in properly !!ðŸ‘

So don't be afraid to put your foot through the firewall a few time ...🤣...[/quote]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is that posted in the Owners Manual ?

Vary the engine speed as much as possible and make sure to include a bit of engine braking every now and again. This is all you need to do on a modern vehicle for a good break in. Most owners manuals suggest not flooring it or doing jackrabbit starts, but a fair amount of throttle is certainly okay.

Many internet sites suggest a very aggressive break in with lots of full throttle and high RPM. Every owners manual I've ever read suggests not doing it this way. I trust the manufacturer on this one, why would they promote an improper break-in? I suspect the aggressive break in would be okay for rebuilt engines performed by machine shop where the tolerances are much looser than you'd find in a factory engine.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
buster I'm sorry but I had to stop watching that vid as soon as they started referring to the Honda Ridgeline as a truck. Sorry to any Honda fanboys but it ain't a truck. A 1970's El Camino is more of a truck than the ridgeline, at least the El Caminos were body-on-chassis and solid axle rear drive. Ridgeline is a unit body front wheel drive cross over with the back roof hacked off. Period. Work that thing like a real truck, work it like a Frontier, a Tacoma, or even a Colorado/Canyon and do it long enough and it will break before they will. Front wheel drive unit body for a 'truck" Pa-leeeeze. Gimme a break Honda !!!

This pretty much sums up the conclusion they came to if you had watched the video. The Honda Ridgeline was the first to fail their off-road course due to a high transmission temp warning. They commented on the chassis being essentially the same thing as a Honda Pilot with the rear hacked off. It serves it's purpose well, for people that need the utility of a bed but not the strength and bruteness of a body-on-frame pickup. If someone needed a vehicle to fill that role, why not consider it? Personally, I dislike the styling but to each their own. I'm not bothered a bit by their inclusion of it, the more the merrier!

Man, the more I look at and read about these the more I like it! Won't need a new truck for a while especially since mine is getting a new motor at the moment. But maybe 5-6 years from now I'll look at a 19 since it may be the last of this gen.

Congrats again

Originally Posted by panthermike
Man, the more I look at and read about these the more I like it! Won't need a new truck for a while especially since mine is getting a new motor at the moment. But maybe 5-6 years from now I'll look at a 19 since it may be the last of this gen.

Congrats again

You may be pleasantly surprised by them. I was. Get one soon before they wussify them and put in a 15 speed automatic.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by panthermike

Congrats again

You may be pleasantly surprised by them. I was. Get one soon before they wussify them and put in a 15 speed automatic.
grin2.gif

Lol seriously

The engine/trans is seamless. Always torque available and finds the right gear quickly. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back